No pension. No health benefits.

It seems a lot of people are penny wise and pound foolish regarding there own personal healthcare. The C-reactive protien test can be elevated in coronary artery disese [cad], it can be also elevated by other sites of infection in the body -- a sore throat, previous exposure to the flu and other infectious diseases -- so it is not the perfect test. The new paradigm in heart disease is that it is not a simple matter of our pipes becoming clogged. The belief is it is much more complex, that infection can play a part, that inflamation of the coronary vessel wall caused by nasty lipids and protiens in our blood cause the build up of soft plaque -- which can rupture causing either sudden death or a heart attack. Between 30% and 40% of all first heart attacks are fatal.

Heart disease and CAD is a progressive disease. If you're a male 40-45 years of age or a female 50-55 years old -- you have some heart disease -- it maybe pre-clinical , but you have it. If you're diabetic -- you have heart disease, and with the growing problem of diabetes in this country -- this is only going to get worse.

The decision to have a diagnostic test should be based on the risk vs benefit of the test. Is the test being done to diagnose heart disease -- or is it being done because the patinet is know to have heart disease and there is the need to determine the amount and severity of heart disease and to estimate the risk of having a future cardiac problem.

Most of the people on this board are the age when heart disease begins to raise it ugly head, The best advice is, find a good cardiologist -- one that you trust -- and discuss with him the diagnostic and treatment options. Since heart disease is a progressive disease -- stress testing is typically repeated every 18-24 months, if your previous stress test was normal -- repeated every 12 months if you have known heart disease or are diabetic -- or performed when you become sysptomatic.

Medical testing is expensive, especially if you do not have health insurance. But, the people on this board have planned and sacrificed to enjoy ER. Don't be stupid, what's the sense of finally reaching FIRE if you drop dead tomorrow.

It is well understood within the cardiology community -- that if you have a Cardiolite/Thallium stress test and the results are normal -- your risk of having a non-fatal MI or cardiac death is less than 1% for the next year -- those are pretty good odds and can provide peace of mind. For those of you scared at the notion of injecting a radioactive tracer/drug into your body to evaluate heart disease -- you face a much greated risk everyday when you get behind the wheel of your car.

dwk

Nice post DWK. The problem with being penny wise and pound foolish is finding good advise on what tests should be done and when.

From the perspective of available cardiovascular diagnosis and therapeutic procedures, a thallium test is inexpensive - actually an echo stress test which if done and/or diagnosed by a competent cardiologist is cheaper and can give a similar quality of diagnosis information. When you get into angiography and electrophsyiology techniques, prices go 'way' up.

The main areas which contribute to health are lifestyle choices and genetics. If your genetics show a propensity for a certain type of disease, then I would at least make sure that a more rigorous or frequent type of screening be done. As for vaccinations, being in the Reserves as well as working inthe healthcare environment, I have no choice - I will be vaccinated. Haven't run into a problem yet. For the lifestyle choice aspect, the mantra remains exercising, eating right and resting appropriately.

Bridget

It seems to me that trying to find a good doctor is like trying to find a good financial advisor. There may be some good ones out there, but what are your chances of finding them? and how much time and money is it going to cost you to identify them? Plus, how much harm is going to be done by the poor ones you run across in the process? I hear people tell me they have a good doctor just like I hear people tell me they have a great financial advisor. But when I listen to the reasons they've concluded their doctor/FA is good, I have to conclude that most people delude themselves on these topics.

At least in the case of financial advisors I have the choice to avoid them and do it myself. The AMA has made sure we are all dependent on doctors for certain things. :-[

((^+^)) SG said:
It seems to me that trying to find a good doctor is like trying to find a good financial advisor.  There may be some good ones out there, but what are your chances of finding them? and how much time and money is it going to cost you to identify them?  Plus, how much harm is going to be done by the poor ones you run across in the process?  I hear people tell me they have a good doctor just like I hear people tell me they have a great financial advisor.  But when I listen to the reasons they've concluded their doctor/FA is good, I have to conclude that most people delude themselves on these topics.

At least in the case of financial advisors I have the choice to avoid them and do it myself.  The AMA has made sure we are all dependent on doctors for certain things.   :-[

Excellent post!

JG

Back
Top Bottom