Nothing Like Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience is Texas is like any other place with both good and bad. Some people, though, see only what they look for, and miss everything else.

Generic criticism of a state is really unpleasant, and it's also stereotypical.

I was unfortunate enough to live in Texas and Kansas twice due to spouse being in the military. I know what it’s like and thankfully I will never have to do it again. Yes pigs are very intelligent creatures. I read that 2 poachers in Africa on a wild game preserve were illegally hunting lions and the lions ate them.

The hog population in Texas is out of control. Bonus points: if you hit one going the right speed they will flip your car. I moved to Texas bc for the most part they are some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet, even in the cities.

Being a new resident of Texas as of five months ago, I thought this would be a good thread to visit. Based on the latter half of the responses, I picked the wrong thread to read. Although we didn't choose to move to Texas and wouldn't have if our only child hadn't moved here, threads like these tend to fork into griping contests. I heard enough bad things about Texas from fellow Californians, a vast majority who had never stepped foot into the state. :mad:

Funny you should mention Californians. Just recently (since January), two new members of our ROMEO group just moved here (Texas) from California. I hear others are coming too. :facepalm:

Where is REWhoo with the list!

OK, I found REWhoo's list (reasons not to move to Texas). This is for informational purposes only. (Move here at your own risk)

"Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, pirate attacks and amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, the highest homeowner insurance rates in the US, unbelievably high property taxes, mind-numbing traffic jams, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees."

I had nice friends in every state but it’s more the culture and weather that I didn’t like. We still visit Texas family and friends. If I was somewhere that people were bragging about this type of event I wouldn’t be able to keep my opinion to myself. Of course no one I know would participate.

This weekend our county held their St Portricks Day Hunt .

Nothing says "holiday" quite like killing a bunch of animals.

One of the frequent comments I see about E-R.org is how nice and supportive folks are on the forum. I guess they'll have second thoughts when they read this thread. "I don't like your state because people who live there are ______________" always reflects poorly on the poster.

Rewahoo, staying quiet when animals are being slaughtered for amusement is wrong.

My town in Minnesota had a special Deer Hunt recently.

The archers were also mandated to label their arrows with an individual ID number, and property owners were given more opportunities to veto hunting near their land. Additionally, hunters were required to cover deer carcasses with a tarp during removal, primarily to shield children from potentially traumatic images. :LOL:

Rewahoo, staying quiet when animals are being slaughtered for amusement is wrong.

Do you understand why they are slaughtering these animals? Is there a better way to do it? Hire special pig exterminating teams and pay them money no matter how expensive?

So they turned it into a hunt instead of calling Animal Control which is not an option with feral hogs out in the country.

Recruiting hunters is probably the only control option available.

Last edited:
Feral pigs are a huge problem here. They damage hunting land and farm land, (also golf courses, etc) and destroy habitat for the indigenous species (both plant and animal). While this sort of hunt is not "sporting" it is necessary to keep this invasive and damaging animal population under control

+1

A quick look at "feral hog damage" on Google Images will show the tremendous destructive power of these animals whose populations have grown out of control. https://www.google.com/search?q=fer...UIDigB&biw=1309&bih=688#imgrc=0QfmkdtPbomDUM:

Feral pigs are a real problem here in South Florida as well.

Were these pigs slaughtered? To me that’s what happens to the cows and chickens that are in the supermarket and we buy for dinner. My understanding of the feral pigs is they are in the open and hunted with weapons. I also understand that much of that hunt is eaten.

This may be the first actual pig thread to be shut down by porky [emoji4]

Feral hogs and coyotes are a menace. Might as well have fun exterminating them. I guess they could all wear sack cloth and ashes, but where’s the fun in that?

They're not as bad as they look!

268x0w.jpg

Nothing says "holiday" quite like killing a bunch of animals.

I don't have a hog in this fight:D (I don't hunt).

But I expect the rancher in Texas sees feral hogs as no different than a rat in NYC or Boston. Except the Texans eat the hog. Not sure many New Yorker's or Bostonian's eat the dead rat.

There is a difference between hunting and slaughtering. My dad hunted pheasants and rabbits and we ate them. My ex hunted deer and we ate the one he usually killed. This was a organized slaughter. Killing for the fun of it.

I doubt that any of the meat went to waste...

Any why did your dad and ex hunt:confused: I would bet for the fun of it!!!

Also, I remember seeing on TV where somewhere in NY (I think somewhere on Long Island) they had an out of control deer population... FWIR people did not want to allow hunting, so they hired 'professional' people to cull the herd... at a cost of a good amount of money...

Just have a longer deer season and it can be done and the state can make money....

But I expect the rancher in Texas sees feral hogs as no different than a rat in NYC or Boston.

It's no different!

Everyone knows about the New York and Boston annual St Ratricks Day Hunt. Townhouse owners will let hunters hunt wild rats on their property from Saturday till noon Sunday . Must be approved by the county Sheriffs and Hunting assn. Some folks hunt with dogs and a knife , Lots of bowhunters . and lots of gun hunters . Rat hunting has went hi Tech , Drones and some kind of herd trackers. At the end of the party they say a prayer for safety, go over the rules again then they play Sinatra's New York New York or The Standell's Dirty Water.

Except the Texans eat the hog. Not sure many New Yorker's or Bostonian's eat the dead rat.

Them's good eatin!

Last edited:
Even if the population needs to be culled it can be done without celebrating. To make it a event and celebrate all these animals deaths is bizarre. I certainly wouldn’t want to teach my kids or grandchildren that this is acceptable behavior. We live in the West and have our fair share of people that spout they don’t want their freedoms or their guns taken away. Yes there are bad people in every state. Here a bar had a coyote hunt and paid people for killing them. It was a event and thankfully when it got out it was stopped. We have too many coyotes and can’t let our little dogs outside even during the day without us. If you call animal control they laugh and say they will go back to the mountains. My sister has a coyote hanging around her apartment building in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom