Now I know the world is ending...Butter shortage in France!

bclover

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
;)As a baker, my emergency grab and go package does not include enough water for each person. It includes a block of each chocolate (bittersweet and semi sweet and milk) coco powder and about 10 lbs of European butter (Higher in butterfat)

So you can imagine I am currently in a light panic because,.....

Butter shortage in France amid global demand for pastries - ABC News

Be Advised, I am sending out the Ninja hitman to all posters who suggest making croissants with margarine :hide: I will find you. ;)

Last edited:
$7.90 per kg is $3.59 a pound. That's cheap here. As we approach Thanksgiving, I'm hoping to see butter, which can be frozen, drop to $3.00 a pound or less.

I'm saddened to see the French bakers are buying pastry dough, though. Convenience and lower labor costs win out over freshness and quality again.

Margarine is evil, satanic, toxic, and made from the souls of deadf serial killers.
Butter and bacon solve all of mankind's challenges.
These are my facts and you are welcome to them.

$7.90 per kg is $3.59 a pound. That's cheap here. As we approach Thanksgiving, I'm hoping to see butter, which can be frozen, drop to $3.00 a pound or less.

I'm saddened to see the French bakers are buying pastry dough, though. Convenience and lower labor costs win out over freshness and quality again.

Supposedly though beginning next year croissants and pain au chocolat made with fresh dough (butter, flour and yeast) will be able to differentiate themselves by carrying the "traditional" label. Baguettes already have this legal title.
So if you use pre-made dough you can only call your creation a "croissant" not a traditional croissant or baguette.

Oh no! I am going through the French strategic reserve of butter all by myself. Yesterday I made a Tarte Tatin with buttery puff pastry and used another stick of butter just to caramelize the apples.. and of course, I served it with a dollop of crème fraiche as one should...

It is hard for me to believe that France is facing milk shortages. Until very recently they had a chronic problem with overproduction.

Last edited:
We had a shortage of butter in Canada a few months ago. Mostly at the wholesale/industrial/commercial levels. It was not noticeable at the retail level.

Retail prices did go up a little, now they are back down. Supply side issue...not certain why though.

Last edited:
Be Advised, I am sending out the Ninja hitman to all posters who suggest making croissants with margarine :hide: I will find you. ;)

Quelle dommage! Zut alors! and all those other French words!

Croissants made with margarine would surely clog up the stomach. :sick:

Et le foie exploserait!

I don't care for butter on bread or by itself in any form, but holiday cookies would be far less flavorful if I had to use Crisco or the dreaded margarine for shortening.

Croissants made with margarine would surely clog up the stomach. :sick:

We had a shortage of butter in Canada a few months ago. Mostly at the wholesale/industrial/commercial levels. It was not noticeable at the retail level.

Retail prices did go up a little, now they are back down. Supply side issue...not certain why though.

Here’s why: the nutritionists pronounced that butter was good for you, and we all threw out the margarine and began eating it!

Butter shortage in Canada due to consumer shift from margarine, says group - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Thread reminds me of the first few cycling weekends in Montreal DW and I attended.
There were three bakeries within 1/4 mile of the hotels we used, had to sample the croissants at each....all three days.
Now, no fresh bakery in the whole area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom