Nursing - in the end, is humanity

RN with 40 years experience, both hospital and outpatient public health.

Nursing, just like any profession, has dedicated, caring folks, along with those who do just what the job requires. 75% of the nurses I have worked with over the years are phenomenally compassionate people, who are asked to do everything and then some.
Nurse burnout is real, unsafe staffing issues are crazy and generally run by insurance companies now. I would not have a family member stay overnight unless another family member is there with them.
Believe me, I hated waking patients up to check IVs, vital signs, etc. But, it has to be done and it is done via DRs orders.
I am SO glad I retired before Covid. The stress and expectation on the medical field was unbelievable.

RN with 40 years experience, both hospital and outpatient public health.

Nursing, just like any profession, has dedicated, caring folks, along with those who do just what the job requires. 75% of the nurses I have worked with over the years are phenomenally compassionate people, who are asked to do everything and then some.
Nurse burnout is real, unsafe staffing issues are crazy and generally run by insurance companies now. I would not have a family member stay overnight unless another family member is there with them.
Believe me, I hated waking patients up to check IVs, vital signs, etc. But, it has to be done and it is done via DRs orders.
I am SO glad I retired before Covid. The stress and expectation on the medical field was unbelievable.

When DW had part of a lung removed, she was on the "special" surgical wing. Don't recall the actual name of it. These would have been open-heart patients, etc. One night I had "overstayed" and the nurse told me to blend in with the curtains so a passing security guard would not see me. She said "let me know if your DW needs anything as she is incapable of pushing the panic button." I stayed all night. The nurse later told me she was the ONLY nurse on station each night to watch (IIRC) 15 patients. Of course, she had a panic button of her own if someone coded. She also said that, since she wasn't "busy" at night, they had her stock the linen and consumables closets each night!!! This was 25 years ago. Imagine what it's like now.

Back
Top Bottom