NYT Article: Sleep tracking devices/apps

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I’ve found that sleep tracking with a Fitbit provides helpful information for me about the nature/quality of my sleep. Not perfect but pretty good. If Amazon Prime Day sold some solid deep sleep time I’d back up the truck.

Not everyone feels the same way and the following article (may be behind a paywall) is about the writer’s experiences.

I decided to test it out. I wore an Apple Watch, since it is one of the most popular health-tracking devices. I also downloaded a top-rated app called AutoSleep, which uses the Apple Watch’s sensors to follow my movements and determine when I fell asleep and woke up. (The Apple Watch lacks a built-in sleep tracker.) Here’s what AutoSleep gathered on my sleep habits.

Screen Shot

But the excitement ended there. Ultimately, the technology did not help me sleep more. It didn’t reveal anything that I didn’t already know, which is that I average about five and a half hours of slumber a night. And the data did not help me answer what I should do about my particular sleep problems. In fact, I’ve felt grumpier since I started these tests.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/technology/personaltech/sleep-tracking-devices-apps.html

I have used fitbits for years, but gave up on the sleep tracking very quickly as I don't want to wear it 24/7.

And like the summary said, the few nights I tried it, it revealed nothing new. I sleep fine anyway, I wake once or twice most nights but briefly, but I knew that.

If someone really has sleep issues, they should discuss that with their PCP.

I don't have any FitBit, or apps to tell me when I am getting better sleep. I do know that I generally start out by laying on my back when I shut off the light. When I can feel myself going to sleep, I usually roll onto my left side, and will sleep there for an hour or two. My best, deep sleep is on my stomach, on top of my King size long pillow. I try to shut the light off by 10 to get up about 4:30 AM, and usually catch up a bit on weekends.

The only reason I don't get good sleep, is thinking about problem issues while in bed, or eating the wrong food too late for dinner.

Last edited:
The only reason I don't get good sleep, is thinking about problem issues while in bed, or eating the wrong food too late for dinner.

I can relate to those, especially thinking about problems back when I was working (or even now, just different problems).

Context is important, I think. Like timing/types of food as you say. Activity, alcohol consumption.

I have some experience with sleep analysis due to research in graduate school. I think the current crop of devices are a step forward and will hopefully improve in the near future.

My fitness tracker watches keep self-destructing on me. :)

I figure I need something that sits by the bed and motion tracks me in my sleep, using a remote sensor to monitor my vitals.

Back
Top Bottom