Odd car names

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This is almost too strange to be taken seriously: Funniest Car Names

"Automotive names for Japanese cars sold in Japan are expressed in Latin letters instead of Japanese characters -- a Toyota in Japan reads "Toyota" on the decklid. This is where the fun begins.

In producing cars for markets other than the U.S., Japanese manufacturers are often more concerned with "mouth feel" and what pleasant sound a certain combination of words or letters might make, discounting silly things such as grammar and relevance. The Mitsubishi Chariot Grandio Super Exceed, which you might expect to shatter the sound barrier, is, alas, better at hauling groceries. The innocent gutting of the English language involved in the following 10 vehicles [cars, trucks, and vans] is particularly close to our hearts."

Isuzu GIGA 20 Light Dump

Mazda Bongo/Bongo Friendee/Bongo Brawny

Honda Life Dunk

Mazda/Autozam Scrum Stand Off

Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard

Nissan Elgrand Homy

Sbarro Assystem

Daihatsu Charade Social Poze

Yamaha Pantryboy Supreme

Mitsubishi MUM 500 Shall We Join Us?

Heh, I remember seeing the odd Daihatsu Charade on the streets of Queens before the company went balls up. Always thought it was funny, although its nowhere near as good as a Yamaha Pantryboy Supreme.

Here they like to give names to various engine/install packages. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why so many oldsters were driving 1980s Fiat Pandas with the same large dopey decal on the flank that said "YOUNG". That was the car name, the Fiat Panda Young. They like English words; there's the Fiat Panda FIRE, and the newer versions are HOBBY, something else and COUNTRY CLUB (at least those last two make a kind of sense).

Other odd ones:
Peugeot 107 "SWEET YEARS" (?)
Citroen C1 "PINKO"

i have a problem with the isuzu car named sonata. why would anyone name a car after snot?

Theres also these...

Toyota Estima Lucida G Luxury Joyful Canopy
Tang Hua Detroit Fish
Nissan Homy Super Long
Geely PU Rural Nanny

It would be so cool to have a car named the Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard! :2funny: I love it! Sort of the Swiss Army Knife of cars, but cloaked in shadows.

I want a Homy Super Long, although I'd be fairly happy with a PU Rural Nanny.

Here's your Mysterious Utility Wizard...

Ten-Names-MUWizard.jpg

Why, the Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard really IS the Swiss Army Knife of cars, cloaked in shadows! :D Note the tinting on the windows!! I'll bet there's a bottle opener there somewhere.

I always thought "Yugo" was oxymoronic, while "Nova" was Hispanic poetic justice for an Anglo-centric marketing department...

Not odd, but I always thought Chevette was a little funny. Too small and tinny to be a Chevy, and NOWHERE NEAR a Corvette........:)

Back
Top Bottom