Old ACA plan no longer compatible HSA.

teejayevans

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nothing changed since last year, now plan is not a HSA plan, did HSA rules change or something?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Nothing changed since last year, now plan is not a HSA plan, did HSA rules change or something?

I had this happen to me last year. BCBS changed the rules on the insurance plan I was on (adding copays), and that made it no longer HSA compatible. It was really annoying having to change plans.

It could also be that the max OOP in your plan for 2016 is higher than what is allowed for an HSA eligible plan. The max OOPs for HSA plans, and the max OOP allowed under ACA rules were the same in 2014, but started diverging in 2015. If your plan decided to go with the higher max OOP allowed for ACA plans in general, then it loses HSA eligibility. Too bad those two maxes couldn't be the same.

Most likely, your high deductible (and/or OOP max) became too high to be HSA-eligible.

I always thought it was minimum rule, not a maximum rule.

I checked other plans, none are HSAs, and there are fewer to select from.

I always thought it was minimum rule, not a maximum rule.

It is both. Before this year, it was more unusual to see deductibles higher than the highest allowable deductible for an HDHP to be HSA-compliant. But as deductibles rise quickly and the ceiling for HSA qualification stays nearly flat, it's happening a lot more this year.

I said this in another thread:

I have only been a layabout for a few months and already my health plan got canceled.
Now that I look at plans for 2016 I was surprised to see that HSA compatible plans are more expensive than the cheapest.
I believe I have to pay for pretty much anything close to expect-able medical expenses out of pocket since paying an insurance company to pay it adds addition friction. So cheapest plans that protect me from the big stuff.
Looking at HSA vs non-HSA plans (me + wife + 2 kids) it seems so long as my marginal tax rate is above ~8% I should go HSA. Roth conversions will force me way above that. Looks like HSA plans have limits on the deductible (that seems strange to me).

So check to see if a more expensive plan is actually cheaper after tax. Mine looked like it to me.

Back
Top Bottom