OpenAI drama

mickj

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone watching all of the unfold, it’s like the Super Bowl for nerds!

Timeline:

-OpenAi board fires Sam Altman

-The public/investor goes nuts

-Microsoft is furious and steps in

-OpenAi employees protest and promise to resign.

-Sam Altman, OpenAI board negotiate his comeback

-The ENTIRE board offers their resignation

-The ENTIRE board waffles on their decision and stays in power.

-Sam Altman gives OpenAi board a Sunday, 8:00 pm est deadline

-OpenAi interim CEO offers Altman a temporary position

-OpenAi announces again that Sam Altman will not return

-OpenAi hires former Twitch CEO Emmett Shear

-Microsoft hires Sam Altman to lead Microsoft’s new AI team

- 500 employees say the will resign if Ssm isn’t brought back

Yes it has been quite amusing. But I think your last bullet is incorrect, the 500+ signed a letter demanding the entire board resign. Sam likely can no longer come back having publicly agreed to join Microsoft.

In addition, when they first ousted Sam, they made their CTO the interim CEO. She was the chief architect of the attempt over the weekend to bring back Sam. When the board waffled on friday, they not only blew their chance with Sam, but also their CTO and new CEO, dumping her for the twitch guy (who does not have the creds for this).

What surprised me most in all this was that Microsoft didn't already have a board seat, or require one when they made their 11B investment partnership. That left them without the control needed to avert this whole disaster, or at least the ability to see it coming. They were very publicly blindsided, and pissed.

ETA: Sam Altman is widely acknowledged as a good guy, not your typical SV CEO start up bro dude. Kara Swisher had excellent reporting on all the machinations this weekend.

Been watching closely. Both for amusement and because eldest daughter in law has declined past job offers from OpenAI, and one of its VPs was in contact with her on Friday morning (Before the news) to suggest another courtship dance. :LOL:

E.T.A., in response to Aerides, she and son think highly of Sam Altman. She knows him from YCombinator, and they have some social linkages as well.

You forgot to mention that the President of OpenAI, Greg Brockman, resigned after Sam Altman was fired by the board.

The lastest I've heard is that both Altman and Brockman will be coming back but will work for Microsoft's Advanced Research department.

Good to see no egos are involved :popcorn:

All the shuffling around makes me more afraid of AI :(.

My MSFT stock is up 1.5% so far today.

Since we left microsoft in 2015 to ER, the stock is up about 1000%. Good thing we only left about 20,000 grant shares on the table.

I'm waiting to learn the real reason why he was fired.

There was a time I would have said I didn't follow dramas/ soap-operas, but I'm beginning to rethink the accuracy of that conviction . . .

My MSFT stock is up 1.5% so far today.

I'm wondering if there's a smaller stock in play during this whole drama. I see that MongoDB and Snowflake are reacting positively and on heavy volume too. I bought C3.AI at a good entry point a month ago.

I've got MSFT in the ETF's I own.....looking for the next big mover. Anybody got anything on their radar ??

I've got MSFT in the ETF's I own.....looking for the next big mover. Anybody got anything on their radar ??

Looking for a big mover in AI?

I'm pretty sure the big names aren't done yet, like AMD, NVDA, GOOG, etc. But I suspect those same companies are in the ETF where you've got MSFT.

You could also look at some of the semiconductor equipment manufacturers that sell to AMD, NVDA, TSM, etc.

I took a position in Intel, INTC, about 2 months ago, anticipating they will become a bigger player in AI and also because they rehired their CEO from their glory days. So far I'm up 24% since I bought and got a $.125 per share dividend.

Open AI is the child of hype + some genuine innovation + Greed.

Open AI started out as non-profit. They ingested trillions of documents (data) from every possible source in the name of "we are non-profit" and doing this for the good of humanity. Would those sources have given their data and IP to OpenAI for free if it was not non-profit?

Once the initial buzz was out earlier this year, they started to shift more of their products in a "for-profit" subsidiary "OpenAI Global, LLC". That's where dozens of billions of dollars are flowing as we speak.

Oh and Sam Altman is more of a venture capitalist (not so much on technical side). He is also working on his side gig (crypto-currency Worldcoin). One of the reasons he was fired by board was because of his less than appropriate disclosures about this cryptocurrency company.

Guess ChatGPT couldn't tell Sam what was coming his way. Anyway, he will switch to even more lucrative gig at Microsoft. After-all Microsoft needs the buzz around OpenAI going with their $10+ billions at stake in OpenAI. Or the |for-profit" arm of it.

Wonder what would ChatGPT say why Sam was fired.

ps: forgot to add, LLMs are not new. They have been around since 2019. But OpenAI was able to market its ChatGPT in a more succinct way. I am still waiting for a decent chat bot that doesn't waste time before we end-up speaking to a human customer service rep.

Last edited:
Looking for a big mover in AI?

I'm pretty sure the big names aren't done yet, like AMD, NVDA, GOOG, etc. But I suspect those same companies are in the ETF where you've got MSFT.

You could also look at some of the semiconductor equipment manufacturers that sell to AMD, NVDA, TSM, etc.

I took a position in Intel, INTC, about 2 months ago, anticipating they will become a bigger player in AI and also because they rehired their CEO from their glory days. So far I'm up 24% since I bought and got a $.125 per share dividend.

Nice move on Intel.

Yeah, my QQQ's are loaded with the big names. I'm looking at some small players who may benefit. Aurora Semiconductor (AUR) has the advanced wafer fabs that might be valuable in the near future.

It certainly is entertaining. It’s also a lesson in the dual-share business structure. And a gift to Microsoft.

Nice move on Intel.

Yeah, my QQQ's are loaded with the big names. I'm looking at some small players who may benefit. Aurora Semiconductor (AUR) has the advanced wafer fabs that might be valuable in the near future.

I bought ACLS at about the same time I got INTL. I didn't buy very much but it's not going well right now.

Aurora Semiconductor is not a publicly traded company.

I wonder though if someone gave a speech like in "For All Mankind" about rent payments and such if they would hold true to that letter.

I'm a big fan of "For All Mankind" (the Apple alternative history space race show) and I don't recall a speech about rent payments. Can you elaborate?

I'm a big fan of "For All Mankind" (the Apple alternative history space race show) and I don't recall a speech about rent payments. Can you elaborate?

***Spoiler alert "FOR ALL MANKIND"***

Remember the scene where the CEO for the Helios is ousted by the board and he rallies the employees to all leave with him, but then there was the question about if they would get paid?

505 of the 700 OpenAI employees signed a letter saying they would quit if the board is not replaced immediately.

Now it is upto 90% of the staff asking for the board to be sacked, according to Bloomberg with 700 of the 770 employees signing the letter.

More than 700 of the AI firm’s roughly 770 employees signed a letter on Monday addressed to OpenAI’s board stating that the signatories are “unable to work for or with people that lack competence, judgment and care for our mission and employees.” The letter called for every member of the board to resign and for Altman to be reinstated, or else employees might jump to Microsoft.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...aten-to-go-to-microsoft-if-board-doesn-t-quit

I'm waiting to learn the real reason why he was fired.
That will never be disclosed publicly.

I'm not so sure. The new-est CEO announced that he has this as one of his goals for the next 30 days (assuming he doesn't realize he's joined a train wreck and bail even quicker):
"- Hire an independent investigator to dig into the entire process leading up to this point and generate a full report."

Would be kind of odd to make that announcement public but not the result. And even if he doesn't plan to, the odds are high for a leak.

I'm not so sure. The new-est CEO announced that he has this as one of his goals for the next 30 days (assuming he doesn't realize he's joined a train wreck and bail even quicker):
"- Hire an independent investigator to dig into the entire process leading up to this point and generate a full report."

Would be kind of odd to make that announcement public but not the result. And even if he doesn't plan to, the odds are high for a leak.

Since OpenAI is not a publicly traded company, I would guess the only way the public would see the report--if there ultimately is one--is via a leak.

Last edited:

Usually that kind of decision is not thoroughly disclosed, investigation or not, especially at the Board level. And if it's an "At Will" employee state, no reason is even necessary. But he probably had an employment contract and all they would have to say is he didn't meet all the requirements of his employment agreement.

Back
Top Bottom