OpenDNS problem 8/30/20

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I don’t know if this is isolated to me or my location but I ran into a frustrating Internet problem this morning.

Zero Internet connectivity that I couldn’t fix by the usual update/reboot of modem, router & devices. Everything appeared up and running based on LEDs and the internal network was OK. My ISP (Spectrum) reported no outages in my area.

Then I remembered that I’d changed DNS settings on my router to OpenDNS from the default (ISP-provided). I did that a while ago and all seemed well until today.

Logging back in to my router as administrator and reverting DNS settings fixed things. Quite disconcerting to lose Internet access during a pandemic!

If I hadn’t remembered my prior DNS change I’d still be scratching my head (if I could find my.head.org).

I worked in IT all of my professional career. I learned a long time ago, don't fix it if its not broken. (Except maybe patching)

OTOH, I've learned more about how things work when I "fixed them" to make things better and then had to unfix them.

No DNS or ISP problems here (Kinetic) but I have been having a few problems with Firefox recently not working properly on a few website pages... I just use another browser when that happens.

Last edited:
I have been having problems on and off this morning also, get message that can not locate IP address for several sites, located in NW PA and on Spectrum.

that's odd. i also was having internet problems this morning. no connection even though everything looked good on my router. unplugged everything, went and mowed the lawn, came back and it works fine now.

Connected early on but right before 5AM PST the signal went dead and I couldn't reconnect to internet (Comcast). I used my phone to run Comcast automatic troubleshooter and it said it was on my side and would I like an appointment. While I was looking for old modem to swap in to make sure the problem wasn't the modem it connected so after about 30 minutes, the problem went away.

There was a massive Cloudflare outage this morning that impacted a bunch of streaming platforms. It affected large areas (much more widespread than the current map below), mostly east, but not the entire US. Mostly back online now, though initially a little slow?

Attachments

• 0E9A03A4-BF7E-462F-A0AF-9794E3AB193F.jpeg
    0E9A03A4-BF7E-462F-A0AF-9794E3AB193F.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
There was a massive Cloudflare outage this morning that impacted a bunch of streaming platforms. It affected large areas (much more widespread than the current map below), mostly east, but not the entire US. Mostly back online now, though initially a little slow?

that must have been it. thats the dns I use.

Wow, very strange. I have been having the same problem this morning.........cannot find IP address for some sites. DW reset the router and tried a bunch of other things, and nothing seemed to resolve it. Then, just recently, it seems like it has resolved itself. I am in northern Michigan, and have internet through my local cable company. Very weird that we are all having similar problems all across the country.

All is still OK for me now.

My immediate responses have been trained over time to jump on the hardware (router and modem) in my home and rarely think about DNS servers. I can easily switch back to OpenDNS as those addresses seen to be remembered by the management app I use (from Netgear).

My other go-to diagnostic is Mocha Ping Lite (ping and traceroute) for iOS. They’ll report “unknown host” type errors.

The nitty gritty details are way over my head, but CNN reports this morning:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/tech/internet-outage-cloudflare/index.html

Graham-Cumming [of Cloudflare] claimed that internet service provider CenturyLink (CTL) were responsible the outage, which took Cloudflare and its many customers down with them.

CenturyLink, formerly known as Level 3, confirmed there was an IP outage impacting Content Delivery Networks (CDN), and that all services had been restored as of 11:15 AM ET. The telecommunications company said it was unable to comment on certain customers because of customer proprietary network information.

The oddest thing I heard about from this outage is on YouTube TV. Users from San Francisco report getting a Chinese news feed in place of the local ABC affiliate.

We're all connected 'til we ain't!
It was a rare Sunday AM when I wouldn't have noticed an outage. Glad I missed it.

If you have custom DNS, changing back to auto should be simple in the router.

Back
Top Bottom