Ordering A Car

I have not resorted to ordering a car before so only what I think and have read. While the carrying costs are lower for the dealer and that should help you make a deal, ordering a car is a signal to the dealer that you'll pay more. One of the cardinal rules in car buying is to not fall in love with ONE specific car (has to be this color, this model, these options period), or the dealer knows they have exactly what you want so they don't have to deal like they would if you appear to be flexible on which car, and any dealer will have something you'd buy. So if you order, they know you have to have a very specific car.

If you want a deal on an ordered car, I guess you'd have to shop dealers and ask each what the car you want would cost - might work, I haven't tried it. FWIW

I factory ordered cars in 1973, 1978, & 1996. The rest I bought off the lot. What was said about incentives applied back then. You didn't get the incentives when you ordered, but when you picked it up. No telling what might get dropped or added as regional incentives come and go.

Funny story, the 1978 purchase was for a Ford E-100 van. Since I was building a conversion van on the cheap and was installing swivel captain's chairs, I ordered the passenger seat delete option. What wasn't written anywhere was that without the seat, you didn't get the pass side floor kick panel, the pass sun visor, the pass seat belts and even the floor weld nuts for mounting the pass seat were not there. It makes sense but it wasn't written out anywhere So I never gave it a thought. Live and learn.

My personal experience is that, even though the dealer can sell a car for less if you order it, a better deal can often be made with a car that has been sitting on his lot for a couple of months. That, or at the end of the month, quarter and year, in increasing order of discounts.

I ordered my 2018 BMW 330i from the factory and got all the incentives that I could get off a Lot car including a $3500 manufacturer's rebate. I must stress BMW is one of the only companies that has done this. I only buy well made foreign cars as other than trucks (and I do not buy Trucks), I do not consider any other American car as well made. I purchased and ordered New from Audi, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes in the past and I found the German car manufacturer's are better for carrying discounts. BMW is definitely the best at honoring the discounts followed by Mercedes.

Back
Top Bottom