Hiking the Cinque Terre as a senior.

Dufferin

Dryer sheet wannabe
We have booked a tour of the Cinque Terre through Roads Scholar this May. There are several optional hikes involved. We would like to do them but are wondering if they would be too much for us at our age. We are 77 and still quite mobile. Has anyone had any experience hiking in Cinque Terre in their mid 70's or older?

I'm 63 and hiked from Corniglia to Vernazza on a daytrip from Florence in June 2023. There were about 25 people in our group and more than half chose not to do the hike including DW. I looked at the Road Scholar "Hiking the Cinque Terre" listing and believe the text below very accurately describes the section I hiked. It was very hot and there were a few spots that you had to scramble a bit. I passed quite a few people who appeared older than myself and quite a few younger families with kids as well. I read somewhere that the average age on RS trips is 72 and I don't think they'd offer this trip if it wasn't doable for most. Read the itinerary carefully and if you think you can do it then go for it. I did notice that you have the option to skip some sections if necessary.

BTW, picture #5 looks nothing like the section I hiked.

Hiking about 3 hours, approximately 2.5 miles. 700 feet elevation gain and loss. 600 steep steps to ascend at trailhead. Trails offer little shade, some steep ascents and descents, and mixed terrain including steps, cobblestone, and rugged narrow paths with dirt and rocks.

Hiked all over the area a few years ago at age 70. The hikes are not strenuous but it depends on what you mean by "still quite mobile". Do you hike locally on off-road paths going up and down hills? IF yes then Cinque Terre will be no problem. You may want to take hiking poles (or a hiking cane) to help with balance.

I'm 63 and hiked from Corniglia to Vernazza on a daytrip from Florence in June 2023. There were about 25 people in our group and more than half chose not to do the hike including DW. I looked at the Road Scholar "Hiking the Cinque Terre" listing and believe the text below very accurately describes the section I hiked. It was very hot and there were a few spots that you had to scramble a bit. I passed quite a few people who appeared older than myself and quite a few younger families with kids as well. I read somewhere that the average age on RS trips is 72 and I don't think they'd offer this trip if it wasn't doable for most. Read the itinerary carefully and if you think you can do it then go for it. I did notice that you have the option to skip some sections if necessary.

BTW, picture #5 looks nothing like the section I hiked.

Hiking about 3 hours, approximately 2.5 miles. 700 feet elevation gain and loss. 600 steep steps to ascend at trailhead. Trails offer little shade, some steep ascents and descents, and mixed terrain including steps, cobblestone, and rugged narrow paths with dirt and rocks.
This is the description of the hike that concerns me. "Elective, challenging 3-mile hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, approximately 2.5 hours; dirt and gravel trail, uneven footpath with steep inclines (up to 920 feet overall), stone steps, no railings".

Unfortunately, I won’t be much help on your fitness question. DW and I in our late 60s were on a long bike ride that included a stop in Cinque Terre. Fitness was not a concern for us. I just wanted to share that the views were amazing on our trek. There was climbing but I do not remember difficult areas.

You will obviously need to judge your fitness but I would keep getting some information and consider building you hiking strength and perhaps using poles if needed on the hike. Per my comment above, the views were great.

I don’t think RS does anything that’s really tough or challenging. They know the age of their audience. I’m personally not a big fan. But assuming your fitness level is decent then really doubt you have any cause for concern.

I think the age estimate for Rick Steves tours is more like 58 than 72. There are a good sprinkling of 40 and 50 something’s. I hiked the entire trail in my late 50s. Poles would be nice but I did fine without them. However I don’t know if erosion has affected the trails to their detriment. I do remember they needed some serious maintenance back then.

I remember meeting a delightful couple in their early 70s back then. They were cramming in as much travel as possible because they noticed that their older friends were “slowing down quite a bit in their 80s”. They planned to cruise more as they approached 80 since they might need more ship board amenities. I am currently following their example. :)

I think the age estimate for Rick Steves tours is more like 58 than 72. There are a good sprinkling of 40 and 50 something’s. I hiked the entire trail in my late 50s. Poles would be nice but I did fine without them. However I don’t know if erosion has affected the trails to their detriment. I do remember they needed some serious maintenance back then.

I remember meeting a delightful couple in their early 70s back then. They were cramming in as much travel as possible because they noticed that their older friends were “slowing down quite a bit in their 80s”. They planned to cruise more as they approached 80 since they might need more ship board amenities. I am currently following their example. :)

It was Road Scholar not Rick Steves just FYI.

The worst part about the hike(s) is the sheer number of steps, mostly uneven. That and a warm day can be a killer, no pun intended. Bring plenty of water.

Last time I was there was probably 6-8 years ago. I went on one hike led by the parks dept. It was a vertical hike from Riomaggiore up to a sanctuary.

It pegged my heart rate. I’m good walking 10 even 20k steps when traveling. But the climb gets me.

Besides the cardio challenge, you’re walking up and down uneven rocks. So you have to be vigilant about slipping or even getting your feet caught in some crevice.

Even if you don’t have an injury, it will tax your knees and back and in many ways, hiking down will put more stress on your joints, especially if you’re feeling a bit of fatigue from the climb.

The easiest hike is Lovers Lane from Riomaggiore to Manarola, which is pretty level along the coast. It’s very scenic but it’s been closed for about 10 years due to mudslides.

They’re saying it will re-open this July.

https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cinque-terre-via-dell-amore

But they were suppose to re-open several times during the past 6-7 years.

Otherwise most of the hikes have some climbing elements.

More flat hikes are available in other towns but outside of the CT villages. For instance you can take a train up to Santa Margherita Ligure and walk to Portofino, very scenic and flat.

Portovenere, reached by ferry, is not as steep as the CT villages. You can walk around the waterfront as well as a rocca (old fort) over the town. Again great scenery.

If you live in an area with some hills and mountains, I suggest you go out and train. Hiking real world trails will tell you if you are capable. Stairmaster training is better than nothing, but the real world will help you gauge balance, ankle strength, and how you can handle downhill. You need very good shoes/boots. They need to be broken in before you go. I agree you should have hiking poles. Make sure to watch a tutorial on how to fit the pole to your body.

Training may be as much fun as the actual hike!

We wanted to hike some in Cinque Terre about 10 years ago but in the end did not have time to. DW and I are 63 and 64. Last year we hiked Cascade Pass in North Cascades NP and that was 7.5 round trip miles and 1800 vertical feet, so I am sure we could still do Cinque Terre. In 10 more years I hope so but who knows.

This is the description of the hike that concerns me. "Elective, challenging 3-mile hike from Monterosso to Vernazza, approximately 2.5 hours; dirt and gravel trail, uneven footpath with steep inclines (up to 920 feet overall), stone steps, no railings".

Key word here is "elective". We've done quite a few small group tours and our tour leaders have been very good at offering good alternatives. The Cinque Terre is such a beautiful place that if you want to skip a couple of the more challenging sections, no big deal.

Yeah important point about the shoes.

Hiking shoes tend to have stiff soles. So when you step on uneven surfaces like rocks, the soles don't flex and you don't feel the uneven terrain.

That's better than the soft soled jogging shoes.

But on flat terrain or pavement, it doesn't offer cushioning like those thick soles on shoes like Sketchers.

People rave about Hoka shoes and maybe they have hiking or trail running shoes that's a combo of both. Not sure, I've never tried them.

Also if you go to a store like REI, they will advise you to get hiking shoes with a bit more room in front of your toes, so that when you walk downhill, your toes don't get crushed against the front of the shoe.

But the other factor for some of us is that hiking shoes don't always come in extra wide sizes, so you feel more discomfort on the side of your feet rather than toes or the soles.

Hiked all over the area a few years ago at age 70. The hikes are not strenuous but it depends on what you mean by "still quite mobile". Do you hike locally on off-road paths going up and down hills? IF yes then Cinque Terre will be no problem. You may want to take hiking poles (or a hiking cane) to help with balance.

+1

I think this is key, if OP considers being mobile because of walking 5 miles per day on sidewalks, a hike on a rough trail will be a huge difference.
Definitely want to have a pair of hiking poles, if asking the question.

One thing I was extremely surprised at in a couple of National Parks, was various hiking trails where some are paved ! Great for some, but not what I'd call a trail.

Last time I was there was probably 6-8 years ago. I went on one hike led by the parks dept. It was a vertical hike from Riomaggiore up to a sanctuary.

It pegged my heart rate. I’m good walking 10 even 20k steps when traveling. But the climb gets me.

Besides the cardio challenge, you’re walking up and down uneven rocks. So you have to be vigilant about slipping or even getting your feet caught in some crevice.

Even if you don’t have an injury, it will tax your knees and back and in many ways, hiking down will put more stress on your joints, especially if you’re feeling a bit of fatigue from the climb.

The easiest hike is Lovers Lane from Riomaggiore to Manarola, which is pretty level along the coast. It’s very scenic but it’s been closed for about 10 years due to mudslides.

They’re saying it will re-open this July.

https://www.cinqueterre.eu.com/en/cinque-terre-via-dell-amore

But they were suppose to re-open several times during the past 6-7 years.

Otherwise most of the hikes have some climbing elements.

More flat hikes are available in other towns but outside of the CT villages. For instance you can take a train up to Santa Margherita Ligure and walk to Portofino, very scenic and flat.

Portovenere, reached by ferry, is not as steep as the CT villages. You can walk around the waterfront as well as a rocca (old fort) over the town. Again great scenery.

They had issues fixing the trails. Apparently some park official absconded with his park mistress and a lot of public funds needed for trail maintenance. How very Italian.

We spent a week in Riomaggiore last April. My husband was 72, I was 61. I am a great hiker on trails with <500 ft than gain. I do not enjoy hiking non stop uphill. I am not in great shape compared to many here.

The trails were short. But steep. And they don't do switchbacks. They do stone steps. At some points it was like climbing a ladder because the steps were up to 24" high.

Hiking poles were very useful for the downhill portions. The are no handrails and there are sheer drops.

I had Altra "trail runner" shoes. They were perfect for this type if hiking. They were my "sneakers" for the entire month long trip... Working well in cities.

Consider a hike up to a santuario. The trails are often better.

Pace yourself and it will be fine.

We spent a week in Riomaggiore last April. My husband was 72, I was 61. I am a great hiker on trails with <500 ft than gain. I do not enjoy hiking non stop uphill. I am not in great shape compared to many here.

The trails were short. But steep. And they don't do switchbacks. They do stone steps. At some points it was like climbing a ladder because the steps were up to 24" high.

Hiking poles were very useful for the downhill portions. The are no handrails and there are sheer drops.

I had Altra "trail runner" shoes. They were perfect for this type if hiking. They were my "sneakers" for the entire month long trip... Working well in cities.

Consider a hike up to a santuario. The trails are often better.

Pace yourself and it will be fine.

The santuario over Riomaggiore gives STUNNING views.

Also you can hike from Riomaggiore to Portovenere but that's like a serious hike, I think 4 hours or more each way. Though you can go or return on a ferry so you don't have to hike both ways.

There's also some kind of bus service to serve some people living up there.

I believe also there is some kind of tourist card or pass they give you if you stay in one of the villages for 2-3 nights or more. That gives you discounts on the trains between the villages, maybe the ferry and also access to the guided hikes run by the national parks dept. there.

Last edited:
We have booked a tour of the Cinque Terre through Roads Scholar this May. There are several optional hikes involved. We would like to do them but are wondering if they would be too much for us at our age. We are 77 and still quite mobile. Has anyone had any experience hiking in Cinque Terre in their mid 70's or older?

You might want to checkout AllTrails.com. They usually have some good photos and trail descriptions including topology. If you look at comments for the time of year you will be there then there might be some relevant info.

We traveled there in our mid 50s…ten years ago. We had a Rick Steve’s guide book-never use Rick as your single source of info, restaurants close, attractions move, hours of operation change.
Anyway, Rick said it was an easy casual hike..NOT!. I don’t want to scare anybody. It’s not crazy difficult, it’s only about six miles. However, it was a bit more challenging than we expected. If you are reasonably active 70 yo you should be fine. Remember: good hiking shoes/boots, maybe walking poles, plenty of water check the weather. It gets hot.
We did see an older woman in distress because she overestimated her abilities.

One can get a feel for the trails by watching some of the youtube videos google "youtube cinque terra trails".

We will be there in late August.

Agreed the views from the Santuario above Riomaggiore were amazing. There are two paths up... One is super steep with rock scrambling, and one was almost a paved road, with steps with normal rise-run. We took the latter. Same elevation gain, but less technical.

Alltrails was definitely useful.

If you stay in Riomaggiore, or are there for lunch or dinner or apperitivo there is a place called Nonna Vittoria. Order the bruschetta with pesto e pomodoro and a glass of wine. AMAZING and life changing. We managed to stop there returning to our airbnb after every hike. Via Colombo 176. 19017 Riomaggiore. Italy

If it were me I wouldn't do it. I am 68 and hubby is 70. I live in a hilly area and after 2 miles or so I get really tired and things start hurting.

Then again I have neighbors- 86 and 75 and they do much better than me. You know yourself better than anyone.

Always wanted to go to Cinque Terre and surrounds, but decided against it for that reason, amongst others. Instead doing a 16 day small group tour of Sicily and Southern Italy with Odyssey Unlimited. If there is anything we can't physically do we will sit it out, but I think we will be ok on this one. And going the end of October when it's cooler.

Last edited:

You can try a section and see how it goes. DW (67), her sister (73), and I (68) were there to hike from Monterosso to Riomaggiore in October 2022. DW and her sister decided to opt out at Vernazza - as others have noted, the trail is rugged but beautiful. They took the train from Vernazza to each of the other villages and shopped while I continued on the hike solo (had to take the long way from Corniglia to Manarola, and from Manarola to Riomaggiore due to Blue Trail closure). They had a great time doing the first 2.5 miles and taking the train the rest of the way, and we met in Riomaggiore for a frosty beverage in the late afternoon.

Highly recommend you do one of the Blue Trail sections. A quick check ( https://www.lecinqueterre.org/eng/trekking/sentieroazzurro.php ) shows that the Blue Trail is still closed thru 2024 from Corniglia to Riomaggiore. The longer routes I walked in these two sections were very beautiful but not casual hiking. Have a great trip!!

If it were me I wouldn't do it. I am 68 and hubby is 70. I live in a hilly area and after 2 miles or so I get really tired and things start hurting.

Then again I have neighbors- 86 and 75 and they do much better than me. You know yourself better than anyone.

Always wanted to go to Cinque Terre and surrounds, but decided against it for that reason, amongst others. Instead doing a 16 day small group tour of Sicily and Southern Italy with Odyssey Unlimited. If there is anything we can't physically do we will sit it out, but I think we will be ok on this one. And going the end of October when it's cooler.

Unless the trail had been radically improved in the 10+ years since I hiked it, one needs good boots, strong legs and a good sense of balance.

Back
Top Bottom