OTA (Over the Air) Attic Antenna for local channels - What do you use?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a hardware option that would allow an app to control access to your antenna (Like on a roku) and DVR type functions, or are you basically committing to using your TV tuner when you go with an antenna?

You are not hijacking. That's part of the theme of OTA. Various solutions have been discussed upthread.

The one I am using is Tablo. https://www.tablotv.com/

I hook the antenna to it, then use my various Rokus around the house to tune in. I can record and replay. I supposedly can view remotely too, but I haven't tried that.

The biggest problem with Tablo is the uncertainty regarding ATSC 3.0, which we were discussing earlier. It is unclear whether Tablo will ever have a solution that works with ATSC 3.0 in a way that allows remote access via any Roku in the house. They tried (and failed) with a product that had to be directly hooked to the TV. Very few buyers wanted that. People want the ability to use it from anywhere.

Actually, my Tablo is in the corner of the room with attic access for my attic placed antenna. My TVs are nowhere close to it.

Last edited:
I don't. I use Google Maps 'satellite view' to determine the angle of the house to the towers.

From there, fine tune by turning the antenna and checking the signal quality on the TV (usually in some sub menu of the tuner).

-ERD50

I cannot do that, the antenna is in the attic, I can just reach it without crashing through the ceiling below. I have to go up adjust come down, channel scan, rinse and repeat. I know the direction it should be. But the apps are not accurate enough as I am just on the edge of good reception.

I would like something that I can lay up against the antenna and look at from below. I use my cell phone upside down to do this at the moment. I get all the channels I want but on has a slight pixelation that I would like to try and get rid of.

Your antenna has a very broad pattern, so there's no point in trying to tweak the EXACT orientation of the antenna.

If the transmitters are in approximately the same direction -- or 180 degrees opposite from each other -- and within 15 miles or so, one "flat patch" antenna may do the trick. But it will depend more on trees and other houses near you than on precise aiming.

Do the aiming on a rainy day, and get someone else to watch the most troublesome channel until you get the best result. If it isn't good enough, you need "better" antenna, which probably means higher or located in a different spot in your attic, or outdoors. Don't try to scan for maximum number of channels -- go for the best signals on the ones you watch most.

If the transmitters aren't within about 45 degrees of each other, you'll probably need more than one antenna, or some sort of omnidirectional antenna.

There's a lot of good information at https://www.youtube.com/c/antennaman

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a hardware option that would allow an app to control access to your antenna (Like on a roku) and DVR type functions, or are you basically committing to using your TV tuner when you go with an antenna?
I've got HDHomeRun boxes in the attic so a short run of coax to the tuner, then Ethernet. But then you need to get the programming to your TV, which is a PITA. I use two solutions: a PC with software that has a TV as a display, and a Raspberry Pi with Kodi that has a TV as a display. Neither is a "mom-friendly" solution (IOW, I'm often called in to solve problems), but there are zero monthly bills to pay.

I cannot do that, the antenna is in the attic, I can just reach it without crashing through the ceiling below. I have to go up adjust come down, channel scan, rinse and repeat. I know the direction it should be. But the apps are not accurate enough as I am just on the edge of good reception.

Mine in on the roof.
I used DW to watch the TV, and tell me over the phone while I made small movements.

I just ordered a cheap omnidirectional antenna from Amazon. Arrives tomorrow. Cheap but has good reviews. Shall see if it's a keeper or not.

My OTA setup has always been making small increments. Only place I can put up antenna is outside on a balcony.

Most recently, with the setup I had, CBS was only having a signal that was flaky at best. Spring also brings trees growing leaves which interferes with reception.

Instead of having a larger antenna that I had, today I used an Amazon Basics tiny bowtie like flat antenna and now that pulls in CBS fine and Fox (which I wasn't getting). But the drawback is that antenna is for indoor use only. Probably won't survive the outdoors. Thus, the new antenna.

Good News, My OLED LG TV seems to have a pretty accurate RF Channel Meter built in. Now all I have to do is figure out how to transmit the picture to my phone or laptop in the Attic. Almost :dance:

The one I am using is Tablo. https://www.tablotv.com/

I hook the antenna to it, then use my various Rokus around the house to tune in. I can record and replay. I supposedly can view remotely too, but I haven't tried that.

Streaming from our home Tablo when we are traveling works very well.

There are two things to consider though: (1) you need to setup two ports for forwarding on your router (some people may not know how to do that).

(2) your “upstream” internet speed matters. That is is, the speed from your house to the internet. Sometimes people don’t have enough bandwidth in that direction. You can adjust the remote streaming quality to reduce the bandwidth needed, but that (obviously) will reduce the picture quality.

Good News, My OLED LG TV seems to have a pretty accurate RF Channel Meter built in. Now all I have to do is figure out how to transmit the picture to my phone or laptop in the Attic. Almost :dance:

You should be able to do this with a video phone call. You'll need two phones with this capability.

Prop one phone up in front of the LG TV aimed at the antenna signal strength meter. Use this phone to call the other phone (which you are holding.) Check the quality of the picture of the TV antenna meter on the phone you are holding. Make adjustments if needed.

Now, with the phone call still active, climb into the attic. Tweak your antenna position while looking at the LG TV antenna signal strength meter via your phone call. Adjust as needed for optimum signal.

Another thing you could do is position the TV near the attic entrance. Run a temporary coax cable connecting the TV antenna in the attic to the TV. Position the TV so you can see the screen by looking down through the attic opening. Bring your TV remote with you into the attic. Start cycling through the over-the-air channels and adjust the antenna positioning for optimum signal quality. Once you got the dialed in, set the TV in its usual spot and connect the permanent coax cable from the attic antenna to the back of the TV and go through the over-the-air channels again, testing for signal quality.

Another thing you could do is position the TV near the attic entrance. Run a temporary coax cable connecting the TV antenna in the attic to the TV. Position the TV so you can see the screen by looking down through the attic opening. Bring your TV remote with you into the attic. Start cycling through the over-the-air channels and adjust the antenna positioning for optimum signal quality. Once you got the dialed in, set the TV in its usual spot and connect the permanent coax cable from the attic antenna to the back of the TV and go through the over-the-air channels again, testing for signal quality.

Not too easy to do with a 65" OLED. The Video Call Idea could work though.

Our smaller TV does not have a RF Meter built in. :(
But you could bring the remote in the attic and tune the smaller TV to channels while tweaking the antenna. Perhaps you could find the sweet spot and eliminate the pixelation on that one channel you want to watch.

That's one of the good things about the Fire TV Recast... I can be in the attic and watch the TV on my phone as I fine tune the antenna direction, albeit with a little time lag.

Or use a security camera.

I often take down my cheap eufy or wyze security camera and put it somewhere to look at something.

It's already set up to stream live, so it's easy to use this way temporarily.

It is about 1000 degrees in the attic at the moment, so it is not going to happen for a while.

It looks like Facebook's Video Messaging works. So I will use that for DW Chat. :)

Last edited:

I would like something that I can lay up against the antenna and look at from below. I use my cell phone upside down to do this at the moment. I get all the channels I want but on has a slight pixelation that I would like to try and get rid of.

Don't forget there are combiners for multiple antenna signals.

Assuming you have the room for multiple directional antennas in your attic, since I've only seen the above used with outdoor antennas.

I still think you should try some sort of omni-directional antenna with its own built-in amplifier, e.g. the Televes Omninova.

Last edited:
Or use a security camera.

I often take down my cheap eufy or wyze security camera and put it somewhere to look at something.

If you don’t have a security cam, just use another smart phone. FaceTime (or equivalent video call on Android) will give you a nice video connection.

Don't forget there are combiners for multiple antenna signals.
True, there are passive ways to combine antennas while preserving signal, but having done that in the past, I'd not recommend that approach. It's surprising to many people that if you point one antenna in one direction and another antenna in the opposite direction, then combine the two without filtering, you get zero signal. So you need to filter before combining, and that gets difficult & expensive when antenna farm A has several frequencies and farm B has several frequencies. A much better solution is multiple tuners.

Back
Top Bottom