Overhyped Countries

Howard said:
justin, not possible most Americans are less than 4 or 5 generations in this country.

Oh jeez louise....

You better start annotating your sarcastic and ironic posts again Justin.

What IS it with you? ;)

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Oh jeez louise....

You better start annotating your sarcastic and ironic posts again Justin.

What IS it with you? ;)

That's why I used the sarcasm tag. Guess I let one slip.

Howard,

My grandparents apparently hadn't pondered their ancestors' paths to America (they aren't particularly sophisticated folks). They knew that as far back as they could remember, our families had always been in America, living in the same geographic area in the Appalachian mountains/foothills. Of course, their memory only extended back to what they had heard their grandparents talking about, so probably mid 1800's. Obviously, at some point in my ancestors' lives, a boat traveling from Europe to the USA was involved.

Howard said:
justin, not possible most Americans are less than 4 or 5 generations in this country.

I see you are in the race for the title of "Most idiotic assertion, put forth most confidently." What difference should it make when "Most Americans" supposedly got here? Justin is talking about specific Americans, his ancestors. Perhaps he knows more about them than you do?

Hey, before long, most Americans might be Mexicans. But even you can likely see that George Washington and the people on the Mayflower were not Mexicans.

Huh. I never heard of that Red Passport thing. All my grandparents were born here, but all of their parents came over from Germany, Ireland or Scotland. Guess I'm one generation late. :-\

Howard said:
Many Canadians ,a nd Americans, may be entitled to European Citizenship or right of abode, depending upon whether Parents or Grand Parents were born in Europe.

Red Passport allows you to travel and work freely within the EU.

Where do you find information on this?

Howard said:
Is that where they filmed "Deliverance"?

Real close. According to google, Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River (a fun river to go down in a whitewater raft or kayak). That's about 50 miles from the area where all my ancestors lived for as far back as we know.

You could always hear them banjos twangin.

Martha, check the Government Web Site of the country you are interested in, in my case it was the UK.

In my travelling youth days, when I spend some time in France where I was born, I thought it might be advantageous to having dual citizenship so I inquired about getting French citizenship papers. I was told in order to get my papers I would have to serve in the French military. Unlike the USA, I wonder if being born to non-French citizens was the reason.
I wonder what new requirementa are needed to get European citizen papers.

MJ

Howard said:
Martha, check the Government Web Site of the country you are interested in, in my case it was the UK.

Thanks for the information, Howard. My grandfather was born in Bulgaria, which will soon be entering the EU.

I would be interested if anyone has country-specific info on this. I am too lazy to search right now, but it is nice to know there might be some kind of possibility here.

Kramer

Hey mj, your uniform would have been designed by Dior , your boots by Prada, and you would just have to march around with a silly hat and say No whenever anyone asked you to fight outside the country.

Then again, there was the French Foreign Legion, that would not be much fun, lousy uniforms, lousy food.

Just kidding, Compulsory Service in most countries has been scrapped, and Americans can now hold dual citizenship.

I'm curious, do you only become a citizen,
to the country you or your elders came from
or to your choice of any country belonging to EU
or to the EU (if that is an option)
or it does it really matter which country you choose

Curious minds want to know.

MJ

Howard said:

That explains it. I hear theres a lot of inbreeding on that little island ;)

MJ, you beome a CitIzen of the country of your Parents, but you are issued a Red European Passport which allows you to live and to work in any country within the EU.

I carry a Red Passport which allows me just to walk through rather than line up at Customs with Non European Visitors.

I locked in now just in case the change the rules in the future.

I still dream of living in a thatched cottage in the Cotswolds near the Welsh border and wandering down to the local Pub a few times a day.

Howard said:

I am having no luck with this. So it doesn't look like Norway is part of the EU but is is part of the so called Nordic Union. Denmark is my other possibilty, but then I go back to grandparents. And I can't find anything. Maybe I should have an associate work on it. SLC Tortfeasor? Justin? Jay? ;)

Herregud.

Martha said:
Maybe I should have an associate work on it. SLC Tortfeasor? Justin? Jay? ;)

Herregud.

Don't you have some young sycophants in your firm's office that could do some research in their free time? ;)

Martha, they voted against joing the EU, there will be another vote in the future.

My nieces were born in NA, but their mother is Finnish, they get Citizinship if they want it.

Might be a good time to steer clear of that area until this lunacy quietens down.:confused:?

Norway has an unbelievable social system, rich from North Sea oil, the government will even pay for your holiday.

So...do I understand this correctly? My maternal grandmother was born in England, but her family was Russian and was en route to the US (her parents were not British citizens and Nana was the youngest and only child born in the UK)...so, I can't claim any kind of British citizenship, right?

But my paternal granfather was born and raised in Germany and left in his teens (also in The teens)--so I could claim German citizenship? Hitler would roll over in his grave  >:D A branch of this family has been traced back to Spain.

My Italian grandfather was born in the US, although his parents were born in Italy and barely spoke English. Too bad...on the whole I'd prefer to claim Italian or Spanish citizenship...rather Mediterranean at heart (hate the cold, have a dolce far niente attitude, and prefer to accomplish things manana!).

Howard said:
Norway has an unbelievable social system, rich from North Sea oil, the government will even pay for your holiday.

I still don't understand why my family left to come to the US and be dirt poor. :'(

Martha said:
I still don't understand why my family left to come to the US and be dirt poor.  :'(
They thought they were heading south to balmy Minnesota to escape from those nasty Scandinavian winters?

Martha said:
I still don't understand why my family left to come to the US and be dirt poor. :'(

Maybe they were headed for Canada and they missed it by a few hundred miles and ended up on the wrong side of the border.

Hmmm

My Mother's Mother (as a cheap Finnish cook) came with a Swedish family to Canada. Saved a few bucks and moved south to a warmer climate (Detroit) cause she couldn't spell Minnie - SO - ta.

heh heh heh heh heh

astroemeria, you do not have a right to Citizenship, but you do have a Right of Abode, that means you can move and work there, but you cannot vote until after a residancy period, I believe it is 2 years.

Europe after WW11 was a bombed out ruin, many people left, but Europe has rebuilt itself and although materially they have less, I believe there are certain social advantages.??

Italy is wonderful, they really do take a great attitude towards living.

Back
Top Bottom