Own no stocks? anyone else?

+1 with others that if you own ETFs or funds that include equities then you "own stocks". When I first started investing I had a broker at Dean Witter, which shared the same floor as my first employer who put me in different individual stocks... some good winners and some losers. He left and I have been all mutual funds since 1980 or so other than company stock.

We have about 50% of our equities in individual stocks, with most of the rest in funds through DW’s 401k. I recently did some tax loss harvesting to offset a gain back in January. The rest of our taxable brokerage account has significant capital gains, so won’t be doing any selling for a while. Lots of dividends to live on along with CDs and my small pension. I think we’re done being landlords with our tenants leaving soon. Kids will move into our rental property at below market rate, so no rental deductions anymore.

In our early 60's.

No stocks. Just mutual funds. 40% equity funds; 60% cash and bond funds and I Bonds.

I own some stocks. I wish I owned more. The main reason is that they can be more tax efficient than the funds. For example, if you don't sell any winners, you don't have capital gains. Also, you can do tax loss harvesting. (only problem with that now for me is that I don't have any stocks in the minus column!)

You can tax loss harvest funds, either mutual or ETF. You have to follow the rules to avoid a wash sale but that is pretty easy with most funds. I mostly TLH bond funds these days.

I have a small individual stock portfolio . It is my gambling money and thanks to the suggestion of ECYT on another thread it is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom