Pain in the Neck at Night

Okay, you started with a fifth of vodka, then it veered in a direction I didn't expect.

Habanero peppers! I LOVE this post. I ate one once. Thought I was gonna die when I ate it. After the pain subsided (a few hours) I was so relieved.

Until later. Then I really thought I was gonna die. Sat in a tub of cold water and it didn't help at all.

That was my last habanero. I don't think there will be another, topically or otherwise.

Maybe start with some nice jalapeno peppers instead. Then if it doesn't work topically, you could still drink it...

Sorry jalapenos will not get the job done....

Go see the best neurosurgeon you can find. They treat far more patients than they put under the knife. You might be one of two steroid shots away from no pain. They are the most knowledgeable on the subject of backs/necks, however.

Don't be a He Man and ignore or put up with the problem. Often patients don't properly address back and neck issues until they are past the point of no return and there is no longer an easy fix.

I'm just curious, you can call the best neurosurgeon you can find, tell them you have a niggling neck pain and presto you get an appointment? Somehow I think you skipped a few steps.

Frankly, I'm surprised that so many medical inquiries are permitted here.

...because our community is helpful, can share other/similar experiences, and often we encourage the OP get to a doctor faster than they might otherwise?

I think you'd be in the small minority that would prefer the mods ban/close/delete all threads asking for such input.

DH has that machine (electrotherapy?) with the little needles for his tennis elbow. Prefer that to peppers. Anyone heard of Rolfing? I recall a friend, back in college, who was in a terrible car accident with neck/back injuries. She described Rolfing. It sounds painful but she said it saved her life. Good ideas and I changed my pillow last night, better.

The machine won't do the same thing as peppers, not even close. I realize peppers are not for everyone. I got the pepper idea from a friends and after 25 years of topicals, Advil, aspirins. cold packs, hot packs it was like a miracle cure for my issues. My condition has improved so much, I only need the pepper treatment every week or 10 days or so when I feel things starting to tighten up and take almost no Advil ..

The pillow thing is a big deal too. I never sleep without my preferred pillow and take it everywhere I go. I use a spacebag to roll it and put it in my pillow. I got no joy from any orthopedic pillow it actually made things worse.

Do you do a lot of computer work, because that can worsen the issue.

Last edited:
This sounds similar to the pinched nerve I have gotten in my neck several times, that radiates down my arm, to my elbow. A good chiropractor will be able to relieve the stress, and the pain.

If this doesn't work, consult your physician, but be wary of pain masking drugs, that he will most likely want to prescribe.

Ditto
I don't, or didn't anyways, believe in chiropractors; that they weren't real doctors and most likely quacks. My wife, however, does. She's had great success with her pain that I chalked up to a placebo effect. But my health care coverage pays for 28 sessions a year, so I figured it didn't cost me anything to try. So I went. He examined me and had me sit forward, leaning on a board at a slight angle with my shirt off. Then he tapped along my spine with a little hammer thing. Not hard, about like you might play a xylophone and the hammer about as big. I thought, really, there's no way that could have done anything. Then he took this hand held device with a soft, round head on it and kneeded the area. This, he said, was a high frequency, deep tissue heating device that breaks down scar tissue deep inside. He said I had some sort of scar tissue that had built up in the area where the muscles had been knotted for so long due to the nerve stimulation that was causing my pain. I returned 3 days in a row, got the same treatment each time. By the third time, I was already sleeping much better. Within a week of the first treatment, I was completely relieved of the pain. He told me that, while the pain was gone, that I needed some more treatments to really fix this issue. I went a few more times, then canceled an appointment and never rescheduled. I've never needed to go back since.

The machine won't do the same thing as peppers, not even close. I realize peppers are not for everyone. I got the pepper idea from a friends and after 25 years of topicals, Advil, aspirins. cold packs, hot packs it was like a miracle cure for my issues. My condition has improved so much, I only need the pepper treatment every week or 10 days or so when I feel things starting to tighten up and take almost no Advil ..

The pillow thing is a big deal too. I never sleep without my preferred pillow and take it everywhere I go. I use a spacebag to roll it and put it in my pillow. I got no joy from any orthopedic pillow it actually made things worse.

Do you do a lot of computer work, because that can worsen the issue.
OMG, I just remembered a podcast (I'm a podcast junkie) from a couple of years ago. One of my favs, The People's Pharmacy (respected NPR podcast). A brief summary:
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/12/15/cayenne-to-combat-leg-cramps/
I will try peppers, I thought you were kidding.

I have arthritis in my neck at the same spot. I have some PT exercises I do when it flares up, along with Naproxen as needed for internal inflammation. If it is really sore, DH will apply CBD/THC cream with Freeze gel at night, that helps tremendously.
I have some general PT exercises I do for my shoulders that decreases the flare ups of my neck also.
Definitely start with Dr evaluation and go from there.

OMG, I just remembered a podcast (I'm a podcast junkie) from a couple of years ago. One of my favs, The People's Pharmacy (respected NPR podcast). A brief summary:
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/12/15/cayenne-to-combat-leg-cramps/
I will try peppers, I thought you were kidding.

I would never kid about neck pain, it's a real PITA...:D just passing along a natural drug free remedy. It has the added bonus of costing almost nothing.when I make a batch after 5 or 6 days I drain off the liquid and refill the pepper mix with vodka. I usually use a quart jar. I will pour the peppered liquid into a pint jar. When I've used up the small jar, I refill it from the nurse jar. You do not actually need to have ground peppers applied to the area. The clear liquid peppered vodka works fine. I can do this almost indefinitely. MY BIL brings peppers from his garden and every couple years, I make a new batch.

Last edited:
Back in my younger days when I was golfing regularly and would carry the bag around my shoulder I started to develop soreness in my neck that started to radiate down my arm and caused numbness in my fingers. Started out going to my PCP who had xrays taken and prescribed some medication but he found nothing in the xrays and the medication did no good. Decided to see a chiropractor and from the xrays he took he knew right away what the issue was, did some adjustments and I could feel some relief immediately, within a couple days it was gone. The issue I have with chiropractors is that most seem to subscribe to the need of having regularly scheduled treatments even when you're feeling good, seems to be based more on them having a steady source to bill then any medical need.

I think you'd be in the small minority that would prefer the mods ban/close/delete all threads asking for such input.

Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone gets to vote on what is permitted and what is not.

I know that political discussion of some flavors is not permitted. I was just surprised that medical advice wasn't also banned. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't think anybody except the actual MDs on the forum gives medical advice. And even the MDs blanket their postings with various caveats, and tell you to see your own doctor.

Practically everybody talks about what worked for them, with the understanding that no one can say if it will work for anyone else. In fact, that's what most people will say when talking about what to do with one's money.

The only utterly certain, do-it-this-way-or-you're-an-idiot posters are the nutrition-focused ones. They never admit to having any doubts!

There is a lot of good info here that will take a few readings to absorb.

My experience with joint pain at night is that physical therapists are good at evaluating muscle disfunction and working up an exercise plan to minimize the problem.

MDs have ordered scans to see if there is something mechanically wrong. Orthopedic surgeons tend to recommend surgery while sports medicine doctors tend to refer you to a physical therapist.

My neck pain is gradually decreasing. I'm still thinking about that pepper. The body has its own way of healing and often it takes time. Big controversy about back pain, surgery? physical therapy? stretching? wait and see?

I recall back @2005 my arm would get an electric jolt, like I stuck my finger in a live electrical socket. Then go away. I'd raise my arm above my head for a few minutes. This went on for approx. 6 months, off and on.
Finally, had an MRI. Then appt. with neurosurgeon. He studied the MRI and said, give it time. It will go away and don't let anyone talk you into surgery. He was right. Whatever nerve, muscle was pinched, I do not know, but it went away and never came back.

I wonder if he's still in practice?

My neck pain is gradually decreasing. I'm still thinking about that pepper. The body has its own way of healing and often it takes time. Big controversy about back pain, surgery? physical therapy? stretching? wait and see?

I recall back @2005 my arm would get an electric jolt, like I stuck my finger in a live electrical socket. Then go away. I'd raise my arm above my head for a few minutes. This went on for approx. 6 months, off and on.
Finally, had an MRI. Then appt. with neurosurgeon. He studied the MRI and said, give it time. It will go away and don't let anyone talk you into surgery. He was right. Whatever nerve, muscle was pinched, I do not know, but it went away and never came back.

I don’t mean to scare you, but a close friend of mine recently began to feel neck pain. She had an MRI and unfortunately it is bone cancer. Hopefully fully treatable but a good reason to consult your doctor and rule out any serious issues.

Last night I had a conversation with an Orthopedic Surgeon at an activity at my church. He said I was lucky to not have needed surgery. He said he probably only recommends spinal surgery on one in three hundred patients he sees. Only for the absolute worst cases, because often the surgeries only offer relief for a few years. He said physical therapy is typically the best treatment with the help of some pain medications if needed. that goes along with what I was told by the neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon I had seen previously.

Sometimes I sleep with one of those curved airplane pillows. I find that helps relieve my neck.

Others have already getting an orthopaedic pillow - I have one of those and it helps take pressure off the neck/spine at night.

While not in the neck, I have developed two deformed vertebrae in my spine which put pressure on the whole spine. My physio had given me a series of exercises + stretches which have definitely helped.

I was also advised by a doctor that surgery was the last resort - more likely to make the situation worse (and at some risk) than better.

If he's not there's many with the same treatment mentally. I've seen 3 neurosurgeons and learned how hesitant they are to cut, at least on me. One gentleman told my about volunteering at the VA hospital. He said by the time most non-active duty personnel saw him their pain was an old memory.

Glad you are doing better.

Last night I had a conversation with an Orthopedic Surgeon at an activity at my church. He said I was lucky to not have needed surgery. He said he probably only recommends spinal surgery on one in three hundred patients he sees. Only for the absolute worst cases, because often the surgeries only offer relief for a few years. He said physical therapy is typically the best treatment with the help of some pain medications if needed. that goes along with what I was told by the neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon I had seen previously.
How interesting. How do they continue practicing, they are surgeons? I respect neurosurgeon/orthopedic surgeon who advises against surgery. BTW, neck is relaxing. It occurred to me, DH walked the dog the past few days. I typically wear 4 layers with turtleneck sweaters + coat, scarf and hat for hour+ walk. I believe all those layers and restrictions over the freezing weather caused the issue. I'm dressed like a mummy. After taking a break from all those cold dog walking days, neck much better.

My experience has been that orthopedic surgeons recommend surgery much more than neurologists. The outcome was always much poorer in the clients we saw.

Yoga...does wonders... look up DDP yoga..google Arthur Boorman video

I don't have any suggestions but I do have a whole lot of sympathy!

Last month I had an aching shoulder that extended from my rotator cuff through my upper back, that marble shaped bone, and my neck. It was so bad when lying down that I couldn't sleep, and that was awful. In my case it eventually just went away but wow, what an awful thing for you to be going through.

I found that two very thick pillows helped, because they raised my head up so the weight of my head wasn't pulling down on my shoulder as much (I am a side sleeper). But the pillows really didn't fix it; they just helped a little.

Look at the Medcline.com wedge. Not cheap but allows me to side sleep after rotator cuff surgery, and I don't snore like a beast anymore!

Look at the Medcline.com wedge. Not cheap but allows me to side sleep after rotator cuff surgery, and I don't snore like a beast anymore!
That looks incredible. I tend to turn on my back. So I side sleep for awhile, then turn on my back. Plus use BR a few times a night. Would this be complicated?

Back
Top Bottom