Part D Rx Plans

I seem to recall some pharmacies not accepting GoodRx if you have prescription insurance. Anyone recall that?

My experience was with WalMart, who already has our Medicare Part D info in its records and who suggested the Good Rx alternative (not sure pharmacies are supposed to do that, but good in our case). This is from https://www.goodrx.com/blog/prescription-drug-savings-while-on-medicare-part-d/

Remember that it’s always worth doing your own research and shopping around to find the lowest price. Of course, one tool for that is GoodRx. Regardless of your insurance coverage and any assistance programs you may be on, GoodRx medication coupons are available to you.

Happened to us. Our Costco told us since we had insurance on file we could not use a GoodRX coupon. I IIRC supposedly some Medicare "rule" per pharmacist
Good to know. I'm on Part D and I was wondering if I should look into Good Rx, hadn't bothered as I rarely use any prescriptions and then only on a one time exception basis (knock on wood).

Happened to us. Our Costco told us since we had insurance on file we could not use a GoodRX coupon. I IIRC supposedly some Medicare "rule" per pharmacist

Interesting. Here is a page from GoodRx about using GoodRx instead of insurance: https://m.goodrx.com/insurance

You can and should use a GoodRx discount instead of your health insurance or Medicare if the price is lower. Keep in mind that you cannot use GoodRx and insurance at the same time. However, you can use GoodRx instead of insurance or government-funded programs, such as Medicare or Medicaid, to pay for your prescription medications. GoodRx is not insurance.

If you find a better price on GoodRx than what your coverage offers, ask the pharmacist to use the coupon and process the transaction as a “cash” payment instead. They will use the codes on the GoodRx coupon to find your new price.

If the pharmacist has any trouble, please give us a call at 1-855-268-2822 (M-F 9am-6pm CST). Our advocates are there to help you, and can often resolve your issue while you’re still in the pharmacy.

I admit that I would never have gone through calling GoodRx if a pharmacist said he/she couldn't give me the GoodRx price instead of what the Part D coverage paid for, and I've only used the GoodRx coupon once, at one pharmacy :LOL: as DH's meds are $2/mo on Part D so no need to look elsewhere.

$18.36 is $13.50+36%. The penalty is not applied to the policy you select. The penalty is 36% of $32.74 (the national base premium for 2020) rounded to $11.80. $11.80+$13.50=$25.30 for 2020. The penalty percentage remains constant once enrolled in Part D but the national base premium fluctuates each year so the person's penalty fluctuates.

Therein lies the problem. Part D open enrollment for 2020 has closed. If a person is told tomorrow they need an expensive Part D covered drug, they would need to pay out-of-pocket or seek help from a non-profit agency for 12.5 months until 1/1/21 extending the penalty.

MBSC is the expert.

The pharmacist at our local CVS said to me as he was pricing a one-off prescription for me earlier this year, "Let's see if your insurance (Part D) or GoodRX has the best price... looks like GoodRX is $xx less expensive, would you like to use that?"

Even without GoodRx or the other discount cards, my prescriptions are 10x cheaper in cash than through any Part D plan listed on Medicare. It just seems they are gouging if they are charging so much more. If you are using a drug that in on a formulary that lets you get it for a nominal fee, then it's great. But if it looks like you are not only not going to save anything, but have to pay 10x the cost through Part D, then it may keep you from being able to afford the drug anyway.

I think I'll wait until I need something that is more reasonably priced through a Part D plan and then sign up. Yes, I'll pay more premium due to the late fee, but I will have saved so much in the meantime that it should even out.

There is a penalty if you choose to delay signing up for Part D after your initial enrollment period. And that penalty is added to your monthly premium for the rest of your life. As it should be IMO.

https://www.medicare.gov/drug-cover...-drug-coverage/part-d-late-enrollment-penalty

I don’t take any Rx’s so I have an inexpensive Part D with WellCare that started when I began Medicare at 65. But it’s a personal decision we all have to base on our own circumstances.
That's why I'm trying to figure out if I need to sign up. Right now I've selected High Option Kaiser for 2020 but no Medicare D. Scripts are $10 each

I signed up for the cheapest plan I could at about $13 a month. My only two prescription drugs, omaprazpole and atorvastatin are free under the plan.

I would pay the $264/yr. Only twenty two bucks a month. One lunch.

My DW is still on private insurance and I'm on medicare and have part D... Next year, my wife's drug insurance company is changing the rules "again" and they have told her they will not pay for her long term drugs (used more than 90 days) unless she buys direct from their preferred providers. Basically forcing her to buy from them or pay 100% out of pocket.

I talked to out local pharmacy about this today and he confirmed that more and more of the drug insurance companies are doing this and they are running the little guys out of business. (As I suspected)

However, he did say that once you go on to Medicare and have part D, they can't force you to buy from them to be covered any longer. First time I ever heard that!

Have you used the tool on Medicare.gov to lookup plans available in your state?

Most likely you'll find one for approx $15 that covers generics for little to no copay.

I'm not advocating for the Part D program fwiw. I think it's a PITA, defies common sense often, and makes it very difficult to explain someone's true costs when they do have significant medication usage.

But for someone with one or two generics, your plan to go without a Part D plan only saves you money if a) you never need to buy a Part D plan for the rest of your life or b) you end up buying a Part D plan before the late enrollment penalty grows to more than the least expensive plan in your area (which as I said is likely around $15). So your plan will work for a few years, and then it won't, and then it will really cost you a fortune if/when you finally do enroll in a Part D plan.

Also, you can pay cash and use GoodRx or any similar program when you have a Part D Plan. It just won't go on the "ledger" the gov't keeps to tally your retail spending or True OOP costs (both related to the Coverage Gap calculation).

Hope this helps!

Even without GoodRx or the other discount cards, my prescriptions are 10x cheaper in cash than through any Part D plan listed on Medicare. It just seems they are gouging if they are charging so much more. If you are using a drug that in on a formulary that lets you get it for a nominal fee, then it's great. But if it looks like you are not only not going to save anything, but have to pay 10x the cost through Part D, then it may keep you from being able to afford the drug anyway.

I think I'll wait until I need something that is more reasonably priced through a Part D plan and then sign up. Yes, I'll pay more premium due to the late fee, but I will have saved so much in the meantime that it should even out.

As others have pointed out, you can still use GoodRx or similar if on Part D. Just don't run the prescriptions through your Part D plan. Here's a link (scroll halfway down to the question about using GoodRx with Part D): https://www.goodrx.com/blog/ways-to-beat-your-insurance-copay/

Also, I know people love GoodRx, but GoodRx is just a Pharmacy Benefit Manager like the rest of them (i.e. opaque middleman). The more you use them, the more powerful they become. There was talk in 2018 of them being acquired by -- you guessed it -- a bigger PBM: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/goodrx-acquisition-talks-could-fetch-3-billion.html

Thank you for sharing information. There are two companies in Texas with the cheap plans you mention, and I actually signed up with one, but have cancelled it since it appears they are designed to only cover "maintenance" drugs and not anything else. I had a bad cold for two weeks just before Christmas and after treating myself over-the-counter with little improvement, I went to the urgent care clinic and got three very common generic RXs. All 3 were less than $20 with a discount card. One was $3, one $12, and one just over $4. To see what it would have been under one of these plans, I looked them up. The only one that was covered was Flonase nasal spray, but all were only available through mail order. Prednisone had to have a form completed and sent in for a determination whether it would be covered under Plan B or Plan D, based on how it will be used. If it's determined to be a Plan D drug, then you have to send in a pre-authorization request. The last one, a generic to help alleviate coughing was not covered at all by any plan. Mail order would take weeks. I needed them that day for this cold I'd had for 2 weeks already. I have no conditions and don't expect to ever need a maintenance drug, but certainly not for years to come, and unless I'm in considerable pain/discomfort without it, I probably won't take it anyway.

I know, if I ever want to get into a plan later, the premium will be more, but let's say I don't need it for 5 years. That's $900 I will have paid in premiums, while purchasing my own drugs in cash anyway. On top of the premiums, there is also an almost $500 deductible to meet. That $900 can go a long way to paying for any drug that I might eventually take or those "temporary" drugs I might need immediately as I did for this cold. It would also pay years of premiums, even if by then it is $50/mo. I know we never know, but it just seems that when they tell you that you can only get mail order on the Tier 1 and Tier 2 drugs that are covered, Tiers 3 & 4 are not covered at all, and you are going to pay more with the plan than without anyway, why would you? Even the customer service reps I spoke to said they didn't see any benefit I would ever get from any of the plans, until I paid $100s, if not $1000s first.

I'll think I'll just put this money in a savings account and have it to pay for drugs I may ever want to take. I think it is imperative, or at least beneficial, for people who have the usual senior issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, cognitive, visual, hearing or other issues, or a family history of same. I am pretty lucky. At 68, I don't even wear glasses, have no diseases, or weaknesses, other than orthopedic. I am an orthopedic's dream. But with nearly a dozen orthopedic surgeries, I have not taken any Rx drugs. Ibuprofen is my pain-killer of choice and works fine. My major expectation is cancer, since that does run in my family, but if I treat it, with chemo or radiation (a big if) then it would be covered as treatment and not drugs anyway on Part B.

I guess my problem is that I'm just not a drug taker. Now that I'm not working, there is even less reason, since if I don't feel well, I can just stay home and take it easy. No need to medicate to be able to function better, faster. I just feel like, for me, in my health condition, and with my aversion to long-term drugs, it feels like throwing money away to pay premiums to a company that will never provide me any service.

P.S. Even without a discount card, should such things cease to be available, most common drugs can be purchased less with cash than with insurance. I have looked at most drugs I have ever taken or considered taking. The example I gave of my drug occasionally taken for Restless Leg Syndrome, that I get 90 pills for $11 with discount card, is only $36 without card, but is $159-$236 on insurance (depending on plan). I am probably the exception, but feel it's a better solution for me to do without Part D insurance until they come up with some more reasonable drug plans.

Don't you all just hate having to do all this research and decision making. We shouldn't have to stress like this in our old age.:LOL:

Thank you for sharing information. There are two companies in Texas with the cheap plans you mention, and I actually signed up with one, but have cancelled it since it appears they are designed to only cover "maintenance" drugs and not anything else.

I live in Texas. My prescription drug plan is one of the AARP UHC prescription plans. It was $28 a month this past year. I think on any plan there is a difference in meds you are given in the doctor's office versus those in the pharmacy. I had allergy problems a couple of months ago. The corticosteroid shot I was given in the doctor's office was covered by Part B because it was in the office.

The prescription I was given for a corticosteroid that I filled at the pharmacy was a Tier 2 medication and had a $5 copay when filled a preferred pharmacy (the one that is 2 minutes form my house). It was filled the day I received the prescription with no problem.

I also have one monthly prescription. That is a Tier 1 medication where I have a $0 copay. There is no deductible on Medications in Tier 1 through Tier 3.

For the plan I have I have not been required to do anything by mail order. There is a lower co-pay if I use the preferred pharmacy (I could have chosen another plan without that specific requirement but this plan gives preference to the pharmacy that is 2 minutes away and is a large national chain so I'm fine with it).

Back
Top Bottom