Part-time consulting work for nurses

Tracy42

Recycles dryer sheets
Just ran across something I thought I would share with any RE or soon to be RE nurses on the board. Met a former nurse today who picks up consulting work reviewing and summarizing medical records for law firms. She also goes with clients (workers compensation) to doctor appointments as an advocate. Here in the midwest (think lower wage area) she's charging $20 an hour. LOTS of work available. Tracy

She's crazy to be charging so little. As a business person she has lots of expenses an employed person doesn't as well as not getting the benefits that the employed person does. So the $20/hour consulting fee probably corresponds to a wage of $10/hour--and nurses get quite a bit more than that.

My wife could work part time in a hospital pool and make over 30 to 35 $ more than that in CA. 20 an hr seems really low even for the Midwest.

Mwsinron said:
My wife could work part time in a hospital pool and make over 30 to 35 $ more than that in CA. 20 an hr seems really low even for the Midwest.

Work 12 hour shifts cleaning peoples rear ends, getting overworked, being exposed to all kinds of nasty diseases. The RN who is consulting is doing herself a world of good.

Market rates will definitely vary, and you may be right that she is selling herself short on the rate she's set. But, I thought it was a great way to use her skill and knowledge in a related yet totally different field--without the stress she had working in the hospital. She's working as much or as little as she cares to.

Mwsinron said:

Does pool work include working an unscheduled but not unexpected entire 8 hour shift at a hospital with tile over concrete floors, sometimes the 10pm to 6am shift? California has high wages with high COLA, right? That seems much more difficult than accompaning someone to a doctor's appointment for a little pocket money.

newguy888 said:
Work 12 hour shifts cleaning peoples rear ends, getting overworked, being exposed to all kinds of nasty diseases. The RN who is consulting is doing herself a world of good.

Not when you work with infants and premies.

heyyou said:
Does pool work include working an unscheduled but not unexpected entire 8 hour shift at a hospital with tile over concrete floors, sometimes the 10pm to 6am shift? California has high wages with high COLA, right? That seems much more difficult than accompaning someone to a doctor's appointment for a little pocket money.

Hospitals are so desperate out here for nurses you can pretty much schedule your own time. The whole gulag mentality of nursing is old thinking really. They get treated pretty well as far as I know.

I'd be willing to pay well for the proper part-time nursing work. I need a few things examined, along with some physical therapy. :D

Minimum qualifications: Female, <30 years old. Must be in good shape, the physical therapy is very demanding. Send pictures. :D

I think she is selling herself short for $20/hr.

I know several semi retired nurses that give flu shots, take vitals etc for over $30 an hour.

Agency nurses here in Chicago can easily make $50/hr

saluki9 said:
Agency nurses here in Chicago can easily make $50/hr

That's nice jack............ ;)

Back
Top Bottom