Paul Ryan's budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

teejayevans

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The "path to prosperity" budget changes the way medicare works, for those of us born after 1956. Now that's becoming a real possibility, I'm curious if anybody who is close the cutoff actually supports the voucher method?
Or better yet, if anybody already on medicare would want to change?

TJ

Almost everything I want to say would probably produce bacon. So, I'll just answer your question and add one thing.

I'm near the cutoff and I don't support vouchers for Medicare. It doesn't address the real issue - the cost of medical care in the US. Instead, it launches vulnerable seniors out into the storm of US medical care, like row boats into a hurricane.

What is Rep Ryan's plan for Congress's health care plan?

I'm curious to see what the responses will be here.

Last week's discussion on SS's financial problems produced a surprising number of posters (surprising to me, anyway) in favor of reducing benefits and means testing (even for those on the cusp) "for the sake of the children" who'd be stuck with the bill.

I'm fully in favor of making changes but believe that those on the cusp (over 55?--pick a number) of SS/Medicare should be grandfathered in and those younger given time to adjust their finanical plans. Us older folks based much of our retirement planning on the current "social contract".

Nothing like the smell of sizzling bacon in the morning.

I don't know enough about the specifics of his plan to comment, in addition Romney has already started to distance himself from the Ryan plan. I really don't see our politicians coming up with anything other than band aids and kicking the can down the road. As long as the programs stay solvent on their watch, there is no real desire to come up with a long term viable solution to the problems.

I'm rushing to get this post in before this thread is closed, probably imminently.

The fact is that, if Medicare is left unchanged, it will eventually collapse of its own accord, probably sooner rather than later. While, personally, I'm not in favor of a voucher system, clearly something needs to be done. I give Paul Ryan credit for putting out ideas. Rather than ridiculing him for purely political reasons, I would like to see those that oppose parts/all of his plan try to work with him to come up with a better solution. No matter who wins this election, substantial changes in Medicare are coming for those under 55.

In essence, isn't Obamacare essentially a voucher system, and perhaps more restrictive than Ryan's proposal since, as I understand it, you can only get the subsidy if you buy the insurance from an exchange?

Since we have Obamacare starting in 2014, perhaps an answer might be to increase the eligibility age for Medicare, and use the subsidized Obamacare insurance to bridge the gap. Alternatively, if Obamacare is so wonderful, maybe we should get rid of Medicare altogether, and simply let seniors stay on Obamacare.

Yum. I'm gonna make some bacon and eggs for breakfast today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom