Perpetual Pet Care...to include in trust..anyone?

itsmyparty

Recycles dryer sheets
We're updating our trusts and want to include care for our animals in case we 'kick the bucket' before they do...eg. something happens on a 'cruise' for instance! Anyway, we've been starting to look at different places...like "Best Friends" in Utah and there are a couple of others who are definitely not as financially well off as that organization, but doing ok because they all require a fair amount of $$ to participate. Wondered if anyone out there has made arrangements like this and could offer any info or advice. Unfortunately we do not have anyone who could take care of our animals, even for $$, should we go first. The vetrinarian we use has done it in the past for some elderly owners of their animals...but now he himself has found himself in a situation where he has a ranch with animals, including cats and dogs and neither of his children are able to take over when he's not able to...illness and distance are the reasons. Anyway, its a dilemma for alot of us...and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Can't really answer your question right now but you your post is food for thought. We are in the process of extablishing a family trust and I guess we should include DW's African gray parrot. It's her "baby" and will certainly outlive us. He's 10 now and they normally live 70-75 years. The way this one is cared for, it'll probably make a 100.

Dogs we don't worry about as they will be taken care of by DD. She has 8 now so two more won't phase her.

DW and I have a trust and a percentage of that is set aside to maintain our pets. The trustees have agreed to make sure that they are taken care of.

Thanks for your replies...hope there are more out there doing something on this topic too and will share. The places we are looking at require confirmation of donation in a trust or will to ensure a place. The $ amount is quite high, but in actuality it is a donation that helps the place to carry on and we'll be leaving most of what we have to charities anyway. If we had close family or friends we think that would be our first choice, but we have been told by a number of people that often people's intent to carry out your wishes regarding pets are genuine, when the time comes they take the pets to the humane society or animal control perhaps because of circumstances. Since the sanctuaries require at least a 10 hr car trip from our residence..we've got to find out how that should be done and specify. Two of ours take daily meds...one is fairly expensive (has asthma). But with any luck we will outlive them all!!
BTW, I'm sure Best Friends takes parrots....give them a look. Thanks again!:)

I have a Macaw... If he lives to his full expectancy, I need to make 105! I'm sure all of us know someone who is an animal person. I am lucky enough to know one... a 22 year old one.... Who would (and I know this to be true by direct observation) go hungry herself to care for her critters. I bought a small life insurance policy ($5k through AAA) naming her as beneficiary. She is also listed in my will as recipient of "any and all" of my animals at the time of my death.

True, there is no guarantee she will not "drop them off" and pocket the $5k, but sometimes you just have to trust a person based on your observations.

Our dog is well taken care of by friends in our will. I can see how an exotic bird would be a different issue though with their typical lifespan. Kudos for making plans...

Back
Top Bottom