Perspective and a glimse of the future.

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Food riots break out in Algeria - Arab News

With the population going to 10 billion food shortages and unemployment will be a source of unrest in the world

Yet in the western world ...

The Obesity Crisis in America

The crisis is obesity. It’s the fastest-growing cause of disease and death in America. And it’s completely preventable.

• Nearly two out of every three Americans are overweight or obese.
  • One out of every eight deaths in America is caused by an illness directly related to overweight and obesity.

And it’s completely preventable.

But not in the way he believes:

From your cited article:

We need physical activity and healthy food choices in every school in America. We need better food choices at affordable prices in every neighborhood in America. And we need community planning that includes neighborhood playgrounds and safe walking paths.

Some people want to blame the food industry for our growing waistlines. The reality is that restaurants, including many fast food restaurants, now offer low-fat, healthy choices.

For the meals we eat at home, and the meals we eat out, it’s still our decision what we eat, where we eat, and how much we eat. That concept is part of what I’m talking about with Americans of all ages: increasing our health literacy.

Every morning people wake up and, while they’re sitting at the kitchen table, they read the newspaper and the cereal box. Throughout the day they read the nutritional information on their meals and on their snacks. But do they really understand the information they’re reading?

The labels list grams of fat. But do you know how many grams of fat you should eat in a meal? Or in a day? Or how many is too many? Or too few? These are seemingly simple questions, but we’re not giving Americans simple answers.

For example, from Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes (Pages 168-172):

... we come to the experience of isolated populations that go from eating their traditional diets to incorporating the kinds of food that we eat daily in modern Westernized societies. ... and it's invariably accompanied by a disease transition as well -- the appearance of a collection of chronic diseases that are now know as Western disease for just this reason. These diseases include obesity, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and stroke, cancer, Alzheimer's disease and other dimentias, cavities, peridontal disease, appendicitis, ulcers, diverticulitis, gallstones, hemorroids, varicose veins, and constipation. These diseases and conditions are common in societies that eat Western diets and live modern lifestyles, and they're uncommon, if not noexistent, in societies that don't. And when those traditional societies take up Western diets and lifestyles ... these diseases appear shortly after.

This association of chronic diseases with modern diets and lifestyle was first noted in the mid-nineteenth century...

In Japan, [breast cancer] is relatively rare... But when Japanese women emigrate to the United States, it takes only two generations ... to experience the same breast-cancer rates as any other local ethnic group.

Colon cancer is ten times more likely in rural connecticut than in Nigeria. Alzheimer's disease is far more common among Japanese Americans than among Japanese living in Japan; its twice as common among African Americans as among rural africans. Pick a disease from the list of Western diseases, and a pair of locations -- one urban, say, and one rural, or one Westernized and one not -- compare people in the same age group, and the disease will be more common in the urban and Westernized locations and less common outside them.

Mainstream nutritionists and public-health authorities have responded to these obsevations by ... If we stay away from meat, they tell us, avoid processed foods and sugars, eat less or at least not too much, eat mostly plants and more fruit, and exercise, we'll prevent these diseases and live longer.

The problem with this approach is the basic assumption that everything about the Western diet is bad ...

It is useful (as it is when any crime is committed) to narrow down the list of suspects. ... among the non-Westernized populations that have been well studied, quite a few were exclusively meat-eaters, or meat and fisheaters, and so ate no fruits or vegetables at all -- Inuits... [and] the Maasi --suffered little or no cancer (or heart disease, diabetes, or obesity). ... the idea that meat eating caused cancer, and that isolated populations were protected against it by eating mostly plants was raised. It was dismissed for the same reason it should be dismissed now; it failed to explain why cancer was prevalent among vegetatrian societies -- the Hindus in India, for instance...

If we are going to pick on just one of our problem areas, Obesity, then we must recognize that low-fat, high sugar (fruits, vegetables, processed flour, etc.) dieting is the cause. And until the nutrition "authorities" stop pounding that drum, nothing will change.

Food riots break out in Algeria - Arab News

With the population going to 10 billion food shortages and unemployment will be a source of unrest in the world

Yet in the western world ...

The Obesity Crisis in America

The crisis is obesity. It’s the fastest-growing cause of disease and death in America. And it’s completely preventable.

• Nearly two out of every three Americans are overweight or obese.
  • One out of every eight deaths in America is caused by an illness directly related to overweight and obesity.

Damn, if we could get people to lose weight, one out of 8 people would never die! Obviously, because correlation equals causation. :rolleyes:

No mention of the studies that show that overweight people often have longer life expectancies than "normal" people.

I suspect there might be other issues involved with the food shortages in Algeria besides the horde of American locusts eating all the available twinkies. Maybe gov't corruption and crime? Sending my leftovers to them isn't going to solve that problem.

Besides, we want people to get fat so they die faster. Otherwise the health care system will bankrupt the country and we'll have food riots!

Last edited:
I am constantly astounded at the number of extremely heavy people I see on a daily basis. A few extra pounds is one thing, but the obesity outbreak is a reality from what I personally see.
It is beyond my comprehension to understand why a person would carry around 50+ extra pounds. Backaches, hurting feet and joints, breathing issues, lessened mobility, loss of self sufficiency, the need for motorized scooters, diabetes, heart problems...somebody please explain it to me. :nonono:

I am constantly astounded at the number of extremely heavy people I see on a daily basis. A few extra pounds is one thing, but the obesity outbreak is a reality from what I personally see.
It is beyond my comprehension to understand why a person would carry around 50+ extra pounds. Backaches, hurting feet and joints, breathing issues, lessened mobility, loss of self sufficiency, the need for motorized scooters, diabetes, heart problems...somebody please explain it to me. :nonono:

I suspect you are talking about morbidly obese people, not overweight or even obese. I agree, seeing some of these people makes me sad and sympathetic to them. It looks miserable. But that's only 3% of the population. To be overweight, a 5'6" woman would only have to weigh 155 lbs. I think if the focus of the food and weight nannies would change to address the issues scientifically instead of morally, it might help the situation. Of course, since the science is still up in the air, I guess it's better to panic and "do something" than it is to slow down and figure it out.

This is an entertaining look at the weight categories. There are some fine looking overweight and obese women in here. I can't speak for the men. :D
Illustrated BMI Categories - a set on Flickr

Of course, since the science is still up in the air, ...

Interesting thread here on that very subject: I need studies that PROVE Atkins/LC is healthy and safe!!! - Low Carb Friends

Okay, so my DH is suddenly questioning everything. He's always just trusted me and went with it and now he's arguing with me every second (I blame withdrawal symptoms--he's on Induction). He's throwing the FOOD PYRAMID and other similar junk at me (not literally, obviously). I am a sponge for information and KNOW this is the healthiest way humans could eat, but I need to email him a list of hard facts that are un-biased. Anything you could give me would be great. I'd find them myself, but I'm flustered and can't seem to catch my bearings.

Back
Top Bottom