Perspective on work post-FIRE

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After an 8 month break from work, today I started my 1 year contract gig. When I quit my last "career" job I was thrilled to escape the cube, boredom, tons of business travel, an incredibly hierarchical and hidebound culture, and rules that made no sense. It is likely I was burned out. I was planning on taking a year off and then seeing what I felt like doing, whether paid or not. Then a buddy I spent 5 years working with called with a lead on a contract gig working with him. As it turned out, I landed the contract for a year and this week I started actually doing something billable. The work isn't the most fascinating thing I have ever done, but it is well within my capabilities Better yet, minimal travel, what rules there seem to be that apply to me I don't care about, and instead of a cube I spent the day in the hammock on the patio in absolutely gorgeous weather.

I find myself a bit bemused. In my old job I would have slit my wrist at the prospect of doing this work in that environment for a year. In this case, I don't mind doing the rather dull work and the prospect of a year is no biggie. Did I hate the work? Did I hate the stifling environment? Did I hate the lack of control over my own life? Was I simply burnt out? I dunno, but I think it is worth thinking about in terms of what I feel like doing for the next decade. After that, the kids will be off to college and I will be more free.

Being FI is most important. It should give you a different perspective on anything you want to do. If you want to w*rk then go for it. Obviously you are looking at it differently.

I am waiting for the 6 month and 1 year updates. Shortly after retiring I did some contract projects (very short term - nothing like yours) that tapped into old skills. They were fairly easy for me and somewhat interesting but I quickly started chaffing at the responsibility to actually get the jobs done. Since I was fully FI I quickly concluded that Maynard G Krebs had it right and haven't worked a day since.

I am waiting for the 6 month and 1 year updates. Shortly after retiring I did some contract projects (very short term - nothing like yours) that tapped into old skills. They were fairly easy for me and somewhat interesting but I quickly started chaffing at the responsibility to actually get the jobs done. Since I was fully FI I quickly concluded that Maynard G Krebs had it right and haven't worked a day since.

Yes, no doubt the honeymoon will wear off after a while. Such is the nature of things.

Right now I'm working on a little gig, and in some ways its like visiting old friends. I already know its about a week of work, and some I'll do at home. Other days I'll go in and do it there. It has happened a few times since being FIRE'd (1 yr). Perhaps I'll outgrow it, but right now I don't mind, its like a break from retirement, if thats possible ?

Back
Top Bottom