Photo Sharing Thread II

Maybe she's just learned from the underwater mistakes of her father. "No sweaty nuclear sardine tins for me!"
Hey, I did my part, we got her a tour of the USS TEXAS and made her don an emergency air-breathing mask. She'll get another taste of that in a few weeks.

We talk a lot about being a trailblazer (women in submarines) like her mother was (women at USNA) and about the oxymoronic concept of family/work balance.

However today she's pursuing her interests in a completely different direction. She really enjoyed her CH-53 ride and "rotorhead" has been added to her list:

Attachments

• CORTRAMID helicopter ride.jpg
    CORTRAMID helicopter ride.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
Do they taste like chicken?

On a trail run this morning, we came across this:

7835-albums103-picture665.jpg

7835-albums103-picture664.jpg

About a mile up the jeep trail, Bubba and his buddy were snoozing, and woke up when we ran by. It was their truck, apparently he ran up on a rock in the wee hours of the morning, probably while taking a swig, and it just tipped over on them. They suggested that the 6 of us ought to be able to tip it back over, but we declined.

This really made our morning.

Bubba forgot the the trail driving essentials, winch and a high lift jack.

Just out for a walk the other day with DW, took this one at the pond around the corner from the house. She was annoyed that I interrupted the pace, then says "That picture looks nice!"

Sigh. I just can't win.

Attachments

• Local-pond_06-02-11_1360.jpg
    Local-pond_06-02-11_1360.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 14
Our daughter's summer NROTC training continues. Last week was Marine Corps week, during which they were not allowed to use any electronic [-]evidence[/-] devices. I don't know any of the details (yet) but she was extremely impressed. However she doesn't sound like she's ready to change her scholarship to Marine Option.

This is "surface warrior week" aboard the USS PELELIU. (The Navy calls it an amphibious assault ship. The Marines call it a taxicab licensed for fighter jets and high explosives.) The whole purpose of this summer training is to persuade the midshipmen to sign up for more-- so they had fuel for the Harriers and the landing craft, and they had plenty of ammunition.

This week was her first experience with a .50-cal machine gun and the Navy firefighting ensemble. (Hopefully they were separate evolutions, but you never know what kind of fun they have in mind for the mids.) She took care to point out the tracer tips on the ammunition, and she enjoyed their firefighting drill. She thinks surface line is mighty fine!

Our tax dollars at work, folks...

Attachments

• 50-caliber calamity.jpg
    50-caliber calamity.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 18
  • CORTRAMID firefighting ensemble aboard PELELIU daughter on left.jpg
    CORTRAMID firefighting ensemble aboard PELELIU daughter on left.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
CORTRAMID concluded with a week at Submarine Base San Diego, including an overnight embark on USS KENTUCKY. In retrospect I should've seen this career choice coming from a long way off. Apparently the pull of The Force is very strong:

Attachments

• In the breech of torpedo tube number one.jpg
    In the breech of torpedo tube number one.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 12
Hiked into one of our favourite locations in Olympic National Park. First real summer day yet this season and we missed the holiday crowds. Sure is a lot of snow in the Western mountains.

DD

Attachments

• Upper Meadow, Royal Basin ONP.jpg
    Upper Meadow, Royal Basin ONP.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 13
Sorry I just found this thread after posting a couple of pictures in another thread. Resposting here a couple of pictures from Guatemala. A few of the children you see in these pictures have been abandoned.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 7
Foster Island, Seattle

During a walk through Foster Island in the Seattle Arboretum, we spotted a Great Blue Heron in a tree. Saturday 7/2 was 75 degrees with clear sunny skies.

DSCF4058e.jpg

DSCF4062e.jpg

DSCF4063e.jpg

Depth of field

The first one shot at f/5.6, 1/8 second, the other at f/22, 3 seconds, both with 300 mm lens.

Attachments

• flowers_07-05-11_2631.jpg
    flowers_07-05-11_2631.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
  • flowers_07-05-11_2632.jpg
    flowers_07-05-11_2632.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 7
Doggies, boy! Somebody's got trouble ahead!
Officers aren't allowed to touch that stuff, so she has to enjoy it while she can...

I don't know exactly what her college's policy is for firearms in the dorms, but when she showed up at orientation week the campus police were handing out free gun locks.

Officers aren't allowed to touch that stuff, so she has to enjoy it while she can...

I don't know exactly what her college's policy is for firearms in the dorms, but when she showed up at orientation week the campus police were handing out free gun locks.

Time for the obligatory, "well it is texas after all", quote.

Time for the obligatory, "well it is texas after all", quote.
I have to agree that sweating your butt off in Texas and the other hazards of [insert REWahoo's Texas Defamation League list here] still beats freezing in South Bend, Pittsburgh, Annapolis, or Troy.

You forgot Minot ND.

This is my fishhook cactus. It blooms once a year and the flowers are only there for two days.
30rlnia.jpg

You forgot Minot ND.
Ohno I didn't. "Why not Minot" indeed.

The other towns I mentioned were part of our daughter's college search. She started with the best of intentions, but after a few weather-related dorm stories (and photos) she decided that being raised in Hawaii had crippled her ability to attend any school where the daily weather report had to include the words "below" or "freezing".

One of my shipmates was born & raised in Minot, and he joined the Navy just to get out of there. When we were making 90-day patrols in the North Atlantic (occasionally chipping ice out of the bilges) people would complain how cold they were. He'd just smile...

Back
Top Bottom