Picture of the '100% Fixed Income' Investor

If I get any more comfortable I'm going to dissolve.

Everything I said is backed up by existing information, but as you (for once) accurately noted...nobody cares. Not even me.

Enjoy the rest of your day with your hand puppet...I have to go paint some more and entertain some real estate agents... :p

Didnt Sherlock Holmes have a serious cocaine problem? That might explain some things... :-*

If I get any more comfortable I'm going to dissolve.

Everything I said is backed up by existing information, but as you (for once) accurately noted...nobody cares.  Not even me.

Enjoy the rest of your day with your hand puppet...I have to go paint some more and entertain some real estate agents... :p

Didnt Sherlock Holmes have a serious cocaine problem?  That might explain some things... :-*

Thanks, TH, for another inaccurate post that is irrelevant to the thread. All you seem to want to do is attack me and my character. I haven't started a post that addressed mortgage payoff analysis in several months. When I did start such posts, it was always in the context of pointing out ways to use FIRECALC to examine the historical probabilities of achieving financial advantage. A week or two ago I did respond to a thread someone else started and provided the same kind of information about my own handling of mortgage that others who responded provided. My post was simply a factual account of my own situation. You immediately launched into a very verbose tirade about me, called me names and offered sophomoric references to hand puppets that you apparently feel are very clever. Then you branched out onto two other threads that have nothing to do with mortgage and that I had not even posted on and continued the personal attacks. This is one of those threads. TH, that is not the reaction of a comfortable person. Something is wrong.

What is the response and result you are looking for in this behavior? Are you hoping that I will leave and stop posting on these boards? I suppose I might eventually decide it's not worth it for me or anyone else if you continue like this. Although you were successful at chasing Ted away, you haven't eliminated ***** yet. Do you need to chase people away from the boards to feel important or worthy? Are you hoping to keep me from discussing mortgage payoff analysis and techniques? Do the discussions of historical returns and mortgage rates make you feel threatened or uncomfortable? I honestly don't understand your single-minded focus on misstating my position on mortgage analysis and calling me names. It seems so petty and unimportant. Tell me what response you are ultimately hoping to achieve from this kind of post and maybe I can help. :)

Could you please tell us who you support on this mortgage question, intercst? I need to know because, whoever you support, I am going to come out in support of the other guy.

On a more serious note--in my time as moderator of the SWR Research Group, I have only had to delete one post. That was a post put up by SalaryGuru. So I think it is fair to say that I am not his biggest fan. That said, he adds a lot to the board community, and my impression is that he is not too far off base in suggesting that TH is aiming to harass him until he just decides to split. That kind of stuff pisses me off and I know for a fact that TH is capable of doing it because he has tried doing it to me. I know nothing about the issue, but I know a lot about the use of personal attacks as a tactic to "win" a discussion board debate. It's low stuff and I oppose it regardless of who it is being employed against.

If you have something of substance to say, TH, say it (on an appropriate thread). If you don't, I for one would appreciate it if you would find something else to talk about.

Actually I like both TH and SG, and I wish they would quit picking on each other :-/ - The great home mortgage debate also falls into the we'll know for sure in 20 years realm.

Actually *****, I have no problem with you either, and you seem to be posting more on the up and up lately. I never had a problem with your belief in SWR valuations and view it as a totally valid approach to ER as anyone else's. I won't be following it, as I view it as too much work and self discipline. And then there are those trout that I need to catch. :)

The only problem that I ever had with you, is that you would lure people into asking you where you had your portfolio invested and then would refuse to answer in straightforward manner. Lately it seems you have 'come clean' on this.

I never had a problem with your belief in SWR valuations and view it as a totally valid approach to ER as anyone else's.

That's most encouraging to hear, Cut-Throat. I expect at some point down the road to be posting some thread-starters that describe some of the most important findings that JWR1945 and I (mostly JWR1945) have come up with at the SWR Research Group board. I expect that our findings will be challenged, and I think that's a good thing. The challenges will help us sharpen our thinking. Down the road I believe that there will be a good number who will find value in the work we have been doing. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks, TH, for another inaccurate post that is irrelevant to the thread. All you seem to want to do is attack me and my character. I haven't started a post that addressed mortgage payoff analysis in several months. When I did start such posts, it was always in the context of pointing out ways to use FIRECALC to examine the historical probabilities of achieving financial advantage. A week or two ago I did respond to a thread someone else started and provided the same kind of information about my own handling of mortgage that others who responded provided. My post was simply a factual account of my own situation. You immediately launched into a very verbose tirade about me, called me names and offered sophomoric references to hand puppets that you apparently feel are very clever. Then you branched out onto two other threads that have nothing to do with mortgage and that I had not even posted on and continued the personal attacks. This is one of those threads. TH, that is not the reaction of a comfortable person. Something is wrong.

What is the response and result you are looking for in this behavior? Are you hoping that I will leave and stop posting on these boards? I suppose I might eventually decide it's not worth it for me or anyone else if you continue like this. Although you were successful at chasing Ted away, you haven't eliminated ***** yet. Do you need to chase people away from the boards to feel important or worthy? Are you hoping to keep me from discussing mortgage payoff analysis and techniques? Do the discussions of historical returns and mortgage rates make you feel threatened or uncomfortable? I honestly don't understand your single-minded focus on misstating my position on mortgage analysis and calling me names. It seems so petty and unimportant. Tell me what response you are ultimately hoping to achieve from this kind of post and maybe I can help. :)

My recollection says you started the name calling, and you've also had some delightful things to say about me on other sites as well.

Same memory also tells me I've stated, restated and agreed with your so-called "position". Again and again. You refuse to consider or acknowledge my differing perspective.

You did, in fact, quite recently start a thread on mortgage "myths", shall I go find that for you as well?

I respond and reply to your comments on these threads only after you make them. Just to fill out the gaps and missing piece parts that I think people should consider when making the decision. Since you persist in this, I presume you want the interaction. How can I resist giving you what you want, so you can then play the victim? If you were really so "tired" of it, why do you continue to say things you know I'll respond to?

I'm glad you reiterated the "TH made Ted leave" comment, because you denied making it after I saw it on another site. Does ANYONE else agree that I had anything at all to do with Ted leaving?

What do I want? Nothing at all. I thought we could find a way to get past this, but I got tired of asking you how we could do that and you being unresponsive. Then I figured out you must really enjoy this stuff...you know, baiting me out, then playing "poor me". Whatever.

*****, you may simply go @#$% yourself.

. . . The great home mortgage debate also falls into the we'll know for sure in 20 years realm.

. . .
A lot of posters on this board say that they "sleep better at night" knowing their mortgage is paid off. For them, waiting 20 years isn't necessary. They only need one restless evening to know what to do. :D

Could you please tell us who you support on this mortgage question, intercst? . . .

I think intercst rents so the mortgage payoff decision is a don't care for him.

*****, you may simply go @#$% yourself.

You had me going a little bit until I got to that line, TH. That one seemed to me to lack a little something in the reasoned argument department.

I think intercst rents so the mortgage payoff decision is a don't care for him.

Yes, intercst rents. I didn't mean for him to actually respond. My intercst line was intended solely as a tension breaker.

For the record, I paid off my mortgage early. I don't know what "side" that puts me on. But that's my story as to what I did, and I'm sticking to it no matter what names TH calls me as a result.

I revisit the "dead horse" of to mortgage or not to mortgage? from time to time, even though the carcass
has been beaten unrecognizable at this site. I always
end up by abandoning the number crunching as it
just feels good to have no mortgage. I'm a numbers
guy, but the psychological income (no mortgage) is enough for me.

JG

I revisit the "dead horse" of to mortgage or not to mortgage?   from time to time, even though the carcass
has been beaten unrecognizable at this site.  I always
end up by abandoning the number crunching as it
just feels good to have no mortgage.  I'm a numbers
guy, but the psychological income (no mortgage) is enough for me.

JG
I've always agreed with that reasoning, John. People have to decide how they wish to balance the financial risk/reward situation with the "feels good" feeling they might get from having no mortgage. People who don't feel comfortable with a mortgage in retirement should definately not have one. People who don't feel comfortable investing in stocks should not invest in them . . .

My posts on mortgage have focused on how to use FIRECALC to help evaluate the financial side of that decision for those who might be inclined to value that information. Alas, that appears to be the only part of my posts that gets heard before the noise of name calling begins. :-[

that appears to be the only part of my posts that gets heard before the noise of name calling begins.

Anyone who participates at the board, either by posting or lurking, has a legitimate interest in protecting the value of the learning resource. All have both a right and a responsibility to do something to keep the conversations civil. When the conversations go into the gutter, people leave, and we all lose. That's my take.

Back
Top Bottom