Pilot Shortage - Regional Airlines+ Essential Air Service (EAS)

I haven't looked into it in a few years, but my wife and I put together a comparison of costs to get him into the right seat (in 2011). As I remember it was around $85,000 for the "zero to hero" path at ATP flight school. We chose that school because they have a good record of moving them through, and immediately hiring them as instructors when they finish their CFI ratings. My son finished his CFI checkride and went directly to work (within days). They also have cheap dormitories for their students onsite. I can't remember the cost, but it was minimal.

If I were doing it now (without an instructor parent), I'd send him to ATP and get him finished with all the instructor ratings (CFI, CFII, MEI). Then apply at a college with an aviation program (ie. Embrey Riddle, UND, etc.). At one time, they offered free tuition for CFIs in their aviation programs. It seems likely they would still do this in the current environment. I did much the same thing back in the 80's, working as a CFI in my college's aviation department while getting an engineering degree.

Sorry I don't have more up to date info, but it's been a while.

Back
Top Bottom