Please critique my 10-day FL itinerary

Since you are visiting during a prime vacation time ,I would start checking out Hotwire & Priceline for hotel deals . Key West has tons of B&B's that are much more fun than a hotel and usually include breakfast & happy hour !
Priceline and Hotwire Forum

Seista Key area has some of the best beaches in the world. North end of Cresent Beach has great sand bars. Don't waste a day going to tampa. Phillippe Creek, 5353 S tamiami trail for great seafood at good price. Also one of last original Shells for cheap seafood south on tamiami the other way. Broken Egg in seista village for breakfast. Myakka state park, take the south causeway off of siesta key (no turns) and it is about 7 miles east of I-75 on left. Hiking, boat ride, gators. Mote Marine, Ringling Bros museum. Lido key (St Armands circle) for shopping. Enjoy.

Phillippe Creek, 5353 S tamiami trail for great seafood at good price..

I was just at Phillippe Creek last month and I have to disagree . It's an overpriced tourist trap . There are plenty of inexpensive great seafood restaurants but Phillippe creek is not one of them . Anna Marie Oyster Bar is and there are plenty of little seafood shops that also run restaurants usually located on the bay .

Reasonably priced motels in South beach?

I am also thinking about going to South beach in February. Does anyone know a reasonable motel to stay in South beach or close to it? I will prefer a motel that has cooking facility, since my wife is vegetarian.
Thanks.

I was just at Phillippe Creek last month and I have to disagree . It's an overpriced tourist trap . There are plenty of inexpensive great seafood restaurants but Phillippe creek is not one of them . Anna Marie Oyster Bar is and there are plenty of little seafood shops that also run restaurants usually located on the bay .

This Sarasota resident agrees with you on this one!

Bruce

I have a totally stupid, but related question, after visiting the Swamp Sanctuary's website. I have a very intense fear of snakes. Is it likely that I will see snakes in the wild in the Everglades or nearby areas? What do people do to protect themselves? Do they wear snake boots? I am not going to venture off-trail, but I know snakes don't really follow our directions!

If you click on the corkscrew swamp site and go to what you may see . It says snakes are rare in that area . We do have snakes in Florida but I have never been bothered by them . I usually just see one occasionally in my backyard.

I have a totally stupid, but related question, after visiting the Swamp Sanctuary's website. I have a very intense fear of snakes. Is it likely that I will see snakes in the wild in the Everglades or nearby areas? What do people do to protect themselves? Do they wear snake boots? I am not going to venture off-trail, but I know snakes don't really follow our directions!

I've never been lucky enough to see a snake at Corkscrew. It is 99% boardwalk and you can easily see your path. There may be some otter poop.

Unlikely to see snakes in the Everglades, either, unless you are looking to see them. Enjoy the visitor centers and the wading birds.

Back
Top Bottom