Please share your snowbird budget with me!

This doesn't count improvements I choose to make, or the gains my money could be making in the market not tied up in a vacation home. (I forgot the term for this, but I'm acknowledging it is part of my ownership costs.)

Thanks for your input.

I think "opportunity costs" was the term you were thinking of.

One thing that really affected our snowbird budget and plans was getting a dog before we retired.
We love bringing her with us but she reduces our options quite a bit. Basically before we would be ok with a small apartment. Now we need a small cottage. And 90% of landlords don’t take them.
Makes getting a place each year more difficult.
Luckily for 2021 we found a place for 4K for February just off the beach near Sarasota.

One thing that really affected our snowbird budget and plans was getting a dog before we retired.
We love bringing her with us but she reduces our options quite a bit. Basically before we would be ok with a small apartment. Now we need a small cottage. And 90% of landlords don’t take them.
Makes getting a place each year more difficult.
Luckily for 2021 we found a place for 4K for February just off the beach near Sarasota.

I guess that answers the implicit question in your user name, at least for Feb.! :D

Thanks for the thought, and nice going on the cottage. (No dogs here, woof!)

As someone who is not a snowbird, but just observing this thread: it was mentioned that there were some savings you could implement in your home during your snowbird time by discontinuing/reducing some services. I wonder if anyone has experienced additional expenses they incur on their home. For example, if you live in an area frequented by snow, does one just leave nature to take care of things, or do you hire someone to shovel out (of course if you can get someone to do that for free it would be great).

As someone who is not a snowbird, but just observing this thread: it was mentioned that there were some savings you could implement in your home during your snowbird time by discontinuing/reducing some services. I wonder if anyone has experienced additional expenses they incur on their home. For example, if you live in an area frequented by snow, does one just leave nature to take care of things, or do you hire someone to shovel out (of course if you can get someone to do that for free it would be great).

We don’t have any savings at our house when we snowbird. And we let the snow pile up. It melts by the time we come back home.

Yes. Before we downsized from a large home to an HOA which is essentially lock and go.

For us the cost was not high. We had the son of a neighbour clear the snow form our driveway and from the sidewalk in front of our home. Plus check inside to ensure that the heat was still on etc. The house had to be checked from time to time for home insurance purposes.

Now we have neighbours who switch about checking for each other. Snow removal and gardening is done by the HOA.

We purposely have no pets, no plants. The saving from us is extremely minor. Our heating bill is slightly lower. We switch our auto insurance to stationary fire and theft. They do not add up to that much.

We did however realize a significant saving when sold and traveled for seven months then came back and rented a furnished apt. for three months. No utility or tax payments, no mtce costs, no insurance, cable, internet, etc. We did not really comprehend how much it cost to put the key in the door even though we had no mortgage payments.

Last edited:
We save on natural gas (heat) and electricity. We have our son in law clear the driveway of snow and do an occasional walk through the house. On the flip side we eat out more in Florida and spend more on day trip travel etc.

We use Costco travel for Mexico as they take care of all the transfers and have selected places they recommend.

We are costco member, besides shopping at the store we never thought of use their other services. Great idea, we will give it a look.
Thanks!!!

Very good point.

We live in a lovely SFH in a great, walkable neighborhood. Unfortunately, I think that leaving this 1929 house unoccupied for the winter would be a non-starter. Snow (which is a frequent occurrence) must be shoveled promptly in my neighborhood; obviously, I could use a service, but I would still worry.

I have steam heat. It loses enough water (even after replacing the valves) that the water needs monitoring. The previous owners learned the hard way that water-level switches and automatic refill valves do not always work. Visions of burst pipes and/or cracked boilers dance through my head.

So, our plan is to downsize to a condo or apartment shortly after retiring, allowing lock-and-go traveling. Like brett, we may try to save some money by having NO home-base abode to maintain during that first honeymoon travel period, but time will tell.

What we have been doing is combining our so called snowbird travel with some our respective bucket lists. Adjusted for late booking deals, currency , and meeting up with past travel friends along the way. If we are going to travel we may as well hit the warm spots in the our winter time.

Often we know where we are going for the first few days, week or so. Then we book as we go. We usually know where we will be be for our flight home. Everything in between is always subject to change. So far we have spent our winters in SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam), Australia, South America, Central America, and Mexico. We have had past trips to Florida, Hawaii, Arizona.

Still on our list is to do another African safari but this time in our winter time and combine it with a great deal of beach time Africa. Plus go back for more Thailand (via India solo for me) and more Australia.

All subject to post covid of course. We are grounded at the moment like everyone else.

Last edited:
So we own a 3/2 condo on the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama.

We've had the same snowbirds for the past 5 years. It's $1,600 a month.

They told me just not having a heating bill during the winter almost paid the rent. Along with expenses, don't forget savings (heating, vacation hold on cable/internet, less expensive dining out options).

What we have been doing is combining our so called snowbird travel with some our respective bucket lists. Adjusted for late booking deals, currency , and meeting up with past travel friends along the way. If we are going to travel we may as well hit the warm spots in the our winter time.

Often we know where we are going for the first few days, week or so. Then we book as we go. We usually know where we will be be for our flight home. Everything in between is always subject to change. So far we have spent our winters in SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam), Australia, South America, Central America, and Mexico. We have had past trips to Florida, Hawaii, Arizona.

Still on our list is to do another African safari but this time in our winter time and combine it with a great deal of beach time Africa. Plus go back for more Thailand (via India solo for me) and more Australia.

All subject to post covid of course. We are grounded at the moment like everyone else.

That is a really inspiring post. Thanks for sharing! This is going into my "file." :)

Edit: HAH! I just put it in my "file," and I see that I previously put your similar post from the Gypsynesters thread there!

Last edited:
The only place that we did not care for was the Philippines. We flew in from Thailand and were planning to spend several weeks there.

We did not like it for several reasons. Fortunately we had no firm hotel or other prepaid travel arrangements. We were able to book air back to Thailand and spend our time there. Paid the $200. air change fee...no problem for the flight home from Bangkok instead of Manila. This is one reason why we like to remain flexible. The only exception to the flexible approach is for countries like Vietnam and Cambodia where you have to obtain date specific visa (at least we do) and Thailand where we need a visa for stays in excess of 30 days. Even then you can often arrange this a few days in advance as we did for Cambodia.

Last edited:
So we own a 3/2 condo on the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama.

We've had the same snowbirds for the past 5 years. It's $1,600 a month.

They told me just not having a heating bill during the winter almost paid the rent. Along with expenses, don't forget savings (heating, vacation hold on cable/internet, less expensive dining out options).

They must have been exaggerating as most folks places from up North would freeze the water pipes, and possibly heave the foundation footings.

When we snowbird, I shut off the water, turn the water heater to vacation (used to be off for the old one), and turn the heat down to about 60 F.

So a tiny savings on our heating bill that can hit as high as $100/mo in the Winter, might save $30 as the first $30 of the bill is admin fees.

We have rented 2 BR (pet friendly) ocean front condos at MB for ~$1200/month. Weather is as PB described, mostly pleasant with a few cold snaps.

Numerous flags from Canada and many northern states hang from the balconies. We vacay there not for the weather, but to stay at a huge, uncrowded beach that is very sparsely populated. And yeah, all costs are very reasonable.

I have 2 Labrador retrievers, do the pet friendly condos have a weight limit for dogs?

Sunset,
I agree. Not much savings. Probably trying to feel better about paying for rent.

The cost to rent in the panhandle, and in golf shores is significant cheaper, but it is also much colder in December through February.

I knew someone with a place in Destine Florida. They said, the summer months are the in demand rental months. People living in the southeastern states want to be near the ocean in the hot summer months.
They let their parents use the place in the winter.

JP
They must have been exaggerating as most folks places from up North would freeze the water pipes, and possibly heave the foundation footings.

When we snowbird, I shut off the water, turn the water heater to vacation (used to be off for the old one), and turn the heat down to about 60 F.

So a tiny savings on our heating bill that can hit as high as $100/mo in the Winter, might save $30 as the first $30 of the bill is admin fees.

Sunset....first of all we made a mistake and landed flew into Cebu on Valentines day. Very, very crowded.

We found the basic tourist services that we tend to depend on lacking. Internet access was abysmal. Communication with several island accommodation providers was very poor.

Internet was abysmal. Transport the same. Booking air at a local agency was a zoo. Once they reached some dollar limit for the day they ceased taking air reservations! The biggest difference was the people. Compared to Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia where everyone seems extremely friendly, helpful, and industrious our impression of many Philippines that we came in contact with was that they had 'given up'. To us it seemed like they did not see any better future for themselves. The odd thing is we have many Philippines immigrants in our country. They are very different from their former countrymen in the Philippines in terms of outlook, etc.

We had enough on our short visit. It really brought home to us the benefit of not having a firm itinerary or at least having one that we can change as required. This past winter were started up the Mexican coast in Huatulco. Everything we read, and those we spoke to suggested to us that we may want to stay for a few weeks. We left after four days. But a few other places where we thought we would be for three days ended up being a week or longer.

Last edited:
Sunset....first of all we made a mistake and landed flew into Cebu on Valentines day. Very, very crowded. Spent a day, then went Panglao,then Palawan for several days. Then decided to return to Thailand poste haste.

We found the basic tourist services that we tend to depend on lacking. Internet access was abysmal. Communication with several island accommodation providers was very poor.

Internet was abysmal. Transport the same. Booking air at a local agency was a zoo. Once they reached some dollar limit for the day they ceased taking air reservations! The biggest difference was the people. Compared to Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia where everyone seems extremely friendly, helpful, and industrious our impression of many Philippines that we came in contact with was that they had 'given up'. To us it seemed like they did not see any better future for themselves. The odd thing is we have many Philippines immigrants in our country. They are very different from their former countrymen in the Philippines in terms of outlook, etc.

Last edited:
We spend a month near Cancun at an all inclusive resort. Total cost is about $5,500. This includes unlimited food and drinks and round trip airfare from Seattle.

I wish people would post the Hotel name so others can check things out. We also would like to know more about this in Mexico (Anywhere). We have only found All Inclusive for $2,400 a week for 2 people. This is the same price for East or West coast Mexico as we like both.

Last edited:
We were seven weeks in Mexico this past winter. We stayed in all kinds of places. We picked up two last minute stay at AI's during our travels. Five days each. One in Playa, the other in Nuevo Vallarta. We enjoyed both but we also enjoyed our stays in other places. The hotel we stayed at in Acapulco for seven nights had an optional AI package but we did not take it. We did about two weeks around Cancun area, a week or more in each of Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Zihuantenejo, and ten days in P. Vallarta area. We were planning to go to Mazatlan but covid issues convinced us to end our trip in P.V.

Last edited:
I wish people would post the Hotel name so others can check things out. We also would like to know more about this in Mexico (Anywhere). We have only found All Inclusive for $2,400 a week for 2 people. This is the same price for East or West coast Mexico as we like both.

We usually go during off-peak times Oct/Nov. We have stayed at Marina El CID and Ventus in Puerto Morelos. Water is not good there but everything else excellent. Cancún we stayed at Omni. We just booked Hard Rock Hotel in Cancún for 2 weeks for 2 people for $1,750. This was a limited time special (Costco) which by the next day was over $4k.

Last edited:
We usually go during off-peak times Oct/Nov. We have stayed at Marina El CID and Ventus in Puerto Morelos. Water is not good there but everything else excellent. Cancún we stayed at Omni. We just booked Hard Rock Hotel in Cancún for 2 weeks for 2 people for $1,750. This was a limited time special (Costco) which by the next day was over $4k.

All properties are not the same..I think it's more then lucky if I see an AI I enjoy at less then 250 a day total for two.

This past March we paid $950.USD for five AI nights at Riu Vallarta in Neuvo Vallarta. This was for an upgraded room...suite w/ ocean view. .

We paid $925 USD for five nights AI at the Riu Tequila in Playa del Carmen. Standard room. Early Feb this year.

Both were late booking offers while we were traveling in Mexico. Both booked through a third party booking site. No preference for Riu, just what came up for the right price/reasonable hotel, right location.

Both no airfare...we were traveling in Mexico. The AI's are fine but we are ready to go after 5-7 days. All the food starts to taste the same.

We have also stayed at Moon Palace and The Fives in Cancun on a full air/hotel/AI basis. Forget what we paid. Had our daughter's wedding at Moon Palace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom