Votes: 30 19.1%
  • Northeast -No

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Southeast -Yes

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Southeast -No

Votes: 10 6.4%

• Total voters
For those that never heard of this l, you held a butter cup under someone’s chin and it their chin looked yellow they liked butter. It depended on your skin tone and the sun since it was just the light reflected off the flower.

But I love butter! Good butter from fresh cream and not some commercial brands that are tasteless. I often make my own or an English version thereof called clotted cream. So Good!

Ahh yes I remember this well, as a kid of between 6 and around 10, I have a cousin that had a childhood nickname of Buttercup speedster. As we played on the playground at school once a group of us had an impromptu foot race. She won it and several times after some boy who wasn't there at that time would hear about it and challenge her to a race. She always won and somewhere along the way she got that name. Simpler times and great memories, thank you Sengsational for the memories.

Oh yes. I was in the Midwest. I was possibly 8 years old and the prettiest girl in our class administered the test. She could have used poison ivy and I would have let her do it. Now, had one of the guys suggested the test, I'd have blown them off.

So, indeed, I do recall the test and I recall the little girl. Wonder what ever happened to her. I'm guessing there are similar stories like this out there but YMMV.

Grew up in Ireland and yes, we used buttercups.

Loved Irish butter, but it was for special occasions. Had margarine otherwise. Now I buy Kerrygold salted at Costco.

I was raised in the Midwest and remember the "buttercup test". Mom bought margarine but called it "butter". I can take it or leave it- when I'm served good bread I see no need to butter it ...

That may be because you've been living with fake butter. Real, sweet creamery butter can turn a baguette into ambrosia.

The Illinois-Wisconsin state line used to have a battery of shops on the Illinois side that sold "colored oleo." That's because Wisconsin banned oleomargarine with coloring in it, so it basically looked like lard. Some Wisconsin retailers offered a little cachet of yellow dye so you could squish the dye in with the margarine to make it look palatable. That dumb rule produced the "colored oleo" belt at the state line.

An old-time Wisconsin politician once bragged that he could taste the difference between butter and margarine. Famously, someone called his bluff and he couldn't do it. He mustn't have had much of a palate.

Chicago. We held dandelions under chins to see if they reflected yellow, but honestly I never heard the "butter test" angle to it.

My Ohio aunts used to say something like, "she looks like butter would melt in her mouth" but I don't know what the look was that prompted it.

My mom got on the oleo and then margarine kick when butter was considered bad. I was so grateful to return to using butter! The only way I use it regularly, though, is two teaspoons in my daily cup of bulletproof coffee.

The Illinois-Wisconsin state line used to have a battery of shops on the Illinois side that sold "colored oleo." That's because Wisconsin banned oleomargarine with coloring in it, so it basically looked like lard. Some Wisconsin retailers offered a little cachet of yellow dye so you could squish the dye in with the margarine to make it look palatable. That dumb rule produced the "colored oleo" belt at the state line.

We also had to use the white margarine, with the color packet. Now I have to wonder if we ever managed to mix it evenly.
It never bothered me to use the white margarine. But I did think my friends parents were beyond wealthy as during corn season, they would roll cobs of corn in a 1lb block of butter, carelessly dripping it all over :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom