Poll:How Do You Get Your Insurance (Home, Auto, Umbrella)?

How Do You Get Your Insurance (Home, Auto, Umbrella)?

• Traditional via Captive Agents (State Farm, Allstate...)

Votes: 57 37.7%
  • Direct (Geico, Progressive ...)

Votes: 48 31.8%
  • Independent Agent/Agency

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters
I was with Allstate forever, but when we moved to FL I ended up having to go with an independent agency for homeowners. Since we have 2 homes and have the screwy FL homeowners situation, the independents seem to work best. I've got Federated National and Lexington for the houses, and I've still got Allstate for cars and landlord (1 house). State Farm for landlord (2 houses). USLI for umbrella. It's all a PITA, and I'd love to get under a single insurer again, but that won't be happening while we have our primary residence in FL.

Edit: I wanted to get Farmers because they have that great dum de dum dum dum dum dum jingle and good commercials, but they were too expensive. Too bad.

Last edited:
Erie for the past 15 years. Way cheaper than independent agent we had 20 years prior, saved $4000 first year alone for home, autos, umbrellas and rentals.

We used GEICO exclusively early on, during the 80s and 90s. Then I started shopping around every couple years. We went through several companies, mostly swapping between Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Travelers, and GEICO... whoever quoted the lowest number that year. It wasn't unusual to have auto at one and homeowners at another if that was the lowest combo. Everything was handled by phone or online, no agents.

Then about 5 years ago, we purchased umbrella for the first time and also acquired two rental properties. So things began to get more complicated. I hooked up with a local Farmer's agent. He was very knowledgeable and for the first time ever, I felt like I truly understood what I was buying, how much I needed, and why. Much different experience than calling a 1-800 number. The rates are about the same but I like having access to an agent who obviously knows the business and knows me personally. But now he's been transitioning the business over to his son who is not as knowledgeable and does not return calls or emails in a timely manner.

So I think it's time to start shopping again. I just recently contacted a local independent agent, as I've never gone that route before. So far the experience is quite good, similar to the Farmer's agent. But they work with carriers I've never heard of, which makes me a little nervous, and I haven't seen any quotes yet, so we'll see.

Just went with independent agency this past year in anticipation of not always being around to do it myself once we retired and started hitting the road.

I've been with the same State Farm agency for 39 years. It's changed hands one time. I never met the first agent and have only met the 2nd agent once. My experience is the agent does next to nothing. The office staff does all the work. My one encounter with the agent didn't go very well. I was there talking to one of the office staff about a wreck my daughter had. He came strolling by, introduced himself, and proceeded to try to sell me an IRA. I basically told him to get lost.

The few times I've tried to get quotes from others, it turned out that what I had was cheaper with all the discounts. But, once my DS is finally off the family payroll, I'm going to re-shop my insurance. All of it.

I do not use tied agents. I use an independent agent and every couple of years I direct her to shop the coverage.

Prior to this agent, I used a tied agent/State Farm because the guy was in my flying club and I llked him. After SF jacked my rates a couple of times, I shopped on my own. My cost to buy from my friend turned out to be over $1000 per year. That's the first time and the last time I used a tied agent. Some friend!

Online is difficult because we have three cars, two houses, a boat, some scheduled jewelry, and an umbrella. When that's all bundled we get offered substantial discounts; trying to piece it together on the internet is something I don't have the patience to do and which would eliminate the potential to bundle. Maybe there would be a savings? I will never know.

I was with Amica for years. Loved them. But they refused to insure our house.. . So I switched to AAA... But they refused to insure our granny flat when we converted it to a rental unit (but covered it for years when my in laws were living there) and refused to do an umbrella for us because of the granny flat. The issue is that we live across the street from a deep canyon that is considered to be at risk for wildfires. So most of the traditional home insurers had various excuses to deny us. Farmers came through and they've been great. I'm especially annoyed with AAA since they seemed to evolve and adapt their reasons to dump us after years of coverage and no claims....

I get my auto insurance, and as of this year, home insurance, through BCAA. I have critical illness and LTC insurance through my professional association. Health insurance through provincial government.

I was with Amica for years. Loved them. But they refused to insure our house.

So much depends on who you are, where you live, your history, etc.

Someone here was raving about Amica recently and how much they saved when switching from USAA. I said what the heck, and got a quote from Amica. It was almost exactly double what I pay USAA for precisely the same coverage. You just never know.

The only insurance I pay for is HI for the two kids $1200/yr and worth every penny! Had a car for 5 years without insurance, Had the radiator stolen twice so maybe it cost me $500 out of pocket. No homeowners on my Penthouse as the only thing that can happen is a major earthquake. No umbrella as if you tried sue anyone, everybody would just laugh!

Exact same situation with my Allstate agent. Plus, he spent the first 10 years of his career as a claims adjuster-that really helps! 25 years plus.

I am like everyone here as far as spending years paying 2 Insurance companies and never checking rates. I now look at rates every year and have saved 40% on my premium by shopping around. I don't mind paying extra for good service, but not 40% more.

Even if you stay with your existing company, you can use the competition to try to improve your rates.

VW

I use an independent agent who also happens to be a very good friend. Never had a claim until this past May. I was at a dead stop for a construction zone when I was rear-ended by a drunk driver traveling ~55 mph. Saw her coming and tried to get out of her way so suffered only a glancing blow that still totaled my vehicle. I called my agent from the accident scene and he had an equivalent rental car ready for me within an hour of the accident. He also called the insurance company and had the assigned claim manager call me first thing the next morning. I had a great experience considering the circumstance.

My point is, while I believe my agent has secured me the best tailor-made coverages at the best possible price (and he shops it regularly), more important is the individualized service I receive when it's most needed.

I have always used an independent agent. I do feel that people often make insurance decisions based upon the wrong criteria. That is, I have seen people make insurance decisions based solely upon price without understanding that there are coverage differences between the two policies.

It is important to look at what is covered and what is excluded. Not every homeowners policy is like every other homeowners policy. Lots of people will notice if the amount of coverage is different between the two. But, not everyone will notice if one policy excludes claims that would be covered by the other policy or if one policy covers something that is not covered by the other policy.

With a captive agent or buying direct you can ask about the options that company has but you can't go to a Farmer's agent and get a quote for State Farm. Of course, you can go to State Farm and get a quote from them. But, then you have to able to compare the two quotes and really understand what is or is not covered by each policy. Many people are not well equipped to do that.

The reason why I like independent agents is that if they get a quote from multiple carriers, they can compare them and they can tell you what is different between them. For lots of people, that is worth way more than a small difference in premium. It doesn't do much good to buy for the cheapest premium and then find out your loss isn't covered when it would have been covered by a more expensive policy.

Another reason to prefer the independent agent is that they are more likely to be able to find someone to cover things that are outside the norm. They may be able to find a carrier who will cover something that State Farm or Geico might not cover.

Having said all that - not all independent agents have access to a lot of markets. Some of that have very limited markets they place with so you may not have a lot of variety offered.

I have been with GEICO for close to 40 years starting with renters insurance, adding auto, then adding home (now through Travelers) and liability. No problems, but then with only 5 claims (auto) in this time we have not had to use them much. 4 were not our fault, and they were quick both in settling the claim and in going after the at-fault party's insurance to cover our deductible.Every time we added a child to our policy they always notified us of the available discounts for them.

Last edited:
I've had Nationwide insurance for 20+ years. Never shopped around after. The agent was recommended by a friend, but I never even spoke to the agent directly - always worked with someone in the office. That is, until about six weeks ago, when I was rear-ended at a stoplight (by an Allstate insured). The Nationwide service has been horrendous. The agent hasn't returned emails or phone calls, seems to have forgotten me completely when I call back to follow up ("well, you know I deal with hundreds of claims every day"), and gave me advice that everyone else (at Nationwide, Allstate and the auto body shop) said was the wrong advice - to file the claim through Nationwide and have them work to recover damages from Allstate instead of dealing with Allstate directly. And the Nationwide claims agent sounded like I was wasting her time when she called to get the facts of the case.

Well, needless to say, as soon as this claim is finally settled, I'll be shopping for a new insurance agent and a new insurance company!

I'm with Liberty Mutual right now. After shopping around, I asked about a lot of caveats and there are some clauses I didn't like with several I had inquired about, especially when it came to storm damage. I got an auto accident 35 days after I started the policy, they paid out nearly $9k in repairs and rental car, no rate increase like promised and it was handled really well.

With the rules in this state, there is a limited # of carriers so I believe I got the best option available.

Always use an independent agent and shop every 3 - 4 years. Currently with Farmers Mutual. And, always high deductibles ... I hate paying premiums

That's me ... except I shop every year. The local independent agency we use always seems to beat the big guys out (including USAA.) And I kinda like being able to stop by their office and look 'em in the eye while discussing various insurance options.

(Except our new 2nd home we bought out in Texas this year. Went to Amica for the best rates on that one. Had Amica when we previously had our primary residence in Texas before and they were great.)

I insure my home for purposes of major fire, tornado, etc. Otherwise, I don't file claims. So I keep a very high deductible and I won't cry about paying it should one of those unlikely events come to pass. I carry liability only on my 17 year old pickup truck and $1000 deductibles on our other two newer vehicles that have comprehensive.

Last edited:
When I was with Allstate for 30 years the agent/owner was a friend. We went to Dead shows together and stuff like that. His sister worked there with him, and was my personal contact whenever I'd call. But he finally retired and his agency was bought by a group from another country. I found them short and unhelpful whenever I called. Then Kathy and everyone else I used to work were fired and replaced with, I assume, family members of the new owners.

I didn't dump them for that particularly, although it was tempting. But when I changed residence to FL and Allstate wouldn't do my homeowners anymore, I had no problem leaving them behind. Even though I ended up with Allstate for some of my coverages, it's a different office.

I think having an agent you can trust is worth a little overpayment. But not having one and shopping for the best price is probably smarter. It sort of depends. The amount of actual dollars (not percentage) I can save is in the chickenfeed range. Sort of like shopping to save a few pennies/gal on gas.

I have always used an independent agent. I do feel that people often make insurance decisions based upon the wrong criteria. That is, I have seen people make insurance decisions based solely upon price without understanding that there are coverage differences between the two policies.

It is important to look at what is covered and what is excluded. Not every homeowners policy is like every other homeowners policy. Lots of people will notice if the amount of coverage is different between the two. But, not everyone will notice if one policy excludes claims that would be covered by the other policy or if one policy covers something that is not covered by the other policy.

With a captive agent or buying direct you can ask about the options that company has but you can't go to a Farmer's agent and get a quote for State Farm. Of course, you can go to State Farm and get a quote from them. But, then you have to able to compare the two quotes and really understand what is or is not covered by each policy. Many people are not well equipped to do that.

The reason why I like independent agents is that if they get a quote from multiple carriers, they can compare them and they can tell you what is different between them. For lots of people, that is worth way more than a small difference in premium. It doesn't do much good to buy for the cheapest premium and then find out your loss isn't covered when it would have been covered by a more expensive policy.

Another reason to prefer the independent agent is that they are more likely to be able to find someone to cover things that are outside the norm. They may be able to find a carrier who will cover something that State Farm or Geico might not cover.

Having said all that - not all independent agents have access to a lot of markets. Some of that have very limited markets they place with so you may not have a lot of variety offered.
The way I look at it, I'm my own independent agent. I shop around easily via online quotes. I have simple needs, basic auto, homeowners and umbrella. I've had "independent agents" who said they could get me a better rate, they haven't. And none have even commented on having differences which were better than the coverage I have. Sounds like you've been drinking the kool-aid for a while.

USAA for 38 years.

The way I look at it, I'm my own independent agent. I shop around easily via online quotes. I have simple needs, basic auto, homeowners and umbrella. I've had "independent agents" who said they could get me a better rate, they haven't. And none have even commented on having differences which were better than the coverage I have. Sounds like you've been drinking the kool-aid for a while.

Wow! That last line is a bit over the top don't you think?

Let me put it this way. I spent a good part of my career working with insurance related matters (I am a lawyer). I've worked on coverage disputes. I think it is fair to say that I know more about insurance coverage than the average person. I've read many, many insurance policies. Even so, I don't feel that I have the expertise of someone who is actually an experienced insurance agent who handles coverage on a daily basis. Even knowing what I know (which is more than most people), I think I find it valuable to having an independent agents comparing coverage options and/or telling an independent agent what I need and having that agent tell me what is available.

I do not at all have any opinion as to your level of expertise. For all I know you have a level of insurance knowledge that far outstrips what I have learned over the years. It may well be that you are well qualified to assess differences between policies and that you understand thoroughly all of the different policy provisions including all exclusions and limitations on coverage, etc. It may be that you thoroughly understand all endorsements to the policies offered to you and you know what endorsements and changes might be available that weren't offered to you that would be helpful to you.

For me, though, I find that I get value from getting feedback from an independent agent. If that is drinking kool-aid, then OK.

Back
Top Bottom