POLL: How do you rank yourself as an investor?

Rank yourself as an investor

• Above average investor

Votes: 89 37.6%
  • Average but will be improving in the future, I hope

Votes: 24 10.1%
  • Average and not likely to change

Votes: 89 37.6%
  • Below average

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Terrible and recognize I need help

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Just terrible and have no clue going forward

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters
Does investing in CD's count? Over the years I've been pretty good at finding decent rates and locking them in when I could. Would I have done better in the market? Most likely. But I like not having the extra stress of investing in stocks. For many people that's not an issue, but for me it is. But I've done ok and can live off of my savings with no problem at all....and my net worth continues to go up each year. What more does a person need?

Perhaps you are above average when compared with the overall US population and also with some subset of FI investors. So the ranking would depend on what set of investors we are measuring ourselves against.

So all we have to do is find the right subset of investors to rank ourselves against and we can all feel great. ;) :)

This puts you at the top of the heap. You're being too modest.

You've done very well for yourself, no validation or verification required. The description of your approach speaks for that.

I've mostly done the same and I consider myself a disciple of Bob Brinker. Others call this Boglehead or something like that. It all comes down to diversification and low expense ratios.

Pretty much a lifelong S&P/Total Market indexer, so average in that respect. Having the discipline to stay the course and not go bananas when the market goes nuts, I think maybe just a little above average in that regard.

Above average compared with most, below average compared with many here for whom investing seems like a full-time occupation. Improving because because of all I'm learning here.

I agree that there is much to learn and I appreciate the many helpful members here.

Perhaps you are above average when compared with the overall US population and also with some subset of FI investors. So the ranking would depend on what set of investors we are measuring ourselves against.

So all we have to do is find the right subset of investors to rank ourselves against and we can all feel great. ;) :)

I don't care where I rank. I just care if I have enough now and can expect to have enough money in the future for the young wife and me to live out our lives. So far, that's looking good. As I have noted before, if you have overwhelmingly superior firepower, you don't need to be a good shot.

I don't care where I rank. I just care if I have enough now and can expect to have enough money in the future for the young wife and me to live out our lives. So far, that's looking good. As I have noted before, if you have overwhelmingly superior firepower, you don't need to be a good shot.

I agree.

I tend to be hard on myself. There is no real way to rank oneself without being biased. So this poll is just a bit of fun though I am surprised at how many responses and votes this poll got. I don't see any ranking in the grave yards although come to think of it there are some fantastic tributes ... Napoleon's tomb comes to mind.

When I play online chess I can get a rank that gives me some idea of how I compare and it is fairly objective. But interestingly for me, I hate to be ranked. Ranking can be a judgemental thing. There is actually a switch on the Lichess site to turn off ranking which I just found. Also often I play "anonymous" chess which doesn't show ranks or even the other player's online record or login. Just a fun way to get a quick game.

I like the analogy to firepower. One more reason to be a good saver. Investing prowess is less important if you have saved "enough."

I don't calculate my annual investment returns because I don't want to know and even if I did it's a difficult calculation taking into account dividends and interest. I do however calculate my total net worth. That's the important number which also covers income and spending. It's a good sign to see your net worth grow while you're retired.

I don't calculate my annual investment returns because I don't want to know and even if I did it's a difficult calculation taking into account dividends and interest. I do however calculate my total net worth. That's the important number which also covers income and spending. It's a good sign to see your net worth grow while you're retired.

Yes, NW is all I calculate once each year. It's sort of like taking a pulse or blood pressure at the doctor each year. Not too specific and not too precise, but tells a lot about the overall health of your financial plan. My NW has been growing virtually every year since I retired and that includes my withdrawals. With that in mind, even my mediocre investing skills are what I would call "adequate."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom