Poll: How much do you give?

What percentage of your TAKE HOME pay do you give as charity and gifts?

• Less than 2%

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • 2% to 4%

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • 4% to 6%

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • 6% to 8%

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • 8% to 10%

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Greater than 10%

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters
mclesters said:
I would like to work in disaster relief logistics when I retire, and in the same areas as STW mentioned. I've done a lot of research in this area, and there aren't any good answers. Oxfam and the Red Cross do most of this stuff in Latin America.

If you are interested in disaster relief, take a look at AmeriCares. They seem to be very well run and also have the resources ($$$) to mobilize large amounts of relief to affected areas. give.org and charitynavigator.org give them high marks.

Re: Volunteer experiences abroad (was Re: Poll: How much do you give?)

stw said:
Along the lines of giving time (and not to hijack this thread - moderator please feel free to move if appropriate) I have been looking for ways to combine foreign travel with a
meaningful volunteer contribution of effort in another country. I'm thinking along the lines of working together with locals on something that can add long term value/capacity to their community - perhaps habitat for humanity, public works
projects like water systems, reforestation, rural preventative medical clinics, etc. Has anyone here done something similar that they felt was
truly worthwhile and of genuine benefit to recipients?
Everything I've heard about Habitat for Humanity has been positive. I think I'd enjoy working on one of their overseas projects.

Re: Volunteer experiences abroad (was Re: Poll: How much do you give?)

Nords said:
Everything I've heard about Habitat for Humanity has been positive. I think I'd enjoy working on one of their overseas projects.

I haven't worked with Habitat for Humanity but my wife and I did volunteer a week of our time to go to New Orleans two months ago with my church. We spent the week hanging dry wall in one of the areas that was flooded. It was very hard work but quite rewarding!! It was almost like having a vacation. I expect to go again some time in the future.

i give to my sons private school , church and the elks

i like to think my TAXES are the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

wstu,
I agree that, especially during the salary-earning years, taxes are a huge bite and a you are making a major contribution to society to help pay for older people, poorer people and sick people along with the nation's defense etc. I think the giving question, financial and non-financial, takes on more poignancy once we ER and our taxes go way down or even to zero.

wstu32 said:
i like to think my TAXES are the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad:

depends on whether you think bombs are charitable or not....

Back
Top Bottom