Poll:In the last few months how have you changed your stock allocation?

How have you changed your stock allocation with the current crisis?

• Increased more then 46%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Increased by +31% to +45%

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Increased by +16% to +30%

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Increased by +1% to +15%

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Zero

Votes: 80 69.0%
  • Reduced by -1% to -15%

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Reduced by -16% to -30%

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Reduced by -31% to -45%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reduced by more the -46%

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The pandemic has been on everyone's mind.

This refers to the change in your stock allocation due to your selling or buying stocks. It does not refer to changes in your allocation because of stocks going up or bonds going down.

Here are some examples of responses:

You were at 60% stocks, the market decline reduced this to 53% stocks. But you did not sell or buy. So you answer: Zero

You were at 80% stocks but sold down to 40%. Your current portfolio is currently 35% stocks. You answer: Reduced by -31 to -45%.

You were at 60% stocks but rebalanced up to 60% just recently by buying another 7%. You answer: Increased by +1% to +15%.

You sold stocks short by a lot or bought/sold options a lot. You might answer: Other.

Last edited:
I follow my investment policy so no change to AA. The only change I made is to diversify my fixed income from total bond fund to 50/50 total bond fund / money market to reduce the duration.

Just riding it out for now. No changes, it is for most part all longer term money.

I did do a little tax loss harvesting, but put back into equities so the net AA effect was zero.

I am sticking to my planned AA, so I voted "zero".

But that was probably the wrong answer, because I did rebalance on 3/23 when the market was pretty low, buying just enough equity mutual funds to get my AA back where it is supposed to be. So, I probably should have voted "+1% to +15%"? Oops. :banghead:

No change in stock allocation. Considering replacing some bonds with CD's.

Zero for me. I’m putting a moratorium on changes to holdings in my retirement portfolio while the market is so unsettled (so it could take a while!).

I did some mild rebalancing to get back to my pre-drop AA. So, I answered 1%-15%.

No shift in allocation yet, but plan to increase cash position in the face of an impending recession that will negatively impact both corporate profits and earnings. To the extent that the extended time of the shutdown due to COVID-19 pandemic, the increase of unemployment and reduction in personal consumption will likely be worsen.

The current rally could be short-lived until pessimism returns. The negative financial impacts of this pandemic could be felt for many years to come.

Stay the course is a nice mantra. This time may be different.

Nothing. My portfolio is set up to auto-rebalance, so the allocation remains static, regardless, and I don’t have to fret.

Didn’t buy or sell anything in 1987, 2000 or 2008-2009 - and I don’t think that’ll change this time, or next. I may do some buying, but not in any hurry at all, not even looking/considering anything yet...

Hopefully not too soon but I’m looking forward to the next big downturn when I’ll reply to posts like this with “I didn’t buy or sell anything in 1987, 2000, 2008-2009 or 2020.” :D

Last edited:
I had gradually lowered my asset allocation target to 60/40 over the last couple years. It had drifted up to 65/35 before the market correction so I planned to rebalance at end of year if market continued up. I think when the market drop occurred, it may have gotten down to 55/45. Not sure. I looked at it briefly but didn't keep a record. Just remember it was less than my target 60/40. I chose to buy into index funds in the range of 20-35% off their peak highs and am now at 82/18 allocation. Now I go back to sleep and live off cash / bonds / dividends until the market turns around and settles out somewhere. Then I expect I'll drop back to 60/40 someday.

Have done nothing except for typical monthly withdrawal of $4K. From cash.
We run out of cash in October, so I will have to decide then what stock/bond fund to sell.

I went from 60/40 to 96/4(CD) recently..... I did it in 2008 and after Sep 11 terrorist attacks and did it again when the DOW was down between 23,000-18,000.

I based my new equity purchases looking at 10+ years out and no way I am going to miss this opportunity and still up 350+% since 1995.

Last edited:
Vote other since I was 100% cash when this started and I've been swing trading since. Bought and sold well over 1m in the past 4 or 5 weeks. Shortest buy/sell trade was less than 15 mins. Longest about 3 days.

Last edited:
I have had held my holdings AA at 60/40.
New 401k contributions I have changed tp 100%
equities.

Moved from 93/7 to 95/5 between 2/26 and 3/13.

Re-balanced 2 times to get back to my 50/50 allocation at 5% bands. In 2-3 days I got down to 41% stocks and bought back up to 50%. I tax loss harvested about 30,000 in losses and reinvested from Foreign to US equities.
I'm not sure if it will matter, but I feel better having done it. If you want to change US/Foreign, a down market is as good as any time to do it. I have been invested in Foreign funds for over 25 years. They obviously diversify, but I'm
not sure they will continue to do so in a positive way in the future. With my time horizon being shorter, I feel the added risk premium is not advantageous to my portfolio. I do take some extra risk with the Extended Market fund 100% in my Roth IRA. I don't think it will make a big difference either way. I am currently only 1% from a 3rd re-balance.

Voted +1 to +15 . However purchases were barely +1% on the way down.

Back
Top Bottom