Poll: Internet access

When do you start feeling uncomfortable with no internet access?

• Need to check at least once a day

Votes: 57 51.4%
  • 1 or 2 days

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • 3 to 5 days

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • About a week

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Over a week is fine

Votes: 18 16.2%

• Total voters
I can go without general internet for many days when out of town. But the family is plugged in too many activities such that going without at least checking email is difficult. Smart phones solves that issue.

I think people are not being entirely honest if they're not choosing the first choice. ;)

I have gone paperless whenever possible. Extended outage would be inconvenient.

I think people are not being entirely honest if they're not choosing the first choice. ;)

I have gone paperless whenever possible. Extended outage would be inconvenient.

Yeah, how one quantifies "uncomfortable" is a judgement call:
- one day and I'm getting paying attention to sitting properly 'uncomfortable'
- 1 or 2 days and I'm sitting on a too soft and too close to the floor old couch
- 3 or 5 days and I'm sitting on a really comfy chair, thinking this is the life
- about a week and I'm adjusting my sitting position to avoid a broken spring
- over a week, I just can't even sit anymore...

I don't need to use the Internet daily, but I use it daily. It depends, but I could probably go several days without Internet access before it would really become "inconvenient".

If I got a good night's sleep (minimal hot flash activity), I'm up anywhere from 6 AM - 9 AM. If not, I do the bed slug thing and sleep in until 10:30 AM. I do not get up if I don't feel fully rested.

If up earlier, I always log on while having my coffee in the morning. I check email, then go to the google news site, read a few stories that are not depressing, and maybe visit here.
Once my daily nagging timer goes off at 9 AM, I get away from the computer and do kitchen chores, play with plants, dust or vacuum or get laundry going. I may come back for a quick 5 minute sit down and read email session if my hands start to feel sore doing chores.
By 11 AM, my chores are done and then I decide what big project I'll get done for the day. Or none at all. :dance:
Mr B's computer time is usually while I'm being a bed slug. He still needs some time to shake off the groggies before he can carry on a conversation.

Since Mr B recently quit doing his Legion financial officer duties, we spend more analog time together in the morning and throughout the day. It's nice to have him back on the planet. :D

I only access the internet via my cell phone (Andriod) for radar weather and the MLB schedule. Otherwise, I use the laptop.

Last edited:
Hoping there is some truth to part of an active mind can mean researching and googling. I love doing that and con go for sometime.

DW does puzzles and such. I like the net and some web site development. Lots of email but I do no social stuff.

So for me I love the net and all it has to offer.

I guess I don't understand the point of the question/poll.

What difference does it make? So I check the weather, check stocks, check the news, research something I'm interested in, make hotel reservations, search for someone to take out my dead tree, listen to some youtube videos of music from my youth? That's what it is there for. Why would I care to 'go without'? Is there some kind of 'badge of courage' for doing w/o?

To me, this is like asking "How long can you go without reading a book"? Why would it matter to anyone? Is it a good thing?

-ERD50

I can actually go a few days not using the internet (e.g. marathon watching or reading sessions) but I feel uncomfortable not having an always on internet connection. It's become akin to a security blanket.

That said, internet is a must have the first and last week of the month when I do/schedule all the bill paying.

I guess I don't understand the point of the question/poll.

What difference does it make? So I check the weather, check stocks, check the news, research something I'm interested in, make hotel reservations, search for someone to take out my dead tree, listen to some youtube videos of music from my youth? That's what it is there for. Why would I care to 'go without'? Is there some kind of 'badge of courage' for doing w/o?

To me, this is like asking "How long can you go without reading a book"? Why would it matter to anyone? Is it a good thing?

-ERD50
Exactly! It's a tool for me. I use it to get things done. I can see if you were doing something repetitive and non-productive, and you felt compelled to keep doing that, then maybe there's the "addiction" angle, but that's not how I use my connectivity. The closest thing I have to the addiction thing is reading and posting here, but I excuse that because I do run into exceptional wisdom here sometimes.
2011-01-31.gif

Last edited:
Over in Sardinia, Italy now.

Bought a 4G data package for 30 Euros to use during my 2 week trip.

Sardinia doesn't seem to be as well known to Americans but appears to be a popular destination for Italians and Europeans.

There is an archipelago off the northern coast called La Maddalena. I had pretty good coverage throughout an 8 hour boat tour. Many of the smaller islands are uninhabited but people go to them for stunning beaches.

Had decent coverage even on these smaller islands. Mostly used Internet to connect my iPhone when I took pano shots and videos, to embed GPS data and to do some surfing on the boat.

Here is a speed test from the boat, near the main island, which has a good sized city.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Taken here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=41.208457,9.415477

Now if I can't do without Internet during a trip to a beautiful locale, what hope is there? :)

I spend a lot of time out and away from any form of internet connectivity. Weeks at a time. As long as my attention is occupied with something else, I don't miss it at all. It's a habit that is more like an addiction and there are triggers. When I'm away from those triggers, I just don't miss it. Like it's a whole other life I live on the road and traveling around.
My kids hate it though. They chastise me for being out of contact for that long. I don't own a smart phone and I only turn on my antiquated cell phone when I need to make a call.

When backpacking, I go a week without internet and feel fine.

After about a week without reading I do need to start a new book though.

Internet is convenient but doesn't bother me to be without it at all. Quite happy reading books / newspapers / listening to radio / talking to others to get information when the internet isn't available. For interactions with people, I personally don't find things like facebook, twitter provide any meaningful interactions. Though I like email, I find the younger generation often doesn't put much effort into writing in that context, they seem to prefer things like facebook etc.... Having said all that, I find there are pockets of information including people interactions (like this forum) that really add value that I wouldn't easily find elsewhere. I really appreciate having access to those things. Unfortunately, as I dig around for new useful stuff, I find I have to cull through a huge amount of stuff without any more value than network / cable TV content.

What if you mainly keep up with the news though the web?

I have not bought a paper in over 15 years. I will take a paper if they're passing them out on a flight though.

I put once a day. When I'm at home I usually spend a lot of time on the internet between checking news, checking forums, reading blogs, writing and posting on my blog, playing World of Warcraft, etc.

When I was out of town recently I didn't do a lot of internet. I downloaded a couple of Kindle books (already owned just needed to download to the device I was using). I used internet on my phone to get directions. I used internet to check the weather (there was a lot of flooding going on at the time). I used internet to get email and to do a few text messages. It wasn't a lot, but it was nice to have.

To me, internet is pretty much like having any other utility service. I expect it to be there when I want to use it.

I am on the internet multiple times everyday when I am home. Usually get on line when I have my morning coffee and pick up the iPad during the day when I sit down for a few minutes..like now. Took a nine day cruise this winter and did check email once in one of the ports at a cafe. Otherwise didn't miss it

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom