Poll on "utilities"

How much is your average monthly cost for TV, landline, cellphones and internet?

• $0 - $50

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • $51 - $100

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • $101 - $150

Votes: 46 15.9%
  • $151 - $200

Votes: 58 20.0%
  • $201 - $250

Votes: 52 17.9%
  • over $250

Votes: 82 28.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Direct TV 75.99 per month
AT&T u-verse internet 50.00
Cricket phones for 2- 60.00
Cut cord on land line 2014

185.99 per month total.

All Electric Utilities average for the year- 94.37 per month with Geo Thermal
electric heat and cool in the St Louis area.

Spectrum TV/internet/land phone works less premium channels $205 (just went up $20)
T-mobile phones thru son's plan: ~$80

So sorry - voted before I read your note indicating that only one cell phone bill should be included, not two.

Here is correction:
Cell phone via TMobile Sr. plan (which I learned about here, thank you!): $35 all in, as one half of their $70 all in plan for two 55+ people. For that I get unlimited calls and text throughout North America, plus 5GB of data.

Internet: $50 all in with AT&T. We piggyback off family subscriptions for Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

CBS Online: $5.99. This is our ongoing birthday gift to my SIL, which we then share with family in return for their sharing of above. CBS shows, which my SIL loves, are not available next day via Hulu.

No cable. No landline.

So all in, one person, $90.99/two people $125.99.

Last edited:
Interesting that the definition of utilities in US is different. In Singapore, utilities means power+cooking gas+water.
I wouldn't say this is the definition of utilities in the US. It's only the definition for this poll/thread. I could see these things being included in utilities, but utilities normally includes what you list. I can also see why the OP didn't want to muddy the picture including those things. I'm not taking issue with the thread title, just pointing out that utilities doesn't have an entirely different definition in the US than in Singapore.

Very inexpensive. All you had to do was hang out the kitchen window and yell, “Hey Trixie! Hey Norton! Ready to go to the Raccoon Lodge:confused:

Got to back it up 25 years for that. :LOL:

In Canada

Internet - $34.99 plus tax (Carrytell 75Mb down, 10Mb up)
Cell Phone - $48 plus tax (Fido 5GB data, unlimited phone and text)
Landline - $0 (Obihai200 with freephoneonline.ca (unlimited CDN LD) and Google Voice (Unlimited US LD)
Television - $0 (OTA)

Total $93.77

Very inexpensive. All you had to do was hang out the kitchen window and yell, “Hey Trixie! Hey Norton! Ready to go to the Raccoon Lodge?”

The Kramdens' giant black rotary dial phone always signaled the ominous with its superloud ring.

Monthly costs for TV, phone, cellphone and internet. Since we have both singles and couples, adjust as if you were single (eg; include only one cellphone). Please exclude any promotional credits unless you constantly play the promotional credit game. If you have more than one residence, please average to one residence.

I'll start:

TV.... Dish TV at home $65 and Xfinity in FL $30..........average.... $48
"Landline"... $14 for Ooma Premier............................................$14
Cellphone.... airvoicewireless unlimited talk/text and 2GB data.......$18
Internet.... $65 summer (xcl $20 promo credit) and $70 winter......$68

Total.....................................................................................$148
TV - $0 (Although if you include netflix then $13 (but DF pays us 1/2 so $6
Landline- 0
Cellphone -$136 Then we get reimbursed $50 from DW work and $85 from family so 0
Internet - $40 but DW gets reimbursed $25 so $15

Looks like we pay a total of $15/month for TV / Cell / Internet. :D I know it's hardly believable but true.:flowers:

The Kramdens' giant black rotary dial phone always signaled the ominous with its superloud ring.
We have exactly that phone. As a matter of fact, 4 of our 5 home phones are rotary dial.

Verizon- Fios Triple Play (Cable, Internet, Land Line) - $235.00 - Many TVs, All Premium Channels, Sports Channels etc.....

Verizon Cell Phones - 5 lines unlimited talk and data - $233.00

Total $468.00

I know..........

Google Fiber- $70.
Ting cell phone plan- pay for what I use, generally $20 or less.
Netflix, $11.
MagicJack $3.
Total $104.

Verizon- Fios Triple Play (Cable, Internet, Land Line) - $235.00 - Many TVs, All Premium Channels, Sports Channels etc.....

Verizon Cell Phones - 5 lines unlimited talk and data - $233.00

Total $468.00

I know..........

I'm pretty close to this except mine is TDS for internet, TV and land line and US Cellular for mobile. But I have 2 college kids that need the latest and greatest, and so does my DW. Hopefully in a couple of years I can half this. . . :(

We have exactly that phone. As a matter of fact, 4 of our 5 home phones are rotary dial.

About 20 years ago my dad asked my young nephew (probably 10 years old at the time) to go into the garage and call his mother. A few minutes later he came out with a bewildered look... he couldn't figure out how to use the (rotary) phone. He was just pushing in the holes for the numbers like one would do with a touch-tone phone, but of course nothing was happening After we showed him how to dial a rotary phone he was mesmurized... thought it was the coolest thing.

Netflix $12
Xfinity Internet $80
T-mobile $70
Google Voice + Obihai for land line $0

You guys have good deals. I pay:

Cable/Internet Bundle with HBO/Showtime and 2 boxes in the house: $238
Netflix: $11
2 Cell Phones unlimited data, talk and text: $180

Back
Top Bottom