Votes: 19 15.3%
  • 41-50%

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 51-60%

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Greater than 61%

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters
Wellesley (VWINX) makes up 14.9% of everything own in my stock portfolios. It is my largest single investment as per my mutual funds, ETF's and stocks. Do I get extra credit?

Prior to FIRE last December, APPLE was 80% of my taxable account and 25% of my total.

I diversified in Jan of this year.

At the moment, my largest single holding is DBLSX, a low duration bond fund, at 15% of my total investments.

36% Wellesley. I don't want to go any higher but I have been unable to find another balanced fund that holds same split stock/bonds that performs as well.

...Let's try it this way: An investor has three separate accounts totaling $100. One of those accounts has $40 of SNFX, another account has $20 of SNFX and the third account has $0.00 SNFX. So, there is a total of $60 of SNFX which would make the investor's largest holding be at 60%...

OK, next question for a bonus.

How much can the above investor withdraw each year, and still has a reasonable expectation that he will not be broke in 30 years? :)

About 8% in DW's former employer. A bit higher if you include stock options we haven't exercised yet. Hopefully unload those next year for our last top tax bracket year. Then we need to move some into a Roth.

Not much...but $$$ are in IBonds, Long Term IRA CD's and tiny Annuities.

Low yield, (about 5%+) but hopefully reasonably safe for the next 5 or so years.

Warren Buffet need not fear my financial acumen. :blush:

Just my opinion, but this is kinda bogus when you include ETFs and mutual funds...

You can be totally diversified with just 2 funds (heck if you go Wellington or Wellesley some will say 1 fund)....

So, I can have 60% in one fund and it means nothing....

But, if I have 60% in one STOCK it means a lot...

Maybe having 60% in one fund would be mean nothing, but it might be interesting.

Anyhow, I wasn't thinking of diversification when I devised the poll. I was more thinking about how much of a commitment (in terms of percentage) people are willing to make in their largest stock market investment. This would include people who are invested in only one or two funds.

note: highlight be redduck

My 4 largest holdings are each more than 10%, but less than 11% of the total portfolio. The poll is missing a choice for between 10% and 11%. :)

Wow, judging from the responses here, we are basically living on the edge at 75% SPY. Might be time to dial back a bit, or revisit our allocation...or actually sit down and decide on a target allocation and funds. :facepalm:

We've been in accumulation mode for so long, mostly in the mode of "set it and forget it", that we've just kept chugging along. But we're maybe 3 or 4 years out from FIRE so might be time to re-evaluate and come up with a more long-view plan.

Great poll, thanks.

I would not get extra credit, I would be hit with rotten tomatoes (for stupidity) if I posted my biggest holding, sigh . . . I know I need to do something about it - but it's hard. Inherited stock passed down a few generations. :(

Approximately 60/40 on FDMEX and FDDEX. Medical/healthcare and emerging markets indexes. I moved to what I see as good prospects all around and defensive in late business cycle equity holdings.

I have rainy day money separate, should be good for a couple of years or more.

Vanguard Wellington Admiral Fund at near 15% of total portfolio. In my and wife's Roth IRAs

2.8% in a HK listed PRC gas distributor (China Gas). Nothing else above 2% (apart from real estate) - damn stock keeps going up.

Total US Equities (FSTVX) is 20-something percent of our portfolio.

Let's not forget Money Market funds or similar cash-like items as a holdings in a securities portfolio.

MM/Cash: 12%
ETF/Fund: IWF (I-Shares Russell 1000 Growth): 12%
Individual Security: Berkshire Hathaway: 5.8%

Just my opinion, but this is kinda bogus when you include ETFs and mutual funds...
I don't agree. The poll without comments as to what the holding is may be worthless. But someone that is 60% in VTI or 40% in AAPL can give you some idea in how different investors are here.
I saw one whose largest holding was SDY. For me that was interesting as it is my highest at 9% to 10%.
I would agree that the format (poll with separated comments) makes it more difficult to derive meaning.

45% in Wellesley Admiral Fund. I did this to protect assets in a less volatile fund with an opportunity for modest growth as I approach retirement in about 18 months.

I don't know if it was wise. I guess i will know in 18 months. [emoji6]

I have 25% of my portfolio in the C Fund (the federal gov'ts Thrift Savings Plan's S&P 500 index fund equivalent).

+1 BRK is our largest single holding at 3% with a utility company, CPK, running neck & neck on any given day. I am not suggesting/recommending anyone pick individual stocks but it's amazing how these two holdings have grown over the years. We've trimmed both several times and they continue to outpace many of the other stocks and ETF's we own.

I overlooked the fact that we currently have approximately 15% as cash. Yes, I know... How can someone overlook that much cash?

I consider this a relatively temporary condition as we fully plan to invest most of the cash in the coming months. This unusual situation (for us) stems from trimming here and there as part of periodic rebalancing. We plan to add to a variety of stocks and ETF's already in the portfolio as well as searching for some undervalued items. It seems Mr. Market always has a few sale items even at current record-high market levels.

I don't agree. The poll without comments as to what the holding is may be worthless. But someone that is 60% in VTI or 40% in AAPL can give you some idea in how different investors are here.
I saw one whose largest holding was SDY. For me that was interesting as it is my highest at 9% to 10%.
I would agree that the format (poll with separated comments) makes it more difficult to derive meaning.

Comments can give you insight, but the poll is still bogus...

What information can you get looking at the poll results:confused: NOTHING... (well, nothing of value IMO at least)....

With your example, I would say that the person who has 60% in VTI is well diversified (as long as the other 40% is also diversified) but the person who has 40% in AAPL is taking a BIG risk... but in the poll the 60% looks riskier than the 40% as there is no context to that percentage....

Now, there is also another problem that people who own a big chunk of an individual stock... lets take your AAPL as an example.... say you own 10% of AAPL separate and the rest in mutual funds... but you do not want to go over 10% on any holding.... but if the rest of your money is in VTI you have an additional 3% of your money in AAPL.... now, this is only a problem if you have one of the top cap companies as a small company would not have much in VTI anyhow... but, still could be a problem for some....

About 17% of our total portfolio is in Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 (which is a fund of funds), in the IRA I rolled over from my 401k.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom