• I like polls but don’t eat pizza

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Another type of pizza

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • I like many different styles

Votes: 43 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted chain or frozen but would need to clarify. No way I would eat a Dominoes, Papa Johns, Little Ceasars, etc. and I have never found a frozen pizza worth eating. BUT I exclusively get Papa Murphy's that you get fresh and bake yourself. Major criteria is a decent sauce and a proper crust that is crisp on the outside but chewy on the inside. The only drawback to most pizzas being sold in NE Florida is that I can't find anyone that has anchovies anymore. Bummer!

Cheers!

I dated a girl from the south side of Chicago in the 70's who lived close to the original Home Run Inn. Great pizza - I think it was better then than it is now.

Neapolitan pizza. I make it at home once a week. I cook on a pizza steel at 550˚F in my oven or on the Primo Grill.

I dated a girl from the south side of Chicago in the 70's who lived close to the original Home Run Inn. Great pizza - I think it was better then than it is now.

I went to the original Home Run Inn. Their pizza was the food for my college roommate's wedding rehearsal dinner in 1981. I was the best man, and I went with him to pick up the pizzas.

I voted chain or frozen but would need to clarify. No way I would eat a Dominoes, Papa Johns, Little Ceasars, etc. and I have never found a frozen pizza worth eating. BUT I exclusively get Papa Murphy's that you get fresh and bake yourself. Major criteria is a decent sauce and a proper crust that is crisp on the outside but chewy on the inside. The only drawback to most pizzas being sold in NE Florida is that I can't find anyone that has anchovies anymore. Bummer!

Cheers!

Um. Buy a can of anchovies? You are cooking it at home any way.

I remember my first Chicago deep dish pizza. It was ‘72 or ‘73 and a couple of guys from work suggested we get one after work one day. It was a real delight, served in a skillet 3” or 4” deep and only had a couple of options. The sauce was tangy and a tad spicy, the dough was chewy, and it had to be eaten with knife and fork. Three college guys had one medium pizza.

If you've been to a Monicals pizza restaurant in Illinois you are familiar with their very unique extra thin and crisp crust and their seasoning that makes your mouth water. We've eaten pizza in every corner of the US and Canada and have not found sn identical or superior crust to Monicals. I voted other. I've never heard of tavern pizza but I've had a lot of pizza in taverns.

Last edited:
When I visited Tuscany I had my first Neapolitan style pizza and I thought it was wonderful.

We don’t eat pizza anymore as bread doesn’t fit in our low carb diet. But we eat all the toppings!>:D Mainly as antipasti.

Thin crust New York style with pepperoni and black olives. Sometimes add a bit more cheese and sauce. Best pizza I ever had was in New Jersey. A hole in the wall named Fratelli's. The daughter was the only one that spoke English. My wife's relatives that live not far from the place said it was the best pizza they have ever had. Funny they never tried it before we brought one to their house when visiting there.

NY pizza for the win.

I did a bunch of errands today, including grocery shopping, and would you believe it, when I unpacked the groceries at home I found two stealth pieces of NY pizza in one of the bags - still warm!

I have no idea how they got there - they must have jumped in my cart when my back was turned. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It would have been rude not to eat them, so I did. *Still licking the oil off my fingers. Mmmmhhm. :D

*Edited to add - at home manners. I don't behave that way in public!

Last edited:
I went to the original Home Run Inn. Their pizza was the food for my college roommate's wedding rehearsal dinner in 1981. I was the best man, and I went with him to pick up the pizzas.

Great rehearsal dinner! Weird that I went to Facebook tonight and saw this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.04.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 8.04.18 PM.png
    717.2 KB · Views: 4
I voted "from another country". Specifically Italy.

I also like a pizza that a local restaurant makes that would qualify as "Californian".... Wood fired thin crust with creme freshe, salmon (thin like lox), and toasted capers. So good. We've learned this make it at home.

I always laugh at the American "Sicilian" pizza since I've never seen pizza like that in Sicily.

Hubby has mastered the thin crust dough and we'use a pizza brick and super hot oven. Usual is margarita with some sausage added.

Wood fired, brick oven style like you get in Italy.

The best pizza I've ever had was in Italy. The flavor and texture is insane! The volcanic soil there makes for better ingredients. I couldn't get enough of it.

Best in the US is New York, where I'm from. I've lived in Florida for 40 years and miss it badly! Haven't had anything here or anywhere else in the US that compares to NY.

I voted for another style. I miss the pizza that the Greek restaurants in the Boston area made. I guess it was called Greek Pizza, but the best pizza I ever had was at Pizzeria Due in Chicago.

This is proof to me that North Side Chicago and South Side Chicago are two completely distinct cultures. I grew up North Side and have never heard of this place in my entire life, until this thread.

BTW, now that I live away from Chicago, I can discern the difference between a N. Side accent and S. Side accent!

If you've been to a Monicals pizza restaurant in Illinois you are familiar with their very unique extra thin and crisp crust and their seasoning that makes your mouth water. We've eaten pizza in every corner of the US and Canada and have not found sn identical or superior crust to Monicals. I voted other. I've never heard of tavern pizza but I've had a lot of pizza in taverns.

Monical's is our favorite US based chain. Their crust is super thin and crusty. It makes the ingredients stand out and that crunch...mmmmm.

Monical's is our favorite US based chain. Their crust is super thin and crusty. It makes the ingredients stand out and that crunch...mmmmm.

I would add that a deep dish place "Poppa Del's" in Urban Illinois from my grad school days at the U of I in the late 70's was very special. They're gone now I think.

I would add that a deep dish place "Poppa Del's" in Urban Illinois from my grad school days at the U of I in the late 70's was very special. They're gone now I think.

In the mid 70's I remember eating Garcia's pizza in Champaign on the U of I campus while attending basketball camp. It was a real treat for a small town kid!

I had my first pizza in 1957 in State College, Pa when I was about 10. I must have liked my first one because after that I would go by and see if they had any free pizza they were going to throw away because it was a little more brown on the bottom crust than what they would have sold. It didn't happen often but once in awhile I would score.

Cheers!

As I was pondering this, I talked through it with my wife in order to get to the true answer.

"If I was told that pizza would be my last meal ..."

"...I would be disappointed " :D

But I came down on many styles because pizza can be more "snacky", and tavern makes sense, and more in the "meal" category would lead me to Chicago.

Thin made in wood fired brick owen. The kind that is done in a matter of few minutes.

Last edited:
NY pizza for the win.

I did a bunch of errands today, including grocery shopping, and would you believe it, when I unpacked the groceries at home I found two stealth pieces of NY pizza in one of the bags - still warm!

I have no idea how they got there - they must have jumped in my cart when my back was turned. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

It would have been rude not to eat them, so I did. *Still licking the oil off my fingers. Mmmmhhm. :D

*Edited to add - at home manners. I don't behave that way in public!
I like the way you deal with unexpected situations :)
As I was pondering this, I talked through it with my wife in order to get to the true answer.

"If I was told that pizza would be my last meal ..."

"...I would be disappointed " :D

But I came down on many styles because pizza can be more "snacky", and tavern makes sense, and more in the "meal" category would lead me to Chicago.
At least with pizza as a last meal one doesn’t have to worry about the carb overload

Back
Top Bottom