Poll-What Are Your Favorite Mature Greens?

Your favorite greens?

• Beet greens

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Chard

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Collards

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Kale

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Mustard

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Turnip

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My favorite are young turnip or beet greens with the small beet or turnips attached. But these are hard to find.

I think I like mustard best of what I can buy in the supermarket, but all of them have to be cooked pretty thoroughly to soften them up. Add onions and garlic and carrots and dried red pepper and a ham hock or some smoked neck bones and you be eatin'. :)

Beet greens with the little beets attached are the best, but hard to find in the Midwest (Ohio).

Spinach. Otherwise, for voting purposes I'll go with you two and vote beet greens.

Spinach. Otherwise, for voting purposes I'll go with you two and vote beet greens.

I considered including spinach, but it seems so different from the rest as it is naturally quite tender. I usualy stir fry spinach, but farm greens are too tough for that.

Ha

BTW, I had beet greens with little beets attached yesterday for lunch at my cousins.

No particular favorite, but I always have greens with "soup beans and cornbread", and a side of fried taters...

Tough choice for me between Kale and Swiss Chard. Its like asking what child is your favorite ;)

Garlic, Olive oil,Jalapeno

Clean greens.

Olive oil saute garlic and Jalapeno . Plop in greens on med/high .

Throw a piece of salmon on top to steam

Cover

Lemon juice before serving.

Yum..

Gotta have garlic...;)

Actually I don't care for greens at all. I had to eat a lot of them when I was a kid. :p

I'll eat whatever they serve at the 19th Hole restaurant. You are talking about golf, aren't you?

young mature greens?

actually never heard the term mature greens before. when i yahoo search mature greens the first item that came up is bok choy and it just so happens i totally love baby bok choy so, while i don't know much about young mature greens, apparently i have a penchant for infant mature greens.

spinach was mentioned above and i love that sauteed. can't stand it boiled. of those in the poll i've only tried kale but i maybe i didn't know what i was doing because it wasn't so good.

i also love beets but i never ate the green part, just the red bulb. terrible canned but great fresh. tough to cook without making a mess but worth it.

Those choices are food?? I eat spinach, lettuce, green onions and Broccoli but of those I have only tried beet greens.

I love just about any greens...but my all time fave are collards sauteed in a little bit of fresh bacon grease, then the fried bacon broken up and mixed in with the greens just before serving. Once on the plate, I sprinkle on a little bit o' vinegar. They go great with ham hocks & beans, some fried taters, and corn bread. Oh yeah, and hand me that there bottle of hot sauce...either Louisiana or Tabasco......I like 'em both. Good ol' 'down home' cookin'!

I love just about any greens...but my all time fave are collards sauteed in a little bit of fresh bacon grease, then the fried bacon broken up and mixed in with the greens just before serving. Once on the plate, I sprinkle on a little bit o' vinegar. They go great with ham hocks & beans, some fried taters, and corn bread. Oh yeah, and hand me that there bottle of hot sauce...either Louisiana or Tabasco......I like 'em both. Good ol' 'down home' cookin'!
You can get your collards soft enough just with sauteing them? Do you add a little water and cover for a while too? I'm with you on the vinegar and hot sauce. I marinate some garlic and dried hot peppers in cidar vinegar for this very purpose. :)

Ha

You can get your collards soft enough just with sauteing them? Do you add a little water and cover for a while too?
Usually there's just enough water left on them after rinsing them under the faucet, along with the bacon grease, to just saute them with a lid on the pan, stirring occasionally. They get soft/tender enough for my taste.....I don't like things too soft or mushy, they need a little 'body'.
I marinate some garlic and dried hot peppers in cider vinegar for this very purpose.
That sound good! I'll have to give that a shot when my cayennes are ready. :D

Benjamins. Otherwise, spinach and basil but not together.

you didn't list my favorite: broccoli rabe
broccolirabe_bcb375.jpg

Ha...you can eat mustard greens raw in salads or I make a sandwich of mustard greens tossed in a vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic diced celery and hot sauce then put them on a roll with smoked oysters.

Its this recipe but substituting mustard greens for the watercress:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/smoked-oyster-poboys

We've been getting lots of greens from the farm lately. Baby radish greens with little tiny radishes, turnip greens, beet greens, arugula and the mystery greens...she forgot what seed she planted in that spot and nobody knows what they are. Good flavor, fairly bitter, looks like green leaf lettuce but its not. The chard started coming in last week.

I'd have to say my favorite of all time though is collard greens long cooked with a smoked ham hock. You just cant beat it.

Kale greens cooked with a little fatback, and then served with cider vinegar and salt...

At least the greens and vinegar are healthful!

Back
Top Bottom