Poll: What is your basic income need (floor) in retirement?

1. 34,000 No mortgage, excludes contributions and taxes.
2. 2 adults
3. Midwest - small town
4. Recently retired

This is an average of our actual (inflation adjusted) spending for the last few years, except for a "larger" trip one year that I don't consider basic. I'm still on my former employer's health plan, so that keeps health premiums and out-of-pocket down to a few thousand. The good news is that if we don't take SS until age 66, our combined SS benefit will be about 36,000 (and that's tax-free if it's your only income).

1) $24K/year
2) 1 person
3) In the USA more than 50 miles from a coast renting
4) Recently semi-retired but not yet relocated

Here is a barebones budget that I could live with for a long time:

280 EatOut/Groceries/Entertainment
045 Gas/transit
000 Auto principal (public transport if car dies)
080 Auto maintenance/insurance (I am driving less, too)
045 CellPhone (and only cell phone)
080 Internet/CableTV
080 Utilities [electric/laundry] (water/garbage included in rent)
085 Travel
400 Health (wild card)
650 Housing/Rent 1 br apartment
200 Misc/Cash/Gifts
===============
$1945/month = $23340/year. So I made it $24K. Income tax would add a little more.

My actual budget is considerably more than this.

RE: Health insurance. My premiums for high deductible private policy are $85/month meaning actual total post-tax health costs probably will average about $200/month in the short term. I put $400 in budget above to account for some inflation in the future.

For $3K more per year I could take a 1-2 month overseas international vacation each year, too.

Kramer

lazygood4nothinbum said:
1) think i'm paying off mortgage so will be $35k including all the goodies plus about another $10k/yr for domestic travel over next few years. after that possibly a few years living in third world with international travel and after that maybe a liveaboard cruising life.

that $35k includes health insurance plus it budgets the full deductible of $2800 which i doubt i'll ever use. for emergency belt tightening i could deduct from allowances for auto gas, tires & maintenance & miscellaneous, home improvements, gym, restaurants, clothing, technology, other miscellaneous cash on hand, bringing budget down to about $30k barebones while keeping those bones well insured.

i don't require a lot of money to play with, but if i had to live completely barebones, i would just go back to work.

1) 45k will just about keep the bill collectors at bay. Want fun ... add 25k more.
2) 4 people
3) north of Boston
4) retired (Oct 2005)

Masterblaster said:
By the way, my post wasn't too serious. My personal standards are considerably higher than that. However considering that most of the world lives under very simple conditions, the point is, is that what we really need is very very little. The rest is up to you and your standards.

ah, sorry, as I've probably made clear in other posts, I'm a bit of a nutrition nut. :-[

I get a little crazy, as there are lots of people out there that think a diet of rice & beans alone (or mcD's alone) is more than good enough to stay healthy.

I do agree though, that when I look at my own retirement calculations, I want to have enough to say, travel every year. but how long I travel/to where/what kind of hotels I stay in/etc would be depandant on if I scrimped elsewhere (ate out less, bought less truffle oil), found good deals, wanted a shorter/more luxurious trip or a longer/more frugal trip, etc...

I guess the important thing for me is to finish early enough to enjoy it a lot, but still have enough to make sure that, barring catastrophe, I'll be in enjoyable shape.

Conjecture at this point, but my rock bottom budget would be ~$25k (with mortgage and subsidized health insurance). Would be shooting for ~$40k "income".

Republic of Texas
?

1) $31,000 but that is FLOOR. Will actually start out at twice that with significant travel and discretionary. Mortgage paid off.

2) 2 people

3) Western Canada

4) 2 more months to work

chinaco said:
1) pre-tax income minimum floor in today's dollars (identify if this include mortgage or rent)
2) How many people will the income support (e.g. 2 people)
3) area of the country (e.g. midwest, west coast, east coast) plus if you are in a high expense are (e.g. Manhattan)
4) Status retired/working - Are you planning or have actual experience.

1) 36K (no mortgage)
2) 2 adults, at least 1 child (probably another 1 or 2)
3) currently east coast (FIRE may be Europe)
4) working and planning

1) Floor would probably be $45K (house paid off), will need health insurance. Add $10K a year for the first 5-10 years for traveling.
2) 1 and a few animals (I'll add more if I add another person!)
3) Washington, DC, but will likely move to a lower cost area
4) working and planning.

As I look at these pages of "rock bottom" budgets, I realize that we in this country are REALLY going to have some big surprises in what we consider "necessary" should really hard times hit.

Maybe it's because we have lived for years off and on in Third World countries, and also at periods in our younger days in a "back to the land" hippie style, but the things that most middle-class people consider necessities are not only not necessites to most of the world, they aren't even necessities for maybe 40 or 50 million people here in the U.S.

In answer to a couple of comments that were made regarding our bare bones budget of $10,000 or less.......the question was asked in the OP what one would HAVE to have, yet most of you seem to have assumed that even in hard times you would still have a similar lifestyle to what you enjoy today, just more carefully budgeted. A budget that would consist of such things as full health insurance, cell phones, internet, comfortable suburban living with air conditioning, etc. So we may, indeed, be talking some apples and oranges here.

I notice that many of you seem to have the type of health insurance that pays for most everything. We have NEVER had that, and don't today. We have always carried catastrophic health insurance with a high deductible, sometimes $5,000 per person per calendar year and sometimes an even higher deductible. Regular medical care we just wrote a check. In twenty years, we never needed to use our catastrophic insurance policy. We just self insured for the small stuff.

This year I crossed over the great divide and now have Medicare. With my Part B deduction, supplemental insurance and prescription drug coverage (heck, I went for the good stuff), it costs about $250 per month. For the first time in my life, I have insurance for regular stuff like doctor visits. My husband, who is younger, at 57 years old, pays $149 per month for a $5,000 deductible policy. Were hard times to hit, I would probably drop the supplemental and drug coverage. Maybe I would just drop back to the regular old part of Medicare that is free. After all, we're talking rock bottom necessity here.

One question I find myself having is that why so many people, with apparently seven figure investment portfolios would feel they had to pay for insurance that would cover every little doctor bill. We self insure for everything that wouldn't cripple us financially, and even with unlimited money would never have paid huge bills every month for "full" insurance. Guess many of you think differently.

For example, we have never carried collision insurance on our vehicles (other than the motorhome when new when that loss could have caused a $200,000+ problem). At this point, now that it is nine years old, that risk is lessened because of depreciation, so we are considering dropping collision on that as well. For a regular vehicle where the maximum loss would be smaller, we've never carried anything but liability. And since over thirty years, we've never smushed one, at this point we are way ahead, and could cover the cost of a brand new car probably just in saved collision and comprehensive premiums. And if we added in the investment potential that those unspent insurance premiums represent, maybe even several cars.

Sometimes it seems to us that Americans want and need to feel that they are insured against EVERYTHING. My mother even took out trip insurance for trips that were going to cost her less than $2,000. Just seemed silly to us. Life is full of risks. That's just part of life.

It's actually hard to find a better diet than rice and beans, if the rice is brown rice, and the rice and beans are supplemented with some fruits and veggies. We've known folks for many years living in Mexico who eat little but rice, beans, tortillas, tomatos, onions and chiles, and are apparently quite healthy and could work our butts into the ground.

We are an incredibly spoiled society. The things we feel are necessary are unimaginable luxuries to most of the world. We may have some big adjustments necessary someday.

When I posited a $10,000 per year budget, I was envisioning a time when the market would be way down, companies reducing or eliminating dividends, etc., and wondering just how little we could spend and how we could manage without having to sell investments if our income stream really dried up. I was assuming our situation which is that we have adequate tools, etc. to do a great deal for ourselves, and even to earn or barter those skills with others. Some might be less prepared with useful skills.

That budget would assume a mostly vegetarian diet, low cost basic, but nutrional foods, thrift store or remade clothing, simple pleasures, little travel, etc. but adequate nutrition, fun in our lives, friends, and enjoyment. Very little money is necessary for that.

Please note: my comments are not meant to disparage any other's choices, but just to clarify that our thinking seems to be coming from a different place. If the bottom fell out, believe me, I wouldn't think I still needed to have a cell phone, high speed internet, full health insurance or anything like those things. I would be looking at food, clothing and shelter at levels necessary for survival and hopefully even some degree of comfort, but certainly not looking to maintain a standard middle-class lifestyle.

Obviously, I hope it would never come to that, but it sure helps you sleep at night when you realize that the tiniest percentage of what you have today is what is REALLY necessary to have.

LooseChickens

In light of what Loosechickens said, I figure our family could get by on around a few thousand bucks per year if the end of the world occurred.

There's plenty of fish in our lake. We could breed our own cats for food. Catch birds, geese, and rabbits plus the occasional neighborhood stray violating the leash laws. Grow my own food and use lake water for irrigation. Dumpster dive the local restaurants and grocery stores for food. Forage for vines, nuts, berries and fruits. Walk everywhere I needed to go.

Just not have health insurance and accept any illnesses or deaths as "acceptable losses" unless we could afford to pay for treatment.

It wouldn't be that bad really. We are pretty spoiled as a nation! :D

for us,
1. $85,000 includes mortgage and health insurance
2. 4 people (2 as kids with college to plan for)
3. northern Florida
4. too long to go

What do these people spend their money on? Must have a lot of expensive hobbies, second and third homes, boats and rvs, new cars every 3 years, or do they really just eat out every night and buy lots of stuff they never use? I live in an expensive coastal area, but that probably saves me on utilities which were $900 last year. Food was up to $1856. Gas was up to $705. And that isn't scrimping, but I don't have any expensive hobbies, nor hardly any monthly bills other than utilities and internet.

Wierd, my reply got lost.

loosechickens, I agree with most everything you wrote.

To me, though, it comes down to how you define the word "need". My definition is that I only need those things that, without them, my lifespan would be significantly shortened. So my list includes air, water, food, shelter, and basic medical care.

Fortunately, I have enough in the bank I could retire today and have my basic needs met for the rest of my life (1), so at the moment, I am working to pay for my kids, their college, my mortgage, and Uncle Sam. Given that, the bare bones budget I posted earlier isn't even bare bones: It includes my car expenses, eating out, air conditioning, and some other things that I don't consider needs. I could probably cut it back to $8K or less pretty easily.

2Cor521

(1) Ignoring the fact that I still have a mortgage, which is not immaterial.

loosechickens said:
Obviously, I hope it would never come to that, but it sure helps you sleep at night when you realize that the tiniest percentage of what you have today is what is REALLY necessary to have.

LooseChickens

*applause*

So, so true.

aenlighten said:
What do these people spend their money on? Must have a lot of expensive hobbies, second and third homes, boats and rvs, new cars every 3 years, or do they really just eat out every night and buy lots of stuff they never use?...

Our expenses are on the high end compared with some of the others here. I have a morgage but no car payments. House expenses run over $3000/year not counting mortgage($20,000) or RE taxes ($6000). Our other expenses involve a lot of medical expenses, educational expenses, 529 contributions, a couple of "nice trips" per year, gifts, charity contributions, eating out once or twice a week (fast food), a rather large liquor bill :D, and keeping DW happy expenses.

Expenses are relative to what you CAN and WANT to spend vs your income or assets. We have been fortunate so our expenses reflect that. What is extreem to one is 'possium living to another.

loosechickens said:
When I posited a $10,000 per year budget, I was envisioning a time when the market would be way down, companies reducing or eliminating dividends, etc., and wondering just how little we could spend and how we could manage without having to sell investments if our income stream really dried up. I was assuming our situation which is that we have adequate tools, etc. to do a great deal for ourselves, and even to earn or barter those skills with others. Some might be less prepared with useful skills.

That budget would assume a mostly vegetarian diet, low cost basic, but nutrional foods, thrift store or remade clothing, simple pleasures, little travel, etc. but adequate nutrition, fun in our lives, friends, and enjoyment. Very little money is necessary for that.

I think you are dreaming. Also note that things you barter for are also paid, but by your labor rather than by your money. To say I spend $10,000 -- but of course I house sit, take care of peoples cats in return for the food in the fridge... --IMO is not quite kosher. If you have a business reason for appearing to be more frugal than you are, maybe it makes sense as commercial spinning or promotion.

In a situation that you describe I suppose most of us would adapt, perhaps some better than others. But I doubt trapping moles for the stewpot was what the OP had in mind when he asked for a minimum budget. :)

(Added after reading other entries on surviving by hunting and fishing) This living off the land is not going to happen. The reason is that there are way too many people in all but the very remotest parts of the world. If people are thrown onto hunting and fishing watch how fast the fish and game disappear, and most of it will be taken by people a whole lot more experienced and tough (and nasty) than you are. Maybe learn to eat worms. or breed grasshoppers or something would buy you some time. :)

Ha

HaHa said:
(Added after reading other entries on surviving by hunting and fishing) This living off the land is not going to happen. The reason is that there are way too many people in all but the very remotest parts of the world. If people are thrown onto hunting and fishing watch how fast the fish and game disappear, and most of it will be taken by people a whole lot more experienced and tough (and nasty) than you are. Maybe learn to eat worms. or breed grasshoppers or something would buy you some time. :)

Ha

Or Soylent Green, which I am lead to understand is very tasty...

Seems that Loosechickens' post has caused a lot of re-thinking here! :D

I was thinking that "basic income" meant the amount of available retirement income that would be enough that I would feel free to retire. I spend much less right now. Still, I would like to have the option of spending more in retirement if I want to, and still have some left to invest for the future.

One thing that I do plan to do in retirement, is to start growing my own vegetables again. Some of the skills we learned when we were younger, and poorer, can actually give us a better quality of life in retirement. Fresh vegetables on our plates, homemade soup, the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven... not to mention visits to libraries or parks, attending free concerts, volunteering, and so on.

1) 40k (includes rent)
2) 1 person
3) Los Angeles
4) working

Very rough guess as the real wildcards for me are retirement tax rates and health insurance. Excluding taxes and health insurance would be about 30k.

Loosechickens, I think most (including mine) numbers in this thread are not "minimum survival" types of basic income. I'm sure I could get by on much less, but in that case it would not be worth it for me to retire. In a mild disaster scenario (i.e. very bad economic times, but not the collapse of civilization), I'll likely be sharing housing or moving to a cheaper area, selling the car, and eating much rice and beans!

aenlighten said:
What do these people spend their money on? Must have a lot of expensive hobbies, second and third homes, boats and rvs, new cars every 3 years, or do they really just eat out every night and buy lots of stuff they never use?

I think that, like other people said, we've got different definitions of 'basic'. If I went for 'basic' food/water/shelter then I'd need far less to get by on. Of course, that would be a lot less enjoyable; I don't want to retire early & get little enjoyment out of it. But that doesn't mean needing a new car every 3 years (don't have a car, in nyc), or 2nd & 3rd homes (unless they're rental properties), or eating out every night.

Basic for me is enough goodies & treats to feel like I'm really enjoying myself (being able to travel, eat out every once in a while), but not so many goodies & treats that they loose their meaning, their impact. The book 'Your Money or Your Life' by Joe Dominguez & Vicki Robin talk about a kind of 'sweet spot' of having 'enough'. I like to eat out. it gives me pleasure to have a wonderful meal (even moreso with wonderful people). But if I ate a lavish meal every day, then eventually the novelty would fade & I'd lose the enjoyment of it, which would make doing it pointless.

So, I'd like to have enough to stay in that sweet spot, without going over.

I aso think it amazing how location-dependent these numbers can be. DW and I figured out that our total living expenses would drop by at least a third if we moved from suburban NJ to Denver.

SecondCor521 said:
loosechickens, I agree with most everything you wrote.

To me, though, it comes down to how you define the word "need". My definition is that I only need those things that, without them, my lifespan would be significantly shortened. So my list includes air, water, food, shelter, and basic medical care.

loosechickens and 2ndCor512,

I agree with both of you on the basic neccessity of life. I consider myself a simple person living a simple life. However, I just cannot imagine a budget of 10K for 2 persons in this country. There is a reason (I think) why the goverment publishes the poverty data every year. That data says 14K is the poverty level for a couple (2 persons). Push comes to shove, I think I can do it with 20K for 2 persons in this country. Anything less than that would be depriving, I think.

I guess what I'm saying is show me how it can be done with 10K? IIRC, I think you, loosechickens, live full time in a newer RV. Depreciation alone on that RV is at least 10K annually, no?

Sam said:
There is a reason (I think) why the goverment publishes the poverty data every year. That data says 14K is the poverty level for a couple (2 persons). Push comes to shove, I think I can do it with 20K for 2 persons in this country. Anything less than that would be depriving, I think.

Remember also that these poverty data are not adjusted for commodities and services received- like food stamps, rent subsidies, various low income medical programs, etc. So even at this level, a level most of us would not want to visit as adults anyway, to pay for an equivalent lifestyle to the povery level would take more than $14,000.

Ha

Re: Loosechickens post

Thanks, interesting food for thought. My criterion for my $24K budget (including rent) for a singleton was the least I would live on for multiple years without going back to work. It is not a survival budget or even close. For instance, I included cable, internet, eating out, some entertainment, etc.

On insurance, I generally agree. My health is $5K/$10K in/out-network deductibles. I have only had liability insurance on my used car for years with the max deductible, no collision coverage and not even uninsured motorist coverage.

There was not higher deductible health insurance available for me. But if one gets a chronic condition, or requires expensive meds, you may start paying the entire deductible each year, in addition to rising premiums and some out-of-network or uncovered costs. So a chronic condition with a $5K deductible may raise a single person's health costs to more like $12K per year, each and every year, until you are 65 counting your health premiums and a few uncovered and out of network expenses (and possibly cost even more). I still might have gone higher deductible, though, if one were available.

Kramer

Back
Top Bottom