Votes: 2 0.9%
  • A tabletop-sized artificial tree

Votes: 34 15.6%
  • Other/none

Votes: 50 22.9%

• Total voters

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm putting up a tabletop artificial tree with cute miniature ornaments, lights, and even a pile of miniature gift boxes underneath. We don't exchange gifts, and I'm happy playing with the boxes. :)

I've been doing live trees for years now, but last year, the one we got was $100, so I was getting a bit fed up with the price creep. We swore we were going to try and find a fake one on sale right after the holidays, but then life got in the way and we forgot. But, we just ordered an artificial one from Amazon, pre-lit, for around $300. It's supposed to come sometime today.

I liked the real trees, but always hated the mess with the needles and getting them bagged up and out of the house. Not to mention the cat constantly trying to drink out of the base. He would reach his paw in, splash at the water, get his paw wet, and then lick the water off his paw. And, even though we put down a skirt, or whatever you call it, to protect the carpet, naturally he'd find a way to still get the carpet wet. And wet carpet is like a dirt magnet, especially when it's white carpet!

We haven't done a real tree in over 5 years. We love this one, we just put a cover over it and store it in the "basement" (upstairs) Jan thru Nov. All the lights and ornaments stay on so setting up the tree takes 10 minutes.

DW does decorate the house inside and out pretty extensively. She has a bunch of collector Santa’s (Possible Dreams Clothtique).

We quit exchanging gifts quite a few years ago, but we did fill each others Christmas stockings every year ($50 limit each). This year we plan to stop that practice too - we really don’t need anything, and we tended to buy each other fancy nuts and candy and we definitely don’t need that temptation under our noses! :nonono:

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
We have an artificial tree 5 ft tall that sits on a short bench about 18 inches off the floor. I voted it as table-topped.

Real deal here... $85 w/tax

At our age we don't do Christmas trees any more, or decorate at all for Christmas, actually. Our preference.

I polled as artificial tree but also have two tabletop artificial trees also. My wife just got things up and will be down a day or so after Christmas.

No tree or decorations at all for me this year. I leave on December 12 for a trip to see the Christmas markets (and other normal sightseeing) in Bavaria, Germany and eastern France. I won't be home until December 27th. I didn't see a reason to pull out the decorations this year. I'll see plenty of them in Europe.

Always artificial as my wife is allergic to the real trees. The bottom 1/3rd doesn’t get decorated as one cat is easily enticed into playing with hanging ornaments.

We stopped with live trees the year after my friends house burned down and his son was killed when he went back in for the dog. Cause, christmas tree.

Sorry to ruin this fine thread with doom amd gloom.

Merry Christmas, and be safe. :wave:

I haven't put up any Christmas tree in probably 7 to 10 years. Hard to believe in hindsight. I have a pre-lit artificial and always liked Christmas decorations in general. I just haven't been up for doing the work in a long time. I put up a couple easy lighted decorations.

Growing up, we always had live trees every year.

Last edited:
We have an artificial tree 5 ft tall that sits on a short bench about 18 inches off the floor. I voted it as table-topped.

Same thing - artificial about 5' tall, on top of a short table (actually a box with a sheet over it.) about 18" off the floor. This raises it to the front window height.

I voted artificial, vs table top, because most table tops are 2' tall or less.

We did real (cut) trees until 3 years ago. Combination of price and hassle made us make the switch. Our little tree is prelit, but I add another string of lights to it. It takes less than half an hour to get set up and decorated.

Happy Holidays everyone!

For the first time in 55 years of marriage, no Christmas tree this time. DW still put up a fair amount of decorations in the house, but neither of us have the energy or enthusiasm to put up, decorate, then take down a tree. Bah, humbug!

Last edited:
Not sure if the tree will go up this year. DW has been dealing with her mom and then her mom’s funeral and there’s just not the energy this year. We had to bring a bunch of stuff to our house when we cleared out her mom’s belongings from memory care and they would have to be dealt with before the tree can go up.

I’ve been trying to get DW to give up the large (artificial) tree for years. We don’t have a good place to store it and it’s very difficult to get down and put it together (is on a shelf, in a big canvas bag separated into three parts. It goes right to our 8ft ceiling. Is just too much. Maybe I can get a nice table top tree this year and see if DW will warm up to the idea.

I do have the outdoor lights up. Nothing special, but I do like the Christmas lights.

Always a real tree. BUT... we came very close to succumbing to the lure of an artificial tree. Checked a bunch of reviews and decided on the one that was supposed to be as "real" as possible, plus it was on sale at Amazon, Lowe's and Home Depot. All sold out by the time we made the decision, of course. And all the ones I see on display at the big box stores look like plastic pipe cleaners.

So, we are planning on buying a real tree on Thursday. One of my former co-w*rkers lives on a tree farm in the close-in suburbs, inherited from his Dad, so I'll probably buy mine there again this year. I'll have to avoid getting into a conversation on the latest office politics and gossip, which I have zero interest in.

We'll be looking for an after-Xmas deal this year, I guess. We're getting a bit tired of the hassle of a real tree, even though we love them so much. The smell, the look, the cat drinking out of the stand...

Real Tree here. Grandson loves the ritual and looks forward to it.....look at what seems like 100's of trees, select one, cut the tree down with a saw, strap it to the roof of the SUV, bring it home, fresh cut 1/4" off the trunk, water in the stand, smell the aroma and decorate.

Balsam Hill Pre-lit Artificial Tree for the past 10 years. Four sections, assembles in minutes. Remote control for changeable lighting effects.....DW likes the all white look. I prefer the warm glow of the multi-colored Led lights. That's what the Druids had in mind when they hung evergreen branches around their fireplaces.

We have one 8 ft tree in our living room area, two medium sized trees in other rooms (one is my bedroom) and two smaller mini trees. I just ordered a little tree for my yoga/guest room as our Illinois son is coming home for Christmas.

Simple, only my little ljusstake julgran. (sorry the pic came out sideways!)

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 8
This year, a tabletop fake tree. Next year, a 4.5 foot fake tree. Unless DW changes her mind. She's in charge of Christmas trees.

Still deciding. I'll have to report back in a few days.

No Christmas tree. Haven’t for decades. I did one once in my own home, I think it was 1988.

Back
Top Bottom