Polyp in Uterus???? Need some help with this one, please!

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've done about all the computer investigation on my own that I can, so thought I would turn to the forum here and see if anyone has answers:

I have a polyp on my uterus--not Cancerous according to the biopsy--and now the Dr. wants to give me a complete hysterectomy. After doing alot of homework and finding out that these are common, I'm wondering, "Why?"

I'm 67 years old (and will be 68 in August), in good health (no meds :dance:) and, from what I'm reading, another polyp might grow back within a year or might not.

There is a genetic pre-disposition to colon Cancer from one Grandma, but looks to me I could do an endometrial biopsy once a year to check if I'm still clean instead of doing a complete hysterectomy. From what I'm reading, a complete hysterectomy seems pretty radical when a non-Cancerous polyp is found. And if one grows back, from what I read, big deal cause they aren't dangerous. Am I not getting what the Dr. is saying?

Any knowledge about this or real life experience? :confused:

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Orchidflower. Fortunately since it is not cancerous and you are in good health, there is no reason to rush to do anything. You are doing the right thing to research your options.

From my experience (with a large fibroid, not a polyp), some doctors are of the opinion that women past menopause (or even past childbearing age) should generally have a hysterectomy if they have any kind of uterine issue, while others are comfortable with minimal treatment or watchful waiting. The doctor who originally diagnosed my fibroid in 1997 wanted to do an immediate hysterectomy, but I researched it and basically refused. After I moved a few years later, my new ob/gyn at first was OK with this, but after a few years she insisted on doing repeated endometrial biopsies (which BTW I found excruciatingly painful) and said I needed the hysterectomy (although based on what I was reading from my own research, nothing had changed). So I got a referral to a new gyn from my primary care doc, and this doctor has been perfectly fine to just monitor with annual ultrasounds.

I suggest getting a second opinion. Request all of your records from your current doc and either have them sent or take them to the 2nd opinion doc. If the doc tries to talk you out of the 2nd opinion or make it difficult, that's a red flag for me.

Good luck!

A second opinion is needed, I agree! So sorry to read about this and hope all turns out well, OF.

When my uterine fibroids got large enough that I finally had to "do something", I elected a uterine fibroid embolization which stopped the fibroids growing and made them shrink. Not a minor procedure, but it was much less invasive than surgery and had a super short recovery period.

My personal experience has been that gynecologists are quick to recommend hysterectomies. A friend of mine almost died from complications of a hysterectomy that she later concluded hadn't been necessary, and she still lives with several side effects. She now feels that unless diagnosed with cancer, recommendation of a hysterectomy should be scrutinized very carefuly if not outright refused.

I just don't understand the "just take it out" mentality when a hysterectomy is such major abdominal surgery with a long recovery.

If monitoring with annual or twice a year ultrasounds is an option, that is a very non-invasive procedure. Personally, I would rather pay for them out of my own pocket then risk a hysterectomy.

Of course, this is my own opinion. Do your own research. But this seems to be an area where you have to educate yourself and advocate for yourself and sometimes you have to shop for a doctor who sees things the way you do.

Audrey

Last edited:
My personal experience has been that gynecologists are quick to recommend hysterectomies. A friend of mine almost died from complications of a hysterectomy that she later concluded hadn't been necessary, and she still lives with several side effects. She now feels that unless diagnosed with cancer, recommendation of a hysterectomy should be scrutinized very carefuly if not outright refused.

I just don't understand the "just take it out" mentality when a hysterectomy is such major abdominal surgery with a long recovery.

Audrey

I absolutely agree with Audrey . Some gynecologists are quick to rush into hysterectomies . I would get a second and maybe third opinion.

When you look for a doctor for a second opinion, try a female doctor if you can. I find my that my female gynecologist has a different perspective on many issues.

Just my personal feeling on female issues.

I agree with Audrey and Moe. Hysterectomy is one of those surgeries which is "pushed" by scalpel happy gynecologists who see it as a nice clean solution to everything. When the say "complete hysterectomy" they mean remove your ovaries as well. I don't know about you, but I'm fond of whatever estrogen the old girls are dripping out. I do think you should get at least one other opinion, and from a female gynecologist. Furthermore, if you eventually do decide to go for the hysterectomy, see if it's possible to have a vaginal procedure. That's when they take out a relatively small uterus through the vagina with no abdominal incision and a shorter recovery time.

No experience with this situation in particular, but when my 21-year old daughter was diagnosed with a dermoid cyst on her ovary, the OB-GYN told her they would have to remove it - no other option. A little traumatic for a young girl to hear....

I did some research and learned that wasn't always the only option. Very often the cyst itself could be removed. Fortunately we had a very supportive GP, who found and set us up with another OB-GYN more specialized in that area. His approach was to examine each cyst and make his decision on a case-by-case basis, not a "one size fits all" solution. In my daughter's case, he felt he could remove the cyst and save the ovary. He would only go forward with removing the ovary, if the cyst was determined to be cancerous (which fortunately it wasn't). Hence my daughter still has both ovaries today Who knows how well that one functions...but she feels a lot better about what was done.

If you aren't comfortable with the recommendation, you should definitely talk to a second or third doctor.

Good Luck!

Did you have symptoms, which prompted you to get it checked out, or was it discovered in a routine exam? I tend to ignore benign things that are "accidentally" found (and my doctor respects that).

Agree with the suggestions to get another opinion and then you, after hearing what the docs feel is best, can make an informed decision.

As others said: get a second and, if necessary, third opinion and make sure to understand the risks and possible side effects of all options.
I (age 53) am living with several myoma in my uterus for + 10 years now, and as they have no side effects my gyn and I just monitor every 6 months. Whereas my former gyn was more from the "lets remove everything once and for all" school.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice and suggestions as I appreciate it.
I think the guy must have another world trip to take cause all I could think of was cha-ching, cha-ching when he jumped automatically to the hysterectomy. I wasn't appreciative of that.:( Maybe it's what he really thinks is the only answer?
Regardless, I did a ton of homework on the net, read alot and came to the conclusion I could do--if the polyp grows and this occurs again, and it just might grow back (according to one of the articles I read)--a scraping of the uterus for this type of thing. That is a common way to proceed with a polyp from what I read.
A hysterectomy is not normally done for this, which makes me question the Dr. Guess I'll be looking for another Gynecologyst--even tho I think he knows his stuff and loved the way he carefully explained everything--but jumping immediately to a hysterectomy....uh, doesn't make me feel very secure with him.
I'm just going to wait a year, see if this happens again and then decide what to do. I surely hate to have surgery.

(Frankly, I kinda expected more women on this board to have experienced this.)

Last edited:
Did you have symptoms, which prompted you to get it checked out, or was it discovered in a routine exam? I tend to ignore benign things that are "accidentally" found (and my doctor respects that).

Agree with the suggestions to get another opinion and then you, after hearing what the docs feel is best, can make an informed decision.

I'm sorry that I did not explain myself well enough. I ended up in the E.R. for the day (8 long hours) to have an exam and MRI, cause I came in just gushing blood (nor the normal heavy menses either). Blood was splatting on the floor even.
On hindsight just tiny little signs that something was off but nothing at all to be alarmed about.
The blood, however, just started all of a sudden Sat. morning and got worse, so by lunch I went to the hospital.:blush:

I'm sorry that I did not explain myself well enough. I ended up in the E.R. for the day (8 long hours) to have an exam and MRI, cause I came in just gushing blood (nor the normal heavy menses either). Blood was splatting on the floor even.
On hindsight just tiny little signs that something was off but nothing at all to be alarmed about.
The blood, however, just started all of a sudden Sat. morning and got worse, so by lunch I went to the hospital.:blush:

This is a much different scenario than just an incidental finding . You really should get a second opinion soon .

Moemg, I did have a Pap last May (came out clean), and this Dr. took an endometrial biopsy last Monday which came out clean (whew!).
I had an MRI and vials of blood taken at the hospital, also. Since I heard no comment about those tests I assume they were clean. Do you think I need more tests? (I'll listen as you are a nurse.)
He suggested I have a mammogram, but I just had one in June, 2011, and was clean, also. Seems they don't want you to do one but every year from the way the lady at the mammogram sounded.

(The blood flow has stopped totally now.)

Last edited:
Do you think I need more tests? (I'll listen as you are a nurse.)

(The blood flow has stopped totally now.)
\

If it was me nurse or not I would have a second opinion and not wait until the bleeding starts again . Orchid , take care of yourself we want to enjoy our cougar years !:)

Too busy with the stock market to even be a dirty old woman anymore..ha!:cool:;)

When you look for a doctor for a second opinion, try a female doctor if you can. I find my that my female gynecologist has a different perspective on many issues.

Just my personal feeling on female issues.

Apologies for a late post on this but I've been away for a week.

Interestingly, the two doctors who recommended hysterectomy (see my previous post #2) were female and my current one (OK with monitoring) is male. So don't assume that a female GYN is less likely to recommend hysterectomy.

I find that I am tending to prefer a woman Gynecologist specifically, because when you say something like, "well, you know that feeling you get when you...." she actually "gets" it totally. The poor male Physician I feel has a harder time actually understanding totally. Can't blame him as I'd not be able to understand the actual feeling one gets in a penis either.:blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom