Porcelain Outdoor Pavers

TrvlBug

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone used porcelain for their patio and or walkways? We assumed we would be using natural stone but our landscaper suggested looking at porcelain. Did some research and we're impressed with the product.

One of our main considerations is maintenance. The current patio and walkway are aggregate look awful. We're afraid to power wash it because we'd still be looking for the pebbles to glue back in :LOL:. The product we're looking at is MSI Arterra.

We're also paving our driveway (aggregate again) and again, a non-natural product appeals...Calstone's Quarry Stone Natural Slate Texture.

Recommendations appreciated! Thank you.

I've never had either, but here's a quick article listing the strengths of concrete versus porcelain pavers:

https://braensupply.com/porcelain-pavers-vs-concrete-pavers/

Since we don't like naked links, here's a summary: Concrete pavers will likely last longer, withstand more extreme weather, and be lower maintenance than porcelain.

Thanks Bill. I've read a bit and based on my research am really leaning towards porcelain. Your article says it's cheap, the ones I read said prices are comparable to natural stone! The main appeal is practically no maintenance other than hosing off (just about anyway). Both our back patio as well as our walkways have some shade.

DH and I went to a dealer looking at the large porcelain slabs as well as their other natural stone products and the look of the porcelain slabs was excellent.

The only thing I'd worry about is slipping (but they look gorgeous). Like it a little puddle or mildew builds up, is someone more prone to have an accident and bust a hip on those vs. other surfaces?

Do shop around though, when I had my pavers done the variance was crazy, and I don't mean go the cheapest, but the most reliable and well reviewed as well.

The only thing I'd worry about is slipping (but they look gorgeous). Like it a little puddle or mildew builds up, is someone more prone to have an accident and bust a hip on those vs. other surfaces?

Do shop around though, when I had my pavers done the variance was crazy, and I don't mean go the cheapest, but the most reliable and well reviewed as well.

They are very slip resistant...built in the manufacture of the slabs. The samples the landscaper had with him were all very rough to the touch. Also very resistant to mildew/mold/moss; IIRC that's a non-issue because porcelain is non-porous unlike some other stone products, but am not totally sure. And I agree, they do look gorgeous!

EDIT: A neighbor up the street has what I think are the driveway pavers we're favoring. I think we'll knock on their door this weekend and ask how they like and how long they've had them. I think the install took place sometime earlier this year.

Last edited:
Bringing this up again just in case there are others out there with any input. Will be looking at both concrete and porcelain. As mentioned earlier one of our main considerations is maintenance...no sealers needed, non-porous and gorgeous!

Honestly, people just don't use porcelain tiles outside. They'd have to be installed on a base of concrete, and that's quite expensive to do. And if water intruded under the tiles, they'd crack in freezing temperatures.

Concrete pavers are installed on a base of fine gravel and sand--tamped down. They can be installed quickly and efficiently. In case you ever need to get under pavers for any reason, they can be taken up and easily reinstalled. They're the only way to go.

Note: I have porcelain 18" x 18" tiles installed outside on a 36' balcony under roof. The tiles have held up well to the elements however the preparation of the decking prior to laying the tiles was very expensive.

Porcelain pavers are a newer engineered material.

Honestly, people just don't use porcelain tiles outside. They'd have to be installed on a base of concrete, and that's quite expensive to do. And if water intruded under the tiles, they'd crack in freezing temperatures.

Not true.
My neighbors installed ceramic tiles on a bed of compacted sand/gravel.
Holding up well.

See https://www.belgard.com/products/porcelain-pavers

Concrete pavers are installed on a base of fine gravel and sand--tamped down. They can be installed quickly and efficiently. In case you ever need to get under pavers for any reason, they can be taken up and easily reinstalled. They're the only way to go.

Note: I have porcelain 18" x 18" tiles installed outside on a 36' balcony under roof. The tiles have held up well to the elements however the preparation of the decking prior to laying the tiles was very expensive.

These outdoor tiles are very different from the porcelain tiles used indoors. We used porcelain floor tiles for our bathrooms when we remodeled 2 years ago and IIRC these outdoor pavers are twice as thick and engineered for outdoor use.

Installation can be either mortar or sand set. No freezing issues here. And other than their absolute gorgeous look, the fact that no sealing is required is a huge appeal. Will still look at concrete, but at this point, porcelain has the edge for me.

These outdoor tiles are very different from the porcelain tiles used indoors. We used porcelain floor tiles for our bathrooms when we remodeled 2 years ago and IIRC these outdoor pavers are twice as thick and engineered for outdoor use.

Installation can be either mortar or sand set. No freezing issues here. And other than their absolute gorgeous look, the fact that no sealing is required is a huge appeal. Will still look at concrete, but at this point, porcelain has the edge for me.

Even if the new style porcelain tiles are twice as thick as indoor porcelain tiles, I will they stay as flat (as laid) over time in a sand or mortar base. And what's the cost per square foot?

I just think about all of the concrete pavers I see when traveling to Europe standing up to city vehicle traffic, and they're everywhere. Being thick, they just don't move around and lay flat for decades.

I remember seeing an advertisement on cable tv showing installation of pavers. They go down incredibly fast with a top notch crew. Time is money.

Even if the new style porcelain tiles are twice as thick as indoor porcelain tiles, I will they stay as flat (as laid) over time in a sand or mortar base. And what's the cost per square foot?

I just think about all of the concrete pavers I see when traveling to Europe standing up to city vehicle traffic, and they're everywhere. Being thick, they just don't move around and lay flat for decades.

I remember seeing an advertisement on cable tv showing installation of pavers. They go down incredibly fast with a top notch crew. Time is money.

Our plan is for the 24"x24" or similar size to be laid where our aggregate patio is as well as replacing a stone walkway (mortar set) put down 10 years ago and another new walkway replacing some more aggregate slabs. The new porcelain pavers/tiles will hold up the same as a comparable stone walkway or patio.

The driveway will be some type of small pavers. Don't know their material. The one we're favoring is a non-natural stone and may be concrete. Will have to do more research in this area. That will be sand set and when damaged, can easily be repaired by popping out the damaged ones.

With respect to cost, haven't a clue as it's all baked into the overall job cost. We are doing a massive redo of our landscape...in true blow that dough style.

Porcelain Tiles

We have porcelain tiles on our concrete back patio. These particular tiles have a PEI of 5...

We have porcelain tiles on our concrete back patio. These particular tiles have a PEI of 5...

I am assuming you are very happy with them and they are wearing well. When did you install them? Ours will also be mortar set.

I am assuming you are very happy with them and they are wearing well. When did you install them? Ours will also be mortar set.

Very happy with them. I set ours with mortar as well. A PEI of 5 is supposedly the hardest porcelain tile. They look the same as when I installed them. No cracks, no signs of wear. Simply beutiful...

Very happy with them. I set ours with mortar as well. A PEI of 5 is supposedly the hardest porcelain tile. They look the same as when I installed them. No cracks, no signs of wear. Simply beutiful...

Thank you...very valuable info. How long have you had them? We have decided to go with the porcelain tiles for the patio and 2 walkways.

Thank you...very valuable info. How long have you had them? We have decided to go with the porcelain tiles for the patio and 2 walkways.

I installed them about 4 or 5 years ago. Ours does not have a shiny surface. It’s somewhat rough so it doesn’t get slick when it’s wet. Ours looks and feels like stone...

Last edited:
I installed them about 4 or 5 years ago. Ours does not have a shiny surface. It’s somewhat rough so it doesn’t get slick when it’s wet. Ours looks and feels like stone...

Those are the type we're going with.

Back
Top Bottom