Post age, where you're at financially, and where you hope to be

What is your liquid net worth and what are your milestones?

Age- 27
Liquid NW- $75k
Milestones- To finish school...again.... I'm back in school full-time with students ~10 years my junior, but damn it's awesome.... I haven't posted in awhile since FIRE is now much lower on my list than doing well on the MCATs. So yup, I really did do it it. All those years ago when I said I would... :D So for all you FIRE folks worried about your healthcare costs- consider this post a coupon for 5% off your next exam once i'm Dr Marshac. ;) Thankfully IT is [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']conducive [/FONT]to consulting work (I do DB work now), so i'm not quite a ramen eating college student. Oh yeah, I also got married 3 months ago, and my wife an an RN...

How long did it take you to save up your first 100k, 200k, 300k, etc.
Not there yet.

Hi -

Where I am at: Off to a great start, but worked hard, long hours to get to this point. Started working (and saving/investing) full time about 2 years ago, and I managed to save and invest about 75k as of Friday's close. I should hit 100k by year's end, or January at the latest.
Where I hope to be: 5 million, minimum. If my dad did it in 30 years with a 7th grade education, broken english, and a heavy accent, then there is no reason why I can't do it (and faster) with formal education and 'proper' english.

Marshac - Congrats & good luck to you with school! Ironically, I'm finishing up my post-bacc right now at night, and I plan on taking the MCATs in about a year. It's very odd taking coursework at the undergrad level - they are so scatter-brained (but I was no different at that age).

My transition will be from finance to medicine. More money in finance (I'm literally setup to jump into a hedge fund or Goldman with my experience and contacts within a couple of years), but definitely not what I'd like to do for much longer. My personality and interests are more fitting to medicine than the business/legal world. I'll do it until I go to med school, and in the meantime, I will sock away as much as possible, and hopefully, work under contract part time when I am in med school (projected start at 29). Arg! I'm so jealous that you'll be in sooner! I can't wait to go.

Hi -

Where I hope to be: 5 million, minimum.

My transition will be from finance to medicine. More money in finance (I'm literally setup to jump into a hedge fund or Goldman with my experience and contacts within a couple of years), but definitely not what I'd like to do for much longer. My personality and interests are more fitting to medicine than the business/legal world. I'll do it until I go to med school, and in the meantime, I will sock away as much as possible, and hopefully, work under contract part time when I am in med school (projected start at 29). Arg! I'm so jealous that you'll be in sooner! I can't wait to go.

Ah yes, the young and idealistic.........
I know a guy who went in the opposite direction. He's running a biotech fund now.
Meadbh (old MD)

I'm 21. I've got 9K, no debt. Hope to have first 100k at 26. 200k at 29. 300k at 31, etc. Planning to retire before 40 just raking in the dividends.

Ah yes, the young and idealistic.........

My idealism strengthens as I age; Berkeley was on to something when he presented his theory. My mind & inner world keep blossoming.

Interesting as quite a few of my clients are former practicing MDs - neuroscience primarily. Low barrier to entry when covering the healthcare sector as an in, and now they manage their own funds.

Age 28 (today) - 300K
Age 32 - 500K
Age 40 - 1M
Age 48 - 2M
Age 57 - 4M

I would like to get an early retirement offer from my federal job between 48-57. However, if I really like my job at that time, maybe I'll just work till I'm 65 or so. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom