Pre-diabetic?

Kroger brand peanut butter contains some sugar and hydrogenated vegetable oils. But it is low in carbs. High in calories at 180 per 2 tablespoons (like all PB).

No, I am looking at the jar right now. It says ingredients: roasted peanuts. That’s it. You have to buy the natural. We avoid sugar and the non stir.

Last edited:
No, I am looking at the jar right now. It says ingredients: roasted peanuts. That’s it. You have to buy the natural. We avoid sugar and the non stir.

I wish I could get the natural kind for $2.99 like you!

I eat at least 3 peanut butter sandwiches every day so there are some carbs there. By sandwich I mean one piece of bread folded in half.

I skip the bread and all the additives. I have a couple fistfuls of nuts for my lunch. Mixed nuts, peanuts, almonds, or whatever is a good buy.

Kroger brand peanut butter contains some sugar and hydrogenated vegetable oils. But it is low in carbs. High in calories at 180 per 2 tablespoons (like all PB).

They also have a Kroger brand natural peanut butter that is made of only peanuts and salt. I buy it all the time.

Well, it sounds like you are not willing/able to consider 2 out the 3 best options, so you are left with a pharmaceutical approach. Ask your doc to give you a prescription for metformin (its cheaper than dirt...). Chances are you will tolerate it well and it can knock back your glucose level 5-10 points.
That said, my first shot would be to cut back on carbohydrates. Doesn't have to be zero carb, but just cut your carb intake in half and see what happens.

The FDA says the daily value for carbs is around 275g. I estimate I take in around 200-225 so I don't think I need to lower carbs.

If you want to reduce weight or blood sugar, the sure thing to do is eat less EVERYTHING.

The thing is I don't want to lose weight since I am 6'6 or so and around 175 pounds. I probably could lose 5 pounds of fat around my waist but people already comment all the time about how skinny I am.

The FDA says the daily value for carbs is around 275g. I estimate I take in around 200-225 so I don't think I need to lower carbs.

That's part of the Standard American Diet (which is truly SAD). Many mainstream medical folks will tell you that a low carb diet is under 150 grams. And even that is far above what the low carb folks would say.

The thing is I don't want to lose weight since I am 6'6 or so and around 175 pounds. I probably could lose 5 pounds of fat around my waist but people already comment all the time about how skinny I am.

Yes, but if more of your diet is protein (nuts, peanut butter, fish) you're more likely to put on muscle, which is important for seniors. Apparently we don't absorb protein as efficiently as younger people.

I know you're on a budget, though, so buying more lean meats, fish, eggs and nuts might be too costly.

You are better off aiming for 100g of carbs daily or less. There is no daily nutritional requirement for carbs, the body can get along without them

If you really want to head off blood sugar/diabetes problems in the future, you really need to avoid most processed carbs.

Well, what can I tell you: the FDA has it wrong - at least for YOUR situation. For someone who already has trouble controlling glucose, it is insane to consume 275g of carbohydrates a day. That's just MY opinion though (well, and that of many, many experts too...).
In my book, this is a very straightforward situation. Your body is telling you that it can't handle all the carbohydrates that you are feeding it. You are becoming insulin insensitive and your glucose levels rise. So, what should you do? Eat fewer carbohydrates! Doesn't that make sense?

Last edited:
Well, what can I tell you: the FDA has it wrong - at least for YOUR situation. For someone who already has trouble controlling glucose, it is insane to consume 275g of carbohydrates a day. That's just MY opinion though (well, and that of many, many experts too...).
In my book, this is a very straightforward situation. Your body is telling you that it can't handle all the carbohydrates that you are feeding it. You are becoming insulin insensitive and your glucose levels rise. So, what should you do? Eat fewer carbohydrates! Doesn't that make sense?
+1

JMO, but literally millions of people over decades have been misled to an early demise by following .gov recommendations. Do your own research, but the food pyramid as a cross population recommendation is worse than horse apples and has been since it came out. Don't take the advice of a jackass on the internet, but don't just accept .gov and the med/pharm industrial complex blanket recommendations either.

TBH, an obstacle you're going to have is that it costs money to optimize health, especially as you get older. The main cost is an optimal diet. Fresh vegetables, fruit and meat aren't cheap. Loading up on carbs as a cheaper alternative causes lots of people issues. Obesity isn't the only issue caused by a high carb diet.

If it were me, I'd spring for a blood glucose monitor and a hundred test strips. You should be able to buy a glucose monitor for not much more than an A1c test and a series of blood glucose readings is much more informative than an A1c. Check your blood glucose several times a day for a few weeks to see if you actually have an early warning problem and what triggers it. If you do have a problem, I'd rethink your willingness to change diet and exercise. Or get a 'scrip for metformin.

Last edited:

The FDA guide is meant to be a one-size fits all (it's not), and it doesn't apply to someone who has any dietary issues. Your doc can tell you better.

And yes the pyramid is woefully bad, and if inverted would be better for many people. Carbs = sugar = glucose levels for a lot of people.

That 275g is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Being as big as I am 6'6" 175 I can't reasonably eat less than 2000 calories for long before becoming emaciated. I burn that much doing minimal activity. I could drop from 200g carbs per day down to 100 but that would require eating more protein to get enough calories to function which is more expensive. Also many protein sources could increase my cholesterol and cause other issues so that is not necessarily a great solution either.

First of all, until you get an A1C (hemoglobin A1C is the full test name) you don’t know your situation and risk level.

If the result comes in at 5.7% or higher, your body is no longer able to healthily process the amount and type of carbs you are eating. You really can’t run away from that.

You can eat more fat and more protein to maintain calories.

Becoming diabetic means you are far more likely to develop heart disease than a person with normal blood sugar control. Trying to avoid potentially somewhat elevated cholesterol levels by keeping protein and fat low but drives you into diabetes is going the wrong direction.

Last edited:
If someone can come up with and present to OP which foods to eat and give him easy recipes that are cheap and low carb and have enough calories but do not raise cholesterol, I think he may try it. I can't think of any myself, but I'm thinking there must be some...

A lot of people in poverty are diabetic because they eat the cheapest thing that makes them full - like white rice, and pasta. I'm not saying OP is in poverty, but his budget for food is very tight.

Last edited:
Aaron, I sympathize with your fear of putting yourself in more pain by exercising.

Nevertheless, movement is essential for health - especially as we age. The less you move, the frailer your whole body - muscles, bones, connective tissues, organs - will become, and all your problems will get worse.

But you are still fairly young, and you are not paralyzed - you still can move about. A physical therapist can show you ways to exercise that are tailored to your disabilities and pain triggers. I really, really urge you to talk to your doctor about this.

Best of luck, we are all pulling for you.

My disabled neighbor was in a ton of pain all the time but the one exercise she could enjoy was swimming. IDK if that is an option because of course it would cost money to have access to a pool. I believe she had a subsidized YMCA membership or something like that. (She has passed or I'd ask for more info on how she afforded it as I know her disability check was small).

Last edited:
What did your Dr say about the lab test? Did he/she diagnose you as pre diabetic?

I wouldn't worry too much about a random fasting glucose.
Your dr should be able to order an A1c, hopefully at no cost, as a preventative test, based on your mildly elevated glucose, if you want to investigate further. The A1c will give your Dr and you a peek at the average blood sugar over three months, much more accurate than a single, random glucose.
Also, for pre diabetic, metformin can be prescribed, again at no to low cost, as a preventative to Diabetes.
Most important ,again, is a Discussion with your Dr., You could also perhaps get a referral for a one time nutrition consult with a Registered Dietician. He/She can educate you on tips/tricks and ways to get the calories you need and help with pre-diabetes.
Best wishes to you, Aaaronc879,

Have to chime in, as no one mentioned it yet. My doctor said that I am border line prediabetic when my last A1C came at 5.9. I also have a family history of Type 2, so that was a big alarm bell.

Diet that doctor proposed was not workable, so I went and got CGM (Continues Glucose Monitor). It is pricy though so I bought just 2 sensors that will cover 4 weeks just to learn about how my body reacts to different foods. To say that it was eye opening - it is to say nothing.
For example I can eat small piece of cake with buttercream after dinner and have almost no spike, Oatmeal by itself spikes higher than oatmeal with added butter, although both are still withing normal range. Big thing for me is actually white flour, like in pasta or in the dumplings, but not in the sourdough bread, very easy to switch. Potatoes - can eat a little but has to be with butter and after meat and veggies. That was the other thing that amazed me - order in which you each is also makes the difference, same dinner eaten in different order gave different results - tried that multiple times to verify. Couple more - if I sleep less, my glucose spikes are higher next day although I am eating same food. And 15 min normal/slow walk after dinner cuts the spike by a lot.

Of cause all of the above may be just me, so do not take my findings as general rule of thumb. I am on my last week of CGM right now and considering to buy more. They say that for some people insurance will cover it, but I am not sure what are the requirements, so that is something I plan to discuss with my doctor. Still one month of real time data for me was well worth the price.

Last edited:
My blood sugar’s been just over 100 for years, probably due to genes inherited from my mom. My A1C has been fine, but my doctor skipped the test at my last physical. I don’t have much of a sweet tooth, although that’s changing as I get older. I take Cinsulin, a cinnamon/chromium supplement available at Costco. I believe it’s helped.

Remeber Diabetes is a chronic disease. The more you can do to slow it down, no matter what your current status is, the better for your long term health. Don't let anyone tell you, you're only 105 blood glucose. It doesn't matter. It takes decades to develop diabetes so it's best to start prevention long before you have it.

Lots of good advice in this discussion. Especially about watching your carbs. I want to echo Exit 2024. You should get a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor). You can get an Rx and a monitor from AgelessRx.com. You don't have to be diabetic. It will cost you about $100 but you'll be able to see what carbs you can eat and what and when you can't. I can't eat any carbs at breakfast - instant 200 spike. I can eat almost any carbs after I get going activity wise during the day. Sushi at lunch however is a no no for me. The CGM will give you continuous monitoring for 14 days. Keep a food diary during it's use.

Also you should consider starting Metformin 500mg morning and night. This will cut your A1C by about 0.8. It is probably the best tolerated, safest, and cheapest treatment available to slow the development of diabetes.

Aaron you mention your need for pain meds. Are these OTC, RX meds ?, since this is a new change for you something might be connected with the pain relievers you are taking.

I really feel for you as you have had some bad breaks along the way. If there is a diabetic issue it's best to think about it now. Between your pain and income restraints things will be harder to turn around if they worsen. Generally your diet wouldn't be considered a healthy diet, but I'm pretty sure you are aware of that. Cheap, filling foods are very seldom low carb foods.

We're not going to pester you with food/diet tips but are all here if you want to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom