Product shortages in your area ?

We had a thousand dollar chair that took 6 months and delivered wrong.

Turns out the sales guy wrote it up wrong (no swivel) instead of the swivel we wanted. Just like the one in the showroom we sat on. While he was there and we discussed this would be perfect for the house/kitchen connection.

He advised we could have got that one sooner (that's what everyone wanted) and we got comped a hundred bucks.

Life in the covid times.

Talking frozen foods Costco in Tucson hasn't had organic blueberries for 6 months.

We (S.E. Michigan) can get the frozen organic blueberries but I haven’t seen frozen pineapple in several months. Probably a year now. We use pineapple for our smoothies so I’ve been getting fresh pineapples, cutting them up and freezing them. The good news is that I get about the same amount for half the cost.

^ You're looking for things that the big box stores see as "seasonal". Sprinkler stuff and insecticides are out of season - at least here in the midwest. I wouldn't be able to get either until spring...

They have ant-and-roach spray cans, and also hornet sprays. No mosquito/housefly spray though. And mosquitoes are bad this year, due to we having a bit higher rainfall than usual.

Several earlier posters talked about the high price of meat, particularly beef. Yes, the price is indeed higher, but they still run frequent sales . Recently, I got T-bone steaks of the choice grade (better than the usual select grade) on sale for $5/lb. I was a bit leery of the low price, but the steak turned out perfectly fine.

Fine with me. They can keep their products and then sell them to somebody else. And I will keep my money. The new items while important to me are not urgent. My home will still be comfortable, warm and dry this winter. And pleasant this Summer. Like Stephen Covey said - Win/Win or No Deal.

And they are trying to tell us this the new normal...I don't think so...pay up front and hope for the best...I wish people would just not do this..Everyone should payi with CC cards I'm pretty sure you could get your money bank for not receiving your product.

I don't think your CC company thinks "talk to the hand" is a responsive answer:facepalm:

No shortages of any kind here (near Geneva, Switzerland), except for Rolex watches I hear :D
I am thinking this is a global issue (the supply chain backlog) but it affects the US more than other parts of the world because of the west coast shipping logistics that forces many shipping containers to wait for weeks.

An interview video:
https://youtu.be/cWWMA5VQwRM

It's so much the cost as the requirement that I put up 50% without any type of guarantee that I will get the products in some reasonable time, or get my deposit back.

I have an acquaintance who purchase over $5000 worth of furniture earlier this year. His deposit was $2000. Deliver was supposed to be in 2-3 months, we are well past double that time. So far, no furniture and the seller refuses to refund the deposit. He recently located some furniture in another store which was immediately available, but.... since he can't get a refund for the previous purchase he is stuck. Not so good.

What is so hard about understanding that if you can't deliver the goods as promised you can't keep the money?

If this was a special order (custom fabric) then there should not be a refund. We ordered a custom fabric swivel chair and ottoman from a local ( not a National chain) furniture store early summer and were told at least 6 months for delivery. It’s not ideal, and the time frame could still “slip” to longer than this estimate. We made a commitment to purchase this special order item and would not expect to be entitled to a refund despite the longer delivery time.
Pick your reason for such a long wait for a piece of furniture (made in the US)…Texas freeze (oil based upholstery disruptions). Covid, Suez Canal shipping delays. What does it matter? We’re all subject to unusual delays.

I haven’t noticed bare shelves in the Southern CA grocery stores, but have definitely noticed significantly higher prices, both at retailers and restaurants. I’m not optimistic about prices coming down anytime soon between labor shortages, extra costs due to COVID, shipping delays, fuel prices, etc.

What seems to be very difficult to find is appliances. Our refrigerator in our rental property died. I had to call several places to get anything that could be delivered quickly, and had zero choice on brand/model given the urgency of the purchase.

Shortages we've run in the last year or so:

1 - bicycles. Low-end models were sparse, but available. Got two Schwinns from two different Walmarts (last October) - same model, but different hardware (ran out of Shimano gear, so got a 'lesser' brand on the 2nd bike) - this backlog is not resolved since last year. Anything that isn't low-end is damned near unavailable. Bikes ordered in the summer of 2020 have *still* not arrived to their buyers.

2 - campstove fuel - this summer in Colorado. Local hardware store had a standing order but their shelf space was empty. Walmart ran bone dry. Had to use canisters for Bernzomatic welding torches in our space heater. Then Walmart's shipment came in, had a full shelf and two pallets stacked 4 feet high!

3 - random grocery items - mostly this summer in Colorado, but also Texas and New Mexico. Things we buy regularly run out. Walmart is out of Diet Sam's Cola about half the time. Great Value pie fillings, low sugar (we eat those for dessert). Often empty.

4 - golf cart batteries - needed to replace four, two still under warranty at Sam's Club. Could not find any in stock in two states! New Mexico had three in Santa Fe, but the tire and battery department was closed indefinitely because they didn't have any employee to work that area! Talked to one employee who said they had standing orders but hadn't seen any in weeks. Finally located four in Lubbock. It was their last four, and I took them all.

5 - RV's - everyone knows about this one. Everyone ran out of used models last summer. Most people ordering new RV's are waiting forever. Thor Industries (one of the largest manufacturers) had a $16.86 BILLION backlog, basically sold out of everything for all of 2022. Only after they work through the backlog will they begin to build back inventory on dealer lots.

What seems to be very difficult to find is appliances. Our refrigerator in our rental property died. I had to call several places to get anything that could be delivered quickly, and had zero choice on brand/model given the urgency of the purchase.

I've been thinking I should buy a new fridge for my rental, the old one is 20+ yrs old. Better to buy one and get it in 1->2 months than be forced to buy a super expensive one as that is what's left in the stores. ?

Did you have to buy a more expensive one than originally thought ?

One thing there is a shortage of is computer parts..our tower pc needed repair and the hard drive failed. so local computer shop had to order a new hard drive ,that was yesterday and the expected wait for that part is 3-6 weeks due to the supply of computer parts being tight due to shipping delays.

I don't get it. I have personally bought a couple of hard drives in the last 2 weeks on Amazon and they came right away. At w*rk we have defnitely experienced some excessive delays on specific items though, but not computers or parts. We're not big enough to get any special favors.

No shortages I have witnessed recently in Hawaii. Costco is rationing TP but they have plenty. In 2020 we could not get yeast for months! But all stores seem to have it now. Even though we are in the middle of the Pacific, our supplies come mostly from California, Long Beach and Oakland.

I am thinking this is a global issue (the supply chain backlog) but it affects the US more than other parts of the world because of the west coast shipping logistics that forces many shipping containers to wait for weeks.

An interview video:
https://youtu.be/cWWMA5VQwRM

I was shocked to hear a week or so ago that both the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, the two busiest in the US do not operate 24/7. What is going on right now is inexcusable.

I am not usually an advocate for government regulation but these ports effectively operate as monopolies and should be regulated and held accountable for the backlogs. We need a good 60 Minutes investigation of who is profiting from this situation. I heard this week that both ports are foreign-owned. But my research suggests otherwise so I am no sure what to think.

I just looked at container volume through Port of LA. It is only incrementally higher recently and actually down about third from last fiscal year. If it is not port capacity maybe it is truck drivers. We have tens of thousands of qualified truck drivers in the active duty military and national guard. I don't want to turn this political but why are we not using them? The stevadore's union says they have plenty of workers ready to step up.

I get that we build a lean, efficient system and it is now stressed. But why are we not looking at creative ways to temporarily increase resiliancy and flexibility?

If this was a special order (custom fabric) then there should not be a refund. We ordered a custom fabric swivel chair and ottoman from a local ( not a National chain) furniture store early summer and were told at least 6 months for delivery. It’s not ideal, and the time frame could still “slip” to longer than this estimate. We made a commitment to purchase this special order item and would not expect to be entitled to a refund despite the longer delivery time.
Pick your reason for such a long wait for a piece of furniture (made in the US)…Texas freeze (oil based upholstery disruptions). Covid, Suez Canal shipping delays. What does it matter? We’re all subject to unusual delays.

You are missing the point, if the item has not been made there's no harm to the seller refunding your money. The seller is out nothing ...that chair they were going to make a year ago, oh well they won't have to make it now.

If you don't have your chair a year from now, you'll just sit and wait for it?

Last edited:
For us it was a second battery for the electric Toro lawnmower. It took awhile to even find a way to order it; I found a company in another state that supplies all kinds of equipment. I was able to order but had to wait four months. They would get a monthly shipment from Toro as well as an email, so I would call them a couple of days after the shipment/email date. But we have our second battery so we can now mow our entire lawn without a recharge.

I don't even bother with Sam's gas any more. Lines are just too long and the discount isn't that great anyway.

The area where I live has a reputation for cheap gas but Sam’s and BJ’s are currently 15 cents/ gal cheaper than average so they are the only ones with long lines. Up until a week ago there were no long lines. I don’t actually use enough gas to be worth it anyway and I still get 5% on the Penfed card.

I am acknowledging some hoardish behavior by buying gas when I didn’t really need to. Retailers are taking advantage of perceived as well as actual shortages.

I see your point on special orders. I don't know if his was a special order of just standard production.

But, in this case, even if it was a special order, I have to ask how long should the customer (who has paid for nearly 1/2 of the items already) have to wait? 6 months? 9 months? A year? Two years? Where would you draw the line?

At some point the product needs to be delivered or the deposit refunded.

Last edited:
I see your point on special orders. I don't know if his was a special order of just standard production.

But, in this case, even if it was a special order, I have to ask how long should the customer (who has paid for nearly 1/2 of the thing already) have to wait? 6 months? 9 months? A year? Two years? Where would you draw the line?

Even if it's a special order it's just sitting in the queue waiting to be made, once it's made and either shipped or delivered then no you wouldn't get your money back.

You are missing the point, if the item has not been made there's no harm to the seller refunding your money. The seller is out nothing ...that chair they were going to make a year ago, oh well they won't have to make it now.

If you don't have your chair a year from now, you'll just sit and wait for it?

Our is also a custom order (picked the fabric). Since it's being made overseas, I understand that the delay may well be mostly extra transit time vs. prior estimates. So it could be made, just not...here. I'm willing to give them some slack in the delay, but not indefinite.

Paying for made-to-order and waiting: normal. Paying and waiting 2 or 3 times longer, when the order was placed already during covid: nah that's where some concession is needed from the vendor.

The key is communication. A seller who is letting estimates slip and not telling me, and being snotty about it is a lot worse than one that's being proactive and apologetic.

Ordered a scanner from the big box office store because the web site said they had two in stock and it could be picked up today. Then I got an email that said, “Oops, not really.” I’m trying another big store locally that says they have one in stock. I’m fully expecting the same reply.

On another note, my brother’s refrigerator conked out and Lowes said he could get one but it would take a month. I told him not to hold his breath. Good thing the previous owners left a spare fridge in his basement, which is a PITA for him to run up and down stairs for anything.

Grocery shelves around here are looking a bit thin, although it seems to be a bit random as to what’s low on stock. Fresh produce seems to be generally of a lower quality than usual but that could be bad weather in the growing regions.

But, in this case, even if it was a special order, I have to ask how long should the customer (who has paid for nearly 1/2 of the thing already) have to wait? 6 months? 9 months? A year? Two years? Where would you draw the line?

All valid questions and concerns. Even under normal times, special order furniture can take weeks and months to be made, shipped and delivered. When we ordered it, we weren't under any illusion that this would be any sooner than several months. The furniture store has kept us informed of the status (not to specifically IF it was made or started yet) but as to the general expected delivery timing. Since we wanted the furniture for a place in our home, and we have other places to sit in the interim, we will accept delivery whenever it comes. Fortunately this isn't an essential appliance like a refrigerator.

All valid questions and concerns. Even under normal times, special order furniture can take weeks and months to be made, shipped and delivered. When we ordered it, we weren't under any illusion that this would be any sooner than several months. The furniture store has kept us informed of the status (not to specifically IF it was made or started yet) but as to the general expected delivery timing. Since we wanted the furniture for a place in our home, and we have other places to sit in the interim, we will accept delivery whenever it comes. Fortunately this isn't an essential appliance like a refrigerator.

OK get back to us in 18 months if you don't have your piece and tell us how you feel then. Even patient people have their limits.

With rising prices an "old" order at a lower price isn't going to be a number one priority for some companies. What if they can make a new non special order chair and get more money then they took from you? After all, they already have your money.

Last edited:
The microwave oven Best Buy promised me three days ago isn’t here yet and the wifes new iPad cover got lost completely by amazon. Northern ARizona wind and sun in flagstaff jacked up the prices on all the new solar system components I called about the day before. The prices on their website hadn’t changed.
I ended up buying all the solar components and five additional items on amazon. All got here on time and at a good price.

OK get back to us in 18 months if you don't have your piece and tell us how you feel then. Even patient people have their limits.

Especially when the buyer has already put down a hefty deposit of 40-50%.

I am not unsympathetic to the retailers who have to deal with supply problems. That's why I offered the window companies a refund date of double their estimated delivery. I would probably have agreed to 3x. But, no joy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom