Property tax relief for senior citizens and/or disabled - My experience

SojoMojo

Dryer sheet wannabe
I had first heard about the property tax relief for seniors and/or disabled about 5 years ago, but the county Assessor’s website on this program is NOT written in plain English so I found it hard to understand. I thought it only applied to disabled homeowners so I ignored it thinking that I did not qualify. With the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I had some time on my hand and re-visited the county Assessor’s website and did a deep dive into it until I found a page that explained the program in plain English.

The State of Washington and its local counties (and many other states and counties throughout the US) have a property tax relief or exemptions for qualified homeowners who are over 61 years of age, below an income threshold, and/or disabled.

I’m NOT disabled, but I did meet the basic qualifications:

+ Own the home you live in
+ At least age 61 by December 31 of the preceding year or disabled
+ Max income of $58,423 (2019 and 2020) or $40,000 (2017 and 2018)

I e-mailed all the documents that were required to the county Assessor's office for consideration. About six months later, I got a letter rejecting my application because I did NOT meet the income threshold. There was no other explanation for the rejection other than filing an appeal with the Board of Equalization. I was livid. I knew how much I earned and I knew that it was below the $58,423 threshold. I think the Assessor's office was just hoping that I would accept their decision and go away quietly. Instead, I filed an appeal with the Board of Equalization.

Last week, I had a telephone hearing with two members of the Board of Equalization. I learned that the Board of Equalization are qualified private citizens who are paid by the County to review and make decisions on appeals. They were both a bit dumbfounded as to why the Assessor’s office had rejected my application when my income tax returns and all the supporting documents clearly supported my application.

The Board of Equalization told me that they will approve my application for property tax relief and forward their recommendation to the Assessor’s office. I was told that there is a chance that the Assessor’s office might still reject my application and send it back to them for reconsideration. If the Assessor’s office accepts my application, I will get a refund on some of my 2021 property tax payment and my property tax relief is good for the next four years; at which time I will need to reapply.

I hope my experience helps others who may qualify for property tax relief. My state and county has an income and age threshold to qualify. I’ve been told that other states have NO income threshold, just an age threshold (usually 65 years old). In those states, you could be a millionaire and still get a tax break because you’re 65+.

Although I had to jump through some hoops, if you think you qualify for property tax relief, I highly recommend doing it. If your application gets rejected, file an appeal if you think the rejection was wrong.

I'm in Ohio and the requirements here are age 65 and income under approximately $35,000 or so. It goes up a little every year.

While on ObamaCare and getting the subsidy we were able to get the senior citizen tax relief for one year. We were careful about our taxable income and contributed $9000 to an HSA. Once we started Medicare we could not do that anymore and could not keep our income below the threshold.

Ohio used to have the property tax relief for anyone over 65 but a few years ago they changed it to only below a set income. My sister and BIL were grandfathered in so the first $25,000 of their property value is excluded from property tax.

Property tax relief programs are flawed in a lot of ways. Giving relief to people who don't need it creates a hardship for those that are low income but don't qualify for relief. My Dad is 100% disabled thru the VA so in addition to $40K/yr in benefits he also gets free property tax. Meanwhile I earn less than $20K/yr and still pay $3K in property tax on my very modest $110K home. Doesn't seem right.

In KY you only have to be 65 and the property owner. No income requirement. First $35,000 of assessed value is exempt.

Back
Top Bottom