Protests against Tourists in Barcelona

So...if a given city has 'X' number of tourists renting studios @ $$, and that's changed to 'X' number of tourists renting rooms @ $, (or cutting their stays short/going elsewhere), doesn't that possibly equate to a drop in revenue for the city?

Where's the upside?

The citizens are not in open rebellion due to their neighborhood being turned into a tourism center.

The citizens are not in open rebellion due to their neighborhood being turned into a tourism center.

First off, perhaps it should be established precisely who is in rebellion, (and how many of them), surely not the people who rent out their rooms/studios for some extra income? Are they not citizens?

First off, perhaps it should be established precisely who is in rebellion, (and how many of them), surely not the people who rent out their rooms/studios for some extra income? Are they not citizens?
The restaurants & bars in the area probably aren't in rebellion either.

The restaurants & bars in the area probably aren't in rebellion either.

Which is why I ask 'who?'. We're all familiar with the bomb chuckers/agitators/perpetually offended, (Monty Python's People's Front of Judea perhaps), who have no personal skin in the game, but who assign themselves a name which makes them appear 'caring', (if you're not paying attention, that is).

And somebody is funding them......not too many years ago, in Toronto, there was this Brit rabble rouser with an 'office', (paid for by whom I don't know, because I'm pretty sure he never held a job), and he riled up the 'protesting classes' about this or that 'cause'.

If you simply looked at the headlines you'd never know there was a small cadre of instigators surrounded by the easily led.

Since we (pretty much always) use airbnb and have never encountered animosity from area residents, I have to ask "Cui bono?", and also "Who Pays?" (the hotel chains perhaps?)

As to graffiti - one person with a spray can can cover a lot of [-]ground[/-] walls, and I sincerely doubt that "residents concerned about their neighborhood" would go around defacing it.
10yi9op.jpg

Funchal 2017.......everyone else appeared quite happy to see tourists.

I recall the Occupy Wall Street rioters who became quite upset when real homeless people had the audacity to 'invade' their camp and eat their (ordered in) food. :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom