purchasing vanguard funds?

bright eyed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sorry if this is a dumb question - but how is everyone purchasing their vanguard funds?

I see some folks go thru firms like Schw*b, Fi*elity or TD Am*ritrade etc. But i have also seen a few reference "opened an account through Vanguard" but also saw references to paying the broker fee to do it directly (and can you do that online or go to a b&m somewhere?).

How do you do it and what are the fee diff's between the b&m's and the discount online brokers like e*tr*de. if you are small potatoes (at least now) like me, is it worth going w/ bigger (more costly i'm assuming) like schw*b?

i tried to find past threads but didn't see a specific thread... :p

Several years ago I submitted a paper application and check with my first Vanguard fund directly to Vangard in Valley Forge, PA. Subsequent accounts IRA and 401(k) were also done with paper but the money came from rolloevr between institutions. Later on, I added accounts online with no paperwork.

I remember nords answered a thread on this before....you can buy ETFs through a discount brokerage, which I think is generally cheaper than buying funds through a discount brokerage or vanguard will charge you if you dont have a specific balance (I believe 10k) and you can dollar cost average into the funds through them....

I have an account directly with Vanguard (and have for 25 years). I may be low-maintenance or just have really low expectations (probably) but I've never had any probs with their customer service.

bright eyed said:
But i have also seen a few reference "opened an account through Vanguard" but also saw references to paying the broker fee to do it directly (and can you do that online or go to a b&m somewhere?).

Go to www.vanguard.com
Under "Personal Investors" in middle of page click on "Go to the site"
Near the top of that page click on "Open an Account"

The forms and info you need to open an account directly are accessible form that page.
To just invest directly in VG mutual funds (not ETFs, which I don't know about), there should be no broker fees or loads. Depending on balances, funds and type of account, there may be some small fees. For example, Roth IRAs with less that $5K balance have a $10 annual account maintenance fee. Most index funds with less than $10K balance have a $10 maintenance fee. There is a "What fees are there" item on the FAQ on the above page.
Many fees are waived for Flagship (high account balance) customers.

I don't see any reason to hold Vanguard mutual funds indirectly through another brokerage, etc., unless perhaps you are getting some broader combined portfolio reporting or analyses or similar services from them, and unless it isn't costing you anything to do so.

Vanguard also has brokerage accounts, through which I imagine you could do other fund families, ETFs, individual securities, etc., though I have no experince with that.

:-[ :-[ :-[

oh my goodness - i'm a total dork! i had gone to their site earlier and must have mistaken their "about us" site and couldn't see the personal investor portion - only info for brokers etc. ... oh i am soo embarassed!!!

i just saw the "who has your money thread" too...ok - now you can all stop laughing at me! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

can we delete this thread? :-X

thanks stw - you must have sensed the density coming from my direction!

Back
Top Bottom