Q: Cash needed in a Target Retirement Portfolio?

Shabby

Recycles dryer sheets
So I am quite conservative and as such I have missed out on a lot of the big gains people have enjoyed the last 10 years. I keep the majority of my retirement in Wellesley and a 2020 Target retirement fund. I also have about 14% of the retirement portfolio I live off of in Cash. I am looking to get some more money to live off of and wondered with that conservative allocation, could I just put the cash into the Target Fund and change it so instead of reinvesting the dividends, I get them in cash and use them to live off of the following year? Thoughts?

P.S. I'm 54, single and retired. I own my home completely.

Cash is the safe form for spending. If you put it into Wellesley or a target date fund, you may have a reduction in principal at some time. If you overload the cash bucket by 20%, I see no reason it couldn't be invested in a balanced fund with less that 40% in equities. Just remember it is no longer as safe as cash, but it won't be victim to inflation like cash. Always a trade off of risk vs reward.

Wellesley would likely fit the description.....

Good luck to you,

VW

For cash how about a short-term inflation protected ETF? I think Vanguard has one.

So I am quite conservative and as such I have missed out on a lot of the big gains people have enjoyed the last 10 years. I keep the majority of my retirement in Wellesley and a 2020 Target retirement fund. I also have about 14% of the retirement portfolio I live off of in Cash. I am looking to get some more money to live off of and wondered with that conservative allocation, could I just put the cash into the Target Fund and change it so instead of reinvesting the dividends, I get them in cash and use them to live off of the following year? Thoughts?

P.S. I'm 54, single and retired. I own my home completely.
Yes, that's what many retirees do. Reinvest while they are working, and take dividend distributions in retirement - exactly what I did when I retired. Might as well take them as distributions since they're taxed regardless (in taxable accts). If you want more cash, I'd take dividend distributions in cash before changing my AA.

Back
Top Bottom