Q: Suites in resort hotel with doorbells

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The "Why do people buy timeshares" thread got me wondering about something I recent saw in Hollywood, FL (roughly between Fort Lauderdale and Miami).

I spent a week at the Diplomat Hotel, a beautiful, large resort property by Hilton sitting between the beach and the intercoastal waterway.

My room was on the 24th floor. I noticed that there were several larger suites adjacent to my room....and they had doorbells. I first thought this might be where the manager's family lived on site, until I noticed that there were multiple units with doorbells. After a few days, I got the sense that these units might be owned and /or occupied by long-term tenants.

During the week, as I walked past some other nearby high-rise properties, from signage, I got the sense that some people actually lived in their units, possibly year-round.

I'm trying to figure out if these are some sort of time shares? Owner-owned units within a hotel or what?

I know this^ is all sort of based on my gut-feel...but does anyone know of such properties? Can you explain a bit further...what they are, how they work, costs involved, etc.?

omni

The "Why do people buy timeshares" thread got me wondering about something I recent saw in Hollywood, FL (roughly between Fort Lauderdale and Miami).

I spent a week at the Diplomat Hotel, a beautiful, large resort property by Hilton sitting between the beach and the intercoastal waterway.

My room was on the 24th floor. I noticed that there were several larger suites adjacent to my room....and they had doorbells. I first thought this might be where the manager's family lived on site, until I noticed that there were multiple units with doorbells. After a few days, I got the sense that these units might be owned and /or occupied by long-term tenants.

During the week, as I walked past some other nearby high-rise properties, from signage, I got the sense that some people actually lived in their units, possibly year-round.

I'm trying to figure out if these are some sort of time shares? Owner-owned units within a hotel or what?

I know this^ is all sort of based on my gut-feel...but does anyone know of such properties? Can you explain a bit further...what they are, how they work, costs involved, etc.?

omni

I dont know about that specific property, but when my Father worked at some very swanky NYC hotels, retired movie stars , Generals, inventors, and others lived full time at the hotel. It had 5 restaurants in the 1 hotel so they had varied dining and could order room service. They didn't get the regular once a day room clean. They got it 2 times a day, and fresh towels at night for a total of 3 towel changes. Some also lived there with their small dogs, which the staff would walk for them.

As far as costs he said they were paying "Big Money".

Thanks, guys!

Perhaps this is how the "buy-a-timeshare people" like to envision they are living...if only for a week or two? :cool:

omni

Last edited:
If you have enough money, it's probably a good way to live, although not what I would enjoy. Some places even have private elevators for residents.

I wonder if your room was in the Diplomat Residences, which is attached to the hotel?

Diplomat Residence | 3535 South Ocean Drive 33019 |

This is what I would call a Private Residence Club. The suites are owned, fully or as a fraction, by people who use them for their allotted time or put their unused weeks into a rental pool operated by the hotel.

I own a 1/12 fraction of a suite in a private residence club (not this one). In my building, there are two people who live there year round. The building operates like a condominium, with a Board of owners. There are separate budgets for the building and for the inside of the suites, including linens, cutlery, furniture upgrades, etc. For me, having only a 1/12 share of a small suite, costs are minimal.

Last edited:
That's right...they would "eek" :eek: if they saw what the full-time hotel residents were spending :LOL:

Remember Eloise, the girl who lives in the "room on the tippy-top floor" of the Plaza Hotel in New York City with her Nanny, her pug dog Weenie, and her turtle Skipperdee? She is not exactly on public assistance.

Thanks, guys!

Perhaps this is how the "buy-a-timeshare people" like to envision they are living...if only for a eek or two? :cool:

omni

I wonder if your room was in the Diplomat Residences, which is attached to the hotel?

Diplomat Residence | 3535 South Ocean Drive 33019 |

This is what I would call a Private Residence Club. The suites are owned, fully or as a fraction, by people who use them for their allotted time or put their unused weeks into a rental pool operated by the hotel.

I own a 1/12 fraction of a suite in a private residence club (not this one). In my building, there are two people who live there year round. The building operates like a condominium, with a Board of owners. There are separate budgets for the building and for the inside of the suites, including linens, cutlery, furniture upgrades, etc. For me, having only a 1/12 share of a small suite, costs are minimal.

Thanks for the explanation for Private Residence Clubs. That clears a few things up for me.

------

I stayed in the North Tower here The Newly Transformed Diplomat Beach Resort in Hollywood Florida

I recognize the pools from the Diplomat Resort Hotel being shown on the Diplomat Residence site.

Ahh...finally figured it out. The D. (Diplomat) Residences must share the same property and amenities with the D. Resort Hotel. Here's a photo I found with both shown. A is the D. Convention Center with workout room, B is the D. Resort Hotel and C is the D. Residences. Perhaps there was enough demand for D. Residences that they converted a few of the hotel suites into Residences?

omni

Attachments

• Diplomat.JPG
    Diplomat.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 17
Ahh...finally figured it out. The D. (Diplomat) Residences must share the same property and amenities with the D. Resort Hotel. Here's a photo I found with both shown. A is the D. Convention Center with workout room, B is the D. Resort Hotel and C is the D. Residences. Perhaps there was enough demand for D. Residences that they converted a few of the hotel suites into Residences?

omni

Could be. Another model that I’ve seen (at a Westin property) is that people buy and own a specific hotel room. They agree to let the hotel use it for a specific number of weeks each year. That might be what you experienced at the Diplomat Resort Hotel. In this model, the building of the hotel is heavily subsidized by owners.

Private Residence Clubs are usually just that, private condos. You need a specific electronic key to get to the top floor or to the building where they are located. (Keeps out the riff raff). Owners can use all the amenities of the hotel, including room service, but generally have fully equipped kitchens and laundry rooms in their suites. This is one reason why I enjoy staying in them. Because you can make your own meals, it’s very cost effective luxury accommodation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom