Question about a Prius (or an electric car)

I think all the questions have been answered but as a Prius owner I'll chip in.

If you take the foot off the brake the Prius will creep forward if you are on the level, but will hold its position if on an incline. In other words it behaves like a regular automatic. Removing your foot from the brake engages the electric motor. 18 months ago I had occaision to drive my FIL's car several times in the UK. Each time you came to a stop the engine turned off. As soon as you took your foot off the brake the engine started again ready to move off (it was also a stick shift). I never got used to the engine stopping and starting all the time even though I was used to that with the Prius - I guess that is because you don't hear the electric motor engaging when you take your foot off the brake.

The A/C works fully whether or not the engine is running. However, like a regular car, the heater does not start to blow until the engine has warmed up enough to have hot water flowing through the heater.

I think it is good practice to either have the footbrake applied or the park brake when stopped in case you are rear-ended. Some time back a colleague at work was waiting to turn left when she was rear ended. Unfortunately she had her wheels turned in preparation and was pushed into the oncoming traffic causing her to be hit head on as well.

/snip/
And for your second example of being rear-ended - who is to say that your brake light would not have caught the guys attention? Again, not really meaningful for a one-time example, but it is a possibility, with no downside. -ERD50

The time mentioned was in a car with an automatic... and my brake lights were on... and I actually pumped them because the guy looked like he was going so fast that I thought he was going to hit me going 60 mph in a 40 mph zone... he did finally slam on his brakes and only hit me going about 30... also, I had nowhere to go as it was two lanes and cars going the other direction and cars in front of me... I just sat there waiting to be hit...

It is not like I am sitting there blissfully ignorant of what is going on behind me... if there is nobody there, I pay attention to the people coming toward me and will tap the brake if they seem to be going fast.. heck, I do that when driving my other cars that have auto...

Also, in my thinking... if someone hits me hard enough to push me into oncoming traffic, then having my foot on the brake is not going to make that much difference... its not like I will not react to being hit and just keep going until I get hit by someone else...

So, I guess we disagree on the upside and the downside... not a problem at all....

I think all the questions have been answered but as a Prius owner I'll chip in.

If you take the foot off the brake the Prius will creep forward if you are on the level, but will hold its position if on an incline. In other words it behaves like a regular automatic. Removing your foot from the brake engages the electric motor. 18 months ago I had occaision to drive my FIL's car several times in the UK. Each time you came to a stop the engine turned off. As soon as you took your foot off the brake the engine started again ready to move off (it was also a stick shift). I never got used to the engine stopping and starting all the time even though I was used to that with the Prius - I guess that is because you don't hear the electric motor engaging when you take your foot off the brake.

The A/C works fully whether or not the engine is running. However, like a regular car, the heater does not start to blow until the engine has warmed up enough to have hot water flowing through the heater.

I think it is good practice to either have the footbrake applied or the park brake when stopped in case you are rear-ended. Some time back a colleague at work was waiting to turn left when she was rear ended. Unfortunately she had her wheels turned in preparation and was pushed into the oncoming traffic causing her to be hit head on as well.

Thanks for the answer... and also to Nords who said the same thing... it seems they programmed it in to act like an auto so you can creep at lights like a number of people do...

I do agree that having your wheels turned prior to making a turn is not a good idea... that is something that I learned not to do....

Thanks for the answer... and also to Nords who said the same thing... it seems they programmed it in to act like an auto so you can creep at lights like a number of people do.............

I think I said this in post #8 :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom