Question for Sourdough Bread Makers

Impressive, but as you say ("I've finally gotten to that point."), that takes experience.

I think a check for 200F is great starting point for beginner/intermediate and even advanced bread bakers.

For those with enough experience to "be one with the bread", more power to you! No one starts there.

-ERD50
agree 100%

I still probe when my timer goes off, every time.

So, for Christmas I got a kit to make Sourdough Bread. I just started the process this morning. The process to get started is a longer process than I thought.

It says after 12 to 24 hours, discard down to 1/2 cup starter then feed the starter with 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup floor.

So, when it says to discard to just a 1/2 cup of starter you throw away everything but a 1/2 cup and repeat the process for the next 7 days.

Any tips to this part of the process would be appreciated. Thank You

We started Sourdough bread base last night. The recipe calls for throw away half of the initial base and adding in more flours today. I have problem to throw away the half of the base, why would they request such a thing. I was googling it.
Thank you for starting this thread, I may just get some answers.

So, after reading and watching I still not clear on when I need to add more starter to sustain that stash for future bread making. When do we add more starter?

With this first starter batch I'm getting doing now, how many loafs will it make? I want to keep some starter back for future bread making.

We started initial process last night, and we are going to add another half flours tonight (24 hours), and continue add each night until 7th day. Then the base (starter) process is completed. To make a bread, see what your recipes says that how much base and how much flours required.

We started Sourdough bread base last night. The recipe calls for throw away half of the initial base and adding in more flours today. I have problem to throw away the half of the base, why would they request such a thing. I was googling it.
Thank you for starting this thread, I may just get some answers.

I wish I could answer your question fully, but I can't, so I do hope some of your seasoned sourdough experts here step in and answer that great question.

Good luck and please keep asking questions. I learned more from the people here than researching the process so far. There are things researching don't tell you. Tricks and tips.

I have problem to throw away the half of the base, why would they request such a thing.

In a nutshell, you have to maintain the proportions, so if you don't get rid of part of your starter when you're building it up, you'll have to add so much new flour that it will quickly become The Starter That Ate Cleveland.

Oh, My Oh My how can I go wrong with this amazing advice!! I'm getting more confident with this venture all the time. A bad loaf of sourdough bread is still better than a boughten loaf of commercial bread. If that isn't a confidence builder nothing else is.

I feel the same way about just about anything I cook at home. For me, it’s my bbq. Home cooking = better ingredients, no extra ingredients and someone who cares. Hard to go wrong.

I feel the same way about just about anything I cook at home. For me, it’s my bbq. Home cooking = better ingredients, no extra ingredients and someone who cares. Hard to go wrong.

Plus the cook is more attractive.

We started initial process last night, and we are going to add another half flours tonight (24 hours), and continue add each night until 7th day. Then the base (starter) process is completed. To make a bread, see what your recipes says that how much base and how much flours required.

I haven't looked at a recipe yet to see what those measurements are yet. My wife has got one that is a simple recipe for bread. I will be posting here the progress and results as we go through the next 7 to 10 days.

In a nutshell, you have to maintain the proportions, so if you don't get rid of part of your starter when you're building it up, you'll have to add so much new flour that it will quickly become The Starter That Ate Cleveland.
So....the main concern is the size of the dough, nothing to do with the fermentation. If I have a larger jar, I don't need to throw away half of the base

I’m not a bread aficionado. What is the difference between sourdough and regular bread. I recognize that the yeast is natural, but at a very basic level, yeast is yeast. What does this process do that changes the bread? I’ve eaten sourdough bread, but I can’t say I can tell any difference.

Street, this is the finished loaf. I was too aggressive with score resulting in the large ear. Using a new lame and don't have feel for it.

Not my best loaf but the person I'm giving it to will no doubt enjoy it.

Attachments

• 20240110_141603.jpg
    20240110_141603.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240110_141610.jpg
    20240110_141610.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240110_141621.jpg
    20240110_141621.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 6
[/B]
I haven't looked at a recipe yet to see what those measurements are yet. My wife has got one that is a simple recipe for bread. I will be posting here the progress and results as we go through the next 7 to 10 days.
this is mine

227 gr starter
400 gr water
600 gr flour
18 gr salt
6 gr diastolic malt (optional)

I’m not a bread aficionado. What is the difference between sourdough and regular bread. I recognize that the yeast is natural, but at a very basic level, yeast is yeast. What does this process do that changes the bread? I’ve eaten sourdough bread, but I can’t say I can tell any difference.

It isn't just yeast!

From Wikipedia:

List of microorganisms found in sourdough

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_microorganisms_found_in_sourdough

Sourdough is a mixture of flour and water inhabited by a symbiosis of Lactic acid bacteria and yeasts. It is used in baking to leaven and acidify bread.

Last edited:
Google will provide many benefits. But for me, the main benefit is the natural fermentation process is good for the digestive system

So....the main concern is the size of the dough, nothing to do with the fermentation. If I have a larger jar, I don't need to throw away half of the base
when starting, yes. the new flour adds food to feed the yeast growing in your starter. Once the starter is established you don't have to cull any of it.

I add as much as I need by way of feeding, then use the activated starter for my recipe, and the container with what's left goes back in the fridge till next time.

timing is one thing. you can turn out a yeast leavened loaf in 2 hours...2 and half perhaps. sourdough takes longer. I've done no knead breads with as little as 1/4 tsp yeast and a 24 fermentation.

depth of flavor.

I couldn't tell you from a molecular level.

I use yeast for some breads, semolina (Italian) for one, and used to use it for ciabatta, but has been working the starter in and eventually will stop using yeast for that loaf.

I've baked from 425 to 475 degrees and from 20 minutes (skinny baguette) to 46 to several ?? - oops - no timer set or it got turned off. Every loaf has tasted good. One of the best ways to avoid a doughy center is to allow the loaf to cool naturally for several hours before cutting - lots of heat stored internally that can take care of the cooking.

Currently, with this gas stove, at 50' elevation, in a covered cast iron chicken fryer pan sitting on an insulated cookie sheet, I'm doing an indicated 455 for 26 minutes covered and 16 uncovered for a round loaf. Sometimes I throw 5 ice cubes in on the cookie sheet to steam at the start of baking. It's all good.

Sourdough bread very much depends on the climate. San Francisco is famous for sourdough because their cool foggy climate apparently brings out the best flavors.

Also yeast varies quite bit depending on location.

I used to be an avid bread baker, even made ciabatta which can be challenging. But we don’t eat bread anymore.

Sourdough bread very much depends on the climate. San Francisco is famous for sourdough because their cool foggy climate apparently brings out the best flavors.

Also yeast varies quite bit depending on location.

That's very true, and what most people don't realize is that bringing a sample of SF yeast home and using it to make your own bread only works for one or two baking sessions. The yeast and bacteria will adapt fairly quickly to your home environment and the flavor will change. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it won't taste exactly like it does in SF any more. The same goes for Alaskan or any other geographically specific strains.

this is mine

227 gr starter
400 gr water
600 gr flour
18 gr salt
6 gr diastolic malt (optional)

Thank You for the Recipe. That is simple and that is what we want.

The loaf looks spectacular and delicious, nothing wrong with that at all to me. Perfect!!!

That's very true, and what most people don't realize is that bringing a sample of SF yeast home and using it to make your own bread only works for one or two baking sessions. The yeast and bacteria will adapt fairly quickly to your home environment and the flavor will change. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it won't taste exactly like it does in SF any more. The same goes for Alaskan or any other geographically specific strains.

Now that is very interesting!!! Wow

Street, this is the finished loaf. I was too aggressive with score resulting in the large ear. Using a new lame and don't have feel for it.

Not my best loaf but the person I'm giving it to will no doubt enjoy it.

So, what type of pan do you bake that bread in. In the picture I take it you just have it loaf resting on a rake and not that it was baked on that rake and a cookie sheet.

Heavy le cruset dutch oven. I also use a thinner pot with a tight seal.

Attachments

• 20240106_134912.jpg
    20240106_134912.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 7
You dont need a heavy pot. You can do it on a cookie sheet or pizza stone but will need a smallet pot or sheet for steam. Preheat that and dump some ice before putting the bread in the oven.

You'll need partchment paper, either as a sling to lift the doufh into the pot or to move the dough on the preheated sheet.

Back
Top Bottom